News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

DuPont CC Redesign - A success! New
« on: September 20, 2004, 09:28:14 AM »
Here's a snippet of the newsletter sent to DuPont (Wilmington, DE) members on their course alteration project:

The process of seeding and the "grow in" schedule is amazingly detailed. As an example the DuPont grounds crew applied four different fertilizers (the major ingredients are phosphorus, nitrogen and potassium) and a fumigant to the nine greens above on Tuesday the 14th. In order for the seeds to germinate, the greens must be seeded within 72 hours after the "pre-plant" application otherwise the nutrients begin to leech through the greens mix and become less effective. Everyday and subsequently every week from the date of seeding, throughout the period of growth right into the spring, there is a schedule of preplanned actions, such as fertilizing, watering, mowing to various heights, all part of the "grow in" plan. This is the primary reason that the grounds crew wanted only two seeding dates rather than a different date for each of the 19 greens. The seeding that has taken place this week has been under the direction of Jerry Buchen, an agronomist, who has been retained as the "grow in" consultant. The anticipated rain from the hurricanes is not considered a problem in regard to seeding

Lester George, the golf architect, was on site on Wednesday and among other things gave final approval to the rough in of the revised 8th and new 15th greens. As you will notice on a drive by, the 8th green has been redone a second time. The green itself has been lowered and does not sit up as was the case in the past. Thus the surrounds have been dramatically reduced in severity (more player friendly). The green now blends in with the adjacent area with a more pronounced swale in front of the green that will improve drainage allowing water to flow naturally to the creek.

Sounds like some good things in store for DuPont!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 02:49:29 PM by Dan Herrmann »

mike_malone

Re:Dupont Restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 09:56:18 AM »
hate to see that #8 green go--it was fun! I look forward to the new #15--I understand it will be placed to the right of the creek.
AKA Mayday

mike_malone

Re:Dupont Restoration
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 10:02:55 AM »
I guess because Uncle Dupie has so many chemists they can send this kind of announcement.
AKA Mayday

John Gosselin

Re:Dupont Alteration
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 08:53:59 AM »
Mike, I found Tull's original drawing for our DuPont Course hole punched in the club's boards minutes from 1946 about three years ago. We are using it to undo the industrialized look that had evolved from all the well-intended experts over the years. I am using much of same approach I took at Rolling Green from the day they interviewed me until the day I left. Some examples of things we are correcting are: removing secondary tree lines, widening the fairways, removing blacktop cart paths that were in view and in play, rebuilding all of the bunkers to a more traditional look, rebuilding all the greens with contours that were lost through a 1954 rebuild effort, adding lots of tee space, and lots of drainage.

I would not call it a restoration, but it could be considered a sympathetic restoration as we are trying to put back some of the strategies and interest that Tull had on his original design. Lester George has done a fantastic job of finding all the little things that will make this course interesting and fun for all players.

Feel free to get a hold of me if you would like a tour. We are in the grassing stages of construction, so it is starting to come together. Warren knows how to get a hold of me.
Great golf course architects, like great poets, are born, note made.
Meditations of a Peripatetic Golfer 1922

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 09:11:39 AM »
 John,
 If you can get some contour in those greens it would be wonderful.
AKA Mayday

bstark

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 09:27:16 AM »
  If they are moving the 15th green to the right of the creek where will the 16th tee be? The 16th was a slight dogleg right (par 5). If the green is moved over the creek then the new 16th tee would have to be moved further over, thus eliminating the dogleg and producing a straighter hole correct??

mike_malone

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 09:31:34 AM »
I believe that is the plan;that was always a funky dogleg.
AKA Mayday

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004, 09:49:30 AM »
so would the new 16 tee be over near 11 green?

mike_malone

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2004, 10:00:13 AM »
 Not quite;I would guess some 125 yards from it.There is alot of space in those trees.
AKA Mayday

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2004, 10:21:57 AM »
so would the new 16 tee be over near 11 green?

I think you mean the 12th green.

Here's the aerial:

The new 16th tee will be on the opposite side of the creek as
the current tee (and the same side as the new 15th green
will be, making 15 a dogleg).  They could keep the new 16th
(back) tee on the far side of the creek but just put in near
the 13th tee.

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2004, 10:25:54 AM »
That picture makes it seem that the new #16 tee will be closer to #12 than I said.
AKA Mayday

bstark

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2004, 10:37:35 AM »
 Is the pond gonna stay on number 3? I always thought it was a little too artificial looking ???

mike_malone

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2004, 10:44:10 AM »
 think pond goes
AKA Mayday

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2004, 10:47:14 AM »
I wonder if the cart path between the bunker and the fairway
on #1 will be moved?

Funny thing about the cart paths is that I don't remember
ever seeing a single person ride while I was a member for two
years from '92-'93, even on the Louviers course, the very
hilly off-site course of the 4 DuPont had.  I stopped in on the
course formerly known as Louviers (now Deerfield, owned by
MBNA, although DuPont members still have playing privileges
there) last fall and everyone was riding.

My how times change.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2004, 11:43:34 AM »
You're right - for some reason I thought 11 green was back there, but 12 gets back to where the tee would be.    They'll really need to work on the drainage in there, though.  That area between 11 green and 16 fairway (outside corner of the dogleg) can get really wet.

I'm glad the pond on 3 goes too.

And, if you can't walk Duppee, you can't walk.  It's a great walking course!

Lester George

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2004, 03:52:13 PM »
Some clarification.  

The pond on 3 is gone.  Tees on 3 are moved back about 40 yards and to the golfers right about 15 yards.

15 green is faced with rock and "stacked on the creek edge.  Hole is about 450 yards now.  

16 tees are up in the woods between 12 green (same places as before) and the green on 15

5 green is now back closer to the road where it once was.

1 green is left of old location about 20 yards.

8 green is better because it resembles what Tull originally drew instead of the DuPont makeover.

Course has much more interest off the tees, and yes the cart paths have been relocated on almost every hole.

Lester George

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 02:51:44 PM »
I just thought I'd bring this back up to see if anyone has any updates on the work, or if anyone's been down yet to see the changes?

Dupont always seemed to me to be a course with a lot of potential.  

Dan Herrmann

Re: Dupont Alteration
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 07:59:06 AM »
I was fortunate enough to play the new DuPont yesterday.  It's extremely well done and a MUCH better golf course than the original.

I thought the green complexes were really wonderful.  Lots of subtle countours, great, strategic bunkering.  And the greens rolled so well - they were firm and fast and you needed to be defensive on any downhill putt.

This is now a golf course that really makes you think on every shot.

15 is a total makeover with a split fairway.  The angles on this hole make it really great.  16 has a completely different feel too - they took a pedestrian par 5 and made it a very strong hole.

But 18 really surprised me.  They took the area over to the left of the creek (where Laura Davies used to hit it during the LPGA Champ.) and made it a split fairway.  They left a big tree in-between the fairways, and I think it really adds to the character of the hole.   

WOW - what a great redo of what was a course I really enjoyed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back