News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Torrey Pines original designer- A clarification
« on: June 13, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
Since there is still some confusion on who originally designed Torrey Pines (even by those who cover golf in general and this tournament in particular) and that there are TWO Bells (Sr and Jr, father and son) I thought I'd post this link by Ron Whitten that helps clarify things (see section 4). It's important to distinguish the difference between the 2 because (Bell sr) was a much better architect than his son (Bell jr or William Francis Bell) and by knowing who was responsible for what gives us an education on the capabilities of both.

http://www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/special/usopen/2008/gw20080606whitten

Also, confusion is furthered by referring to Jr as "Billy" when his father was the one known as such. When this common shortening of the name William is applied to both it makes it very confusing on who did what. For the record, William Francis Bell (jr) was not known as "Billy". Those who are familiar with both of the architects and their courses know that when Billy Bell is mentioned, it is Sr that is being talked about. Ironically, William Franics Bell is not technically  a Jr since his father was William Park Bell, but by calling him Jr it has made it easier to distinguish the two.

Some may say "So what, what's the big deal? Your straining at gants!" Well, wouldn't we agree that George Fazio's work should be distinguished from Tom Fazio's? The Maples? The Dunn's, the Dye's, the Gordon's, the Hawtree's, the Jones, the Maxwells, the Rainvilles and the Robinsons? Of course we would because then we can look at the tendencies of both and debate the talents of the individuals.

We can be fairly certain that had Bell sr actually designed and constructed Torrey Pines, we would have seen a different (and likely better) result.

...and now, back to our regulary scheduled  program.......
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

Re: Torrey Pines original designer- A clarification
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 03:59:17 PM »
Has anyone heard Bell's name mentioned once during the broadcast?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
Thanks for putting this up, DS.

The everyday "Billy Bell" mix-up for local GCA nerds......and the resultant clarification process............is one of the more frustrating exercises we go thru on a regular basis. Having said that, the difference is so substantial/emotional that it is always worth the effort.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:01:43 PM »
well i thank you for putting it up.... because in had been mislead on this point prior to posting my torrey vs pebble thread... so what year did torrey pines open?

Allan Long

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 12:16:03 PM »
Has anyone heard Bell's name mentioned once during the broadcast?

Yes, late in the day on Thursday. Unfortunately, I think they mentioned William P. Bell. I didn't DVR it, so I can't go back and check but I thought they gave credit to the wrong Bell. Imagine that.

well i thank you for putting it up.... because in had been mislead on this point prior to posting my torrey vs pebble thread... so what year did torrey pines open?

1957.  Billy Bell, Sr. (W.P. Bell) died in 1953.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back