News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

#18 Torrey Pines
« on: June 13, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
I like the USGA going to "true public courses" and I like the USGA getting the Open to San Diego.  And I am fine with Torrey Pines having the US Open, and I am very much enjoying this Open to this point.

I am also fine with 18, except for that concrete pond.  Isn't there anything The Open Doctor could have done with that pond?

I much prefer creeks to lakes, but I gather this pond is completely artificial and there is no way to create a creek.

The pond infront of #15 at Augusta should be the basis, while leaving the opening on the right for the many amateurs who play this course.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008, 09:36:18 PM by Bill Shamleffer »
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Matt_Cohn

Re: #18 Torrey Pines
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 09:39:49 PM »
There's a lot more room around the pond at Torrey than the one at Augusta.

Would you like it more if the water level were 4 inches higher?

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:45:58 PM »
There's a lot more room around the pond at Torrey than the one at Augusta.

Would you like it more if the water level were 4 inches higher?

I think it could stay close to its current size, and maybe even a little smaller.  I just think some landscaping could have been done to make it look less artificial.  Also, I think it should be deeper with a dirt bottom.  I saw Justin Rose have one hit the water, but because of the shallow water and the concrete bottom it hopped out.  Now granted his ball rolled back down the shaved front and still ended up in the pond.  But it just seems wrong for balls to bounce out of a water hazard in the US Open
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

mike_beene

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 10:42:49 PM »
I remember at one time there was no pond. Probably inspired by Augusta.Is it really concrete? From 250 yards out,can you see the pond?

Brett Hochstein

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:29:28 AM »
Does this pond and this hole remind anyone else of the final hole of the U.S. Open in Tin Cup on that southeastern Myrtle Beach-type course?  Never imagined the real U.S. Open being contested on one of those types of courses, but this year there are some similarities.

I understand that there could be some heroic risk/reward thrills with the finish, but to me that pond  just seems like a cheap and easy cop-out, sort of like sex and violence in a movie--no real substance.
"From now on, ask yourself, after every round, if you have more energy than before you began.  'Tis much more important than the score, Michael, much more important than the score."     --John Stark - 'To the Linksland'

http://www.hochsteindesign.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 01:09:00 PM »
I fished a ball out of that pond 2 weeks ago and my club did not feel concrete, only clay; where did you get the information that this is a cement pond?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 06:09:57 PM »
Pete - it really looks that way on TV.

John Moore II

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:25:56 AM »
I am fine with the hole as is. Granted it is fake, but it makes for a great tournament hole, allowing for multiple options and potential for things like Tiger did today on the hole. Now, that doesn't mean I want this kind of hole on every course, but here, in this case, it works well, cement or not.

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 10:59:30 AM »
I am just glad they decided to play it as a par 5...

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
Where did you get the information that this is a cement pond?

Jethro told him so ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 12:27:21 PM »

Jethro told him so ...
[/quote]

We have our first Max Behr attribution!
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008, 09:44:23 PM »
If nothing was changed except the par today they would have made a big deal out of Rocco bogeying it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008, 09:53:33 PM »
I just wish they could get that pond to look as natural as those 1/8 inch high fairways, those 100 naturally and randomly occurring and perfectly raked bunkers
or that common occurance in nature-an area of grass that stimps at 13
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 09:57:21 PM »
Did you notice that NBC's graphic had a fountain in the middle of the pond?

Brad Klein

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »
Give Rees credit; he enlarged the pond.

mike_beene

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 10:02:03 PM »
From 25 meter to 50 meter? They need a no diving sign to stay out of trouble with Cal law.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 10:10:25 PM »
I remember at one time there was no pond. Probably inspired by Augusta.Is it really concrete? From 250 yards out,can you see the pond?

On Thursday or Friday I saw a Justin Rose shot hit the pond, but then bounce out.  I thought a commentator said the pond had a concrete bottom.  I gather from this discussion that the bottom may not be concrete.

After the last two days, I have less of an issue with the TV visual asthetics of this pond.

I thoughly enjoyed this US Open.

I would think that Tiger may have some issues with #1 though. ;)

Mike Benham

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 12:42:26 AM »
They need a no diving sign to stay out of trouble with Cal law.

Bilingual of course ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

rjsimper

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 09:06:59 AM »
Did you notice that NBC's graphic had a fountain in the middle of the pond?

There is typically a fountain in it.  They decided to turn it off for the Open.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:36 AM »
Where did you get the information that this is a cement pond?
Jethro told him so ...

Folks, there is always a Hillbilly connection.  Even on Wayne's World Irene Ryan was named an all-time top ten babe.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back