News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

that's what it's about, pure and simple.

If this place becomes any more of a " " contest, good folks will be departing with nary a concern.

Stan and me playing golf, appreciating the BRILLIANT Colt architecture, then meeting up in 'little America' with Bill McB for a couple of beers. Life doesn't get much better. Like it or lump it ye naysayers, we are enjoying the fruits of GCA cameraderie with no malice aforethought whatsoever ;D

Get over yourselves, park your egos elsewhere or be decent folk.

Luv'n'peace,
FBD (and SD and BMcB by proxy)
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Kirk Gill

Re: A round on the Eden, beers in the Dunvegan and GCAers having fun
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 09:43:48 PM »
Mr. Bonnar, I tried sending you an IM just a moment ago, and my computer glitched out, so if this message is a repeat, please accept my apologies.

I just wanted to thank you for your good will and good humour on this site. I enjoy the Merion threads, but I understand that they are a turnoff for many. I do respect the guys participating in the discussion, although I could do without the spitefulness.

Anyway, I also wanted to respond to your tagline at the bottom of your e-mails, as I am a fatboy, I gain weight, I'm not all that good at golf, I have a bottle of Lagavulin in the cupboard calling my name right now, and I have visited Scotland, if only once. According to my mother, maiden name of Sweet, our family is descended from Robert the Bruce, and even if that isn't true, a good part of my heart resides in your land. I hope to hoist one with you some day.

Kirk.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:49:13 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »
Martin,

Go bugger off you old fart! 

;)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:17:00 AM »
Martin - Sorry some of us missed seeing you Saturday afternoon at the Dunvegan with McB. Looking forward to catching up with everyone tonight in Anstruther. We played the Jubilee on Saturday and are tackling the New today.

As you say, Martin... this is GCA.com at its best.

See you soon!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:57 PM »
It continues with day 1 of BUDA, now complete with Rich's falsetto rendition of something undecipherable that resulted in a lot of free wiskey.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 08:31:54 PM »
Are you all still in St. Andrews??  I love that place...The Seafood Restaurant makes a great meal.  Enjoy.

Bart

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Martin:

One question: if in St. Andrews why go to a place owned by an American? I've been in that place twice and it's three too many times in my book.

Anthony

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 09:42:47 PM »
It continues with day 1 of BUDA, now complete with Rich's falsetto rendition of something undecipherable that resulted in a lot of free wiskey.

You sure that was falsetto?

(I am very jealous.)

P.S. Who taught you to spell whisky -- or, should I say, "wiskey"? Rihc? Before or after that alleged fasletto rednition?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 10:45:06 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Phil McDade

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »
Martin:

One question: if in St. Andrews why go to a place owned by an American? I've been in that place twice and it's three too many times in my book.

Anthony

I quaffed beers there w/ (well, next to...) Nick Price once, which was pretty cool. And it was after a round on the Eden.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:51:54 PM »
Was the perfomance anywhere near as good as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5qChE2tdSI

or was it more along the lines of this whisky induced Scottish kareoke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uiWFM8gQRU
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris Kane

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »

Well said.  I expressed this opinion a little over a year ago, and was shot down.  I then received a number of private messages congratulating me for speaking the truth!

Its easily the second worst pub in St Andrews, and is within striking distance of being #1.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:48:03 PM »
Chris,

You've exposed the Wizard of Oz.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 04:06:21 AM »
Fellows, it's really simple. If you don't like the Dunvegan, don't go. It's very convenient and I've been in love with Sheena for years!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 09:40:17 AM »
I feel compelled to put in a good work for the Dunvegan. 

Perhaps my experience was more favorable as I stayed there during the non-peak month of October. 

Often in the evening I was the only American in the bar and every morning before daybreak I joined the caddies for coffee and (their) cigarettes in the front room.  The latter was perhaps the highlight of my trip, particularly the discussion about a recent murder by baseball bat and the caddies' deliberation about where in Fife one could purchase a baseball bat.  They also offered to get me a skirt after I fetched another pot of coffee from the kitchen.   

Among those I met were David Joy and the keeper of the greens.

All in all a great time.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Bart Bradley

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:41 AM »
Anyone else like Ma Bell's?

Bart

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »

(I am very jealous.)

P.S. Who taught you to spell whisky -- or, should I say, "wiskey"? Rihc? Before or after that alleged fasletto rednition?

Given the circumstances, I'd say it was a pretty solid effort

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 06:52:22 PM »

(I am very jealous.)

Given the circumstances, I'd say it was a pretty solid effort

Now I'm REALLY jealous.

Of course, the past few days in Minnesota have been those spectacular bluebird days we dream about all winter ... as if that makes me feel any better!

Slainte.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Chris Kane

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 07:16:10 PM »

Yes.  Its gone a little downhill though: try the West Port in South Street next to the gate.
During summer, the best talent congregates at the Raisin, on the corner of City Road and St Marys Place.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
Dan et. al.

We concluded the Budafest about an hour ago, and a swell time was had by all.  I am sure that there will be threads and arse pictures galore in due time.

BTW and for the record, my voice on Monday was more castrato than falsetto, after Bryan Izatt and I had our cojones handed to us by Ian Dickson (gross 73 less 5) and Conrad "I'm a Pirate, Arrrgghhh!" Gamble (gross 75 less 15) in the morning (dying to put some sort of sad or sardonic emoticon here.....).

Rich

BCrosby

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 01:51:06 PM »
Rich -

Anyone who posts a net 60 ought to have all the beer he won from you poured on his head. ;)

Brian Phillips

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

Bart
Love it but I am getting too old to go there now....might not even get in there this weekend...
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Jim Franklin

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 02:31:04 PM »
Martin:

Anthony

Anthony -

I am sorry to hear that. I thought the Dunvegan was terrific and would go there every night while in St Andrews. The American beef was great and the Bud was cold.
Mr Hurricane

Brent Hutto

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »
Geez, half the reason I go to the UK every year is to drink a few pints of decent beer. Recommending an establishment because they serve cold Budweiser seems a bit mind-boggling. Sort of like endorsing London because its traffic is gridlocked as badly as Southern California's.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 06:07:30 PM »
Geez, half the reason I go to the UK every year is to drink a few pints of decent beer. Recommending an establishment because they serve cold Budweiser seems a bit mind-boggling. Sort of like endorsing London because its traffic is gridlocked as badly as Southern California's.

Brent:

I agree.  I didn't even go in the Dunvegan while in St. Andrews.  It just doesn't seem the right thing to do...find a local bartender in a local bar and learn about the life of a Scotsman....What a great evening. 

Brian:

Why are you too old for Ma Bells ...it didn't seem that wild to me.

Bart
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:28:28 PM by Bart Bradley »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 06:26:25 PM »
All this reminds me when I went to India a few years back for work. 

The first day there they asked me if I wanted to go to Subway or KFC. I politely declined and explained that I can have that anytime while back home and that for the entire trip I wanted to eat nothing but local Indian cuisine....which turned out to be absolutly wonderful and very inexpensive to boot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back