News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: A round on the Eden, beers in the Dunvegan and GCAers having fun
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 06:36:19 PM »
Kalen:

Of course when in Rome do like the Romans.. but don't get the idea that the Dunvegan is like a Macdonalds or Starbucks or something.  It's a pretty authentic Scottish pub in terms of looks; and you get the same beer or whisky there you do anywhere else.  The food is a little Americanized, but heck that happens all over also.  The problem is that the clientele is mostly visiting Americans. 

I must say I visited several pubs in St. Andrews, and one was the Dunvegan.  In fact we stayed a night in the little rooms they have there.  I do not regret the time there, it was fun.  But others did give me a much more authentic Scottish evening... or morning... or lunch....

TH

Brent Hutto

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 06:55:33 PM »
Some of my best friends are American  8) so I certainly don't find it a bad thing to encounter fellow "New World" denizens when visiting England or Scotland. But it sure adds to the experience to hear a variety of UK accents and phrases instead of the same old stuff I can hear at home every day...even if all they want to talk about is Barack Obama!

Dornoch had its share of American visitors and ex-pats but they weren't nearly so thick on the ground as I'd been led to expect by some commentary I'd seen. Brora and Golspie were mostly American-free (myself and fellow travelers excepted) although I did join up with a threesome of Rich Goodale's mates from Aberdour, which led to some guilt-by-association even though they were Scots.

I didn't make the Buda part of the trip so I can't speak to St. Andrews but after leaving the Highlands I didn't encounter any more of my fellow countrymen until arriving at the car-hire office in Glasgow on my departure day. But that was more than made up for by discovering Bellhaven's Best on tap at the Glasgow airport. One for the road!

Brian Phillips

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 02:39:31 PM »
Geez, half the reason I go to the UK every year is to drink a few pints of decent beer. Recommending an establishment because they serve cold Budweiser seems a bit mind-boggling. Sort of like endorsing London because its traffic is gridlocked as badly as Southern California's.

Brent:

I agree.  I didn't even go in the Dunvegan while in St. Andrews.  It just doesn't seem the right thing to do...find a local bartender in a local bar and learn about the life of a Scotsman....What a great evening. 

Brian:

Why are you too old for Ma Bells ...it didn't seem that wild to me.

Bart
Bart,

I am 39 and the Babes that frequent there are about 18 to 25....I love it there but they might just ban me one one day for staring....will find out on Friday and Saturday....trying the ballot for Saturday and playing that very new course down the road on Sunday....

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Bart Bradley

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
Brian:

I am 40...there is no law against staring. :D

Lift one for me.  Wish I were there.  Good luck on the ballot.

Bart

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back