News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Choi

Re: Wexler on Torrey Pines
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2008, 05:58:26 PM »
Is anybody else impressed with the lack of red numbers at this year's US Open?

You gotta give Torrey Pines some props. At least resistance to scoring wise, the course is looking pretty good.

And this is with EVERY golfer talking about how fair the setup is this year.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2008, 06:05:59 PM »
Kalen,

Go play some public golf in California and ask the white guys you are paired with what they think about Korean golfers.  I have never heard such genuine hate from what I would assume not to be ignorant people.  I do not understand why it has become accepted practice.  It had not quite built to the point it is now back when the Asian group owned Pebble.

John,

Very ironic once again. I grew up in nor cal and spent most of my golfing days there playing nor cal munis.  Never ever heard any talk, even remotely close to that kind of nonsense.

Nothing like 1 rash data point to base an entirely false premise on John.

As for Pebble, they have been playing the Open there since the early 70's?  I'm quite sure the USGA awarded the open there at least a few times while the Asian group owned it.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2008, 06:36:03 PM »
This is one time I am happy to be wong.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2008, 09:37:00 PM »
Look at the variety of bunker faces Rees has developed.  Some flashed up, some sodded.  The shot value of each errant delivery is a great measure of very thoughtful architecture.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 12:46:18 AM »
Simply put, Torrey Pines is a "good" golf course IMHO.  It can't hold a match up to the inferno that is Riviera.

Torrey is attractive on many levels that have nothing to do with golf course architecture.  Parking, access, location, local community and their cooperation, an extra course on-site for tents, etc.  Basically, it's logistically easier to host an event there than Riviera. 

The "public golf course" angle is laughable.  Torrey couldn't sniff Bethpage if it were blown up and MacKenzie were revived to build a new course there.

Oh yeah... plus all those involved in the tournament can go get fitted at Callaway, Titleist or TaylorMade just up the street in Carlsbad and then shoot on down to TJ to go to some donkey shows and observe a drug war first hand.  It's all about perks my friends.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Jim Nugent

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 02:28:34 AM »
Is anybody else impressed with the lack of red numbers at this year's US Open?

You gotta give Torrey Pines some props. At least resistance to scoring wise, the course is looking pretty good.

At first glance I was more impressed with how many more low scores there have been this year compared to last.  Oakmont had 8 scores in the 60's last year.  Torrey has already had 13, and that's just through two rounds.

On the other hand, 150 made the cut at Oakmont, 149 at Torrey.  Almost exactly the same.  I'll be interested to see how scoring compares at the two courses, after the tournament ends this year. 

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »
Wexler does excellent work. A bit cynical at times, but better to err on that side of the equation than the other.

I made it down yesterday; a complete lack of wind was surprising given this time of year. If it comes up today/tomorrow, look for scores to move higher. It was impressive; the firmness of the Kikuya which they have achieved is inspiring, the first cut of rough was very fair, and a fun mix of pin and tee locations. Kudos on the transformation to the USGA and the local staff. The marshall on the 8th hole was also in fine form.

You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Lou_Duran

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
The "public golf course" angle is laughable.  Torrey couldn't sniff Bethpage if it were blown up and MacKenzie were revived to build a new course there.  per Jeff Fortson

Really?  You don't think TPS being public played a big role in the USGA's decision?  There are some 16,000 courses in the U.S.  Most agree that Bethpage Black is well within the top 100.  I suspect that a similar number would agree that TPS falls somewhat below, but certainly in the top 200 - 300 courses.  Is "good" the best you can offer to describe TPS?  As a test of golf for you as an outstanding player, would BB be that much better than TPS?

Re Riviera: by "inferno" do you mean hot as in climate or in terns if the political environment there?  I would imagine that they'd have to really grow the rough really high and tuck the pins to make Riviera a strong test at par.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back