News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

M. Shea Sweeney

Atlantic Golf Club
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
What are your thoughts on Atlantic?

Possibly Reese Jones best effort?

TEPaul

Re: Atlantic Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:33:09 PM »
I don't know it at all but Pat Mucci sure does. I had a nice chat last week with Atlantic's Lowell Shulman. What a nice guy and he's also been awful good to the USGA with his golf course.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »
Mike,
I played it last week and it is very good.....I have played a few RJ courses and really don't have a problem with his work.....if not his best at least one of his best sites.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ed Oden

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:47:56 AM »
I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it.  Atlantic doesn't have the wow factor of its neighbors.  Not as many memorable holes.  The greens in particular were fairly ordinary.  But all in all it is a solid course that I think most would enjoy unless they are expecting it to be the equal of Shinnecock, NGLA or Friars Head.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 01:25:30 AM »
I think most would enjoy unless they are expecting it to be the equal of Shinnecock, NGLA or Friars Head.

Well, yeah, pretty much that's what we expect..... :-\
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »
Ed Oden,

They routinely get those greens to 11+ and with those slopes, I can tell you that those greens at that pace provide more than ample challenge.

There's always my favorite element in play at Atlantic, the WIND.

Lowell Schulman with the help of Brad Klein wrote a great book on Atlantic.
"The Miracle on Breeze Hill"  It's great reading if you're interested in how golf courses come to life.

Atlantic keeps getting better

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 08:48:57 AM »
Patrick Mucci-

I have read bits and pieces of the book.

I think Atlantic is very underated, and if located else where would be hihgly regarded, more so than it is.

It shows something that I personally have not seen on Reese courses (maybe I haven't played many Reese courses then),  its driveable Par 4's and a great short par 3. The new 17th hole is excellent.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
Kelly,

I've also heard Bob Ranum has done some excellent work, particularly with regard to a significant change in bunker style throughout the course.
jeffmingay.com

Ed Oden

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:36:55 AM »
I think most would enjoy unless they are expecting it to be the equal of Shinnecock, NGLA or Friars Head.

Michael, why is that the case?  While Atlantic may not be at the level of Shinnecock, NGLA or Friars Head, that is more of a testament to the lofty standard of those courses than an indictment of Atlantic.  It is very good.  I doubt you would be disappointed.

Ed Oden

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06:36 PM »
Ed Oden,

They routinely get those greens to 11+ and with those slopes, I can tell you that those greens at that pace provide more than ample challenge.

Patrick:

I didn't mean to imply that the greens weren't challenging.  Certainly they were speedy and in terrific shape.  But those traits can pretty much be created anywhere and are not, in my opinion, a barometer of overall quality.  For me, the greens were the least memorable aspect of the course.  Admittedly, I've only played Atlantic once.  Perhaps my opinion would change with repeated rounds.  Regardless, it doesn't detract from my feeling that Atlantic is a fine track.

Ed

Michael Dugger

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:03 PM »

Michael, why is that the case?  While Atlantic may not be at the level of Shinnecock, NGLA or Friars Head, that is more of a testament to the lofty standard of those courses than an indictment of Atlantic.  It is very good.  I doubt you would be disappointed.

Ed

Is there something wrong with having high expectations?

I will admit, in lieu of the bunker reno. the course looks a lot more appealing.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Ed Oden

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:47:06 PM »
Ed

Is there something wrong with having high expectations?
Michael:

Not at all.  Expectations are inevitable.  If your expectation is that Atlantic should be as good as 3 neighbors which are arguably in the US top 25, then I would agree with you that it fails to meet those expectations.  But for me it was just the opposite.  Atlantic actually exceeded my expectations.  I didn't think I was going to like it because all the previous Rees Jones courses I had played were very ordinary.  I was pleasantly surprised that there was substance behind the hype.  I ordered the cheeseburger and got a NY strip.  So I wasn't disappointed it didn't taste as good as the filet.

Ed

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:02:34 PM »
Kelly Blake Moran,

Bobby Ranum and Rick Hartman are intimately involved and form part of a team determined and dedicated to improving Atlantic.

The effort is continuous and the results speak for themselves.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back