News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Wind to be inducted in the HOF
« on: June 10, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »
It's about time. I don't know if this has been brought up (I didn't see it mentioned in MacWood's revived HWW thread), but I cannot believe that it took this long. Here's BK's article.

http://www.golfweek.com/story/wind-hof-060908
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Pete_Pittock

Re: Wind to be inducted in the HOF
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:21:09 PM »
David,
I revived the HWW thread today with a specific reference to the induction.
It is reply 52.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:23:58 PM »
Sorry, Peter. Didn't look closely enough. :-[
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ron Farris

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:02 AM »
Dang,

I thought this was going to be a thread about the affects of wind upon shots and how it has dictated U.S. Open winners, British Open winners, and the winner of the $2 Nassau at the local trunk slammer public tract.  I hit a shot yesterday, which was a distance of 120 yards into a sustained 30-40 mph wind.  My 6 iron, struck fairly, well and kept low ended up short by 15 yards. 

The wind really should also be inducted.

HWW induction is also a fabulous thing.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:53 AM »
Maybe if Wind is in, it ought to be remonickered from the HOF to the "HUFF"
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 08:13:53 PM »
I'm sure there's a logical reason the best golf writer after Bernard Darwin and before Bob Verdi wasn't in the Hall before this, but I can't think of the reason. Imagine if people had skipped over Jack Nicklaus on the ballot.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »
Tim, you observed and hoped "I'm sure there's a logical reason the best golf writer after Bernard Darwin and before Bob Verdi wasn't in the Hall before this, but I can't think of the reason."

Of course there was. This same committee, the Lifetime Achievement Committee, had to install Bob Hope, Dinah Shore, Karsten Solheim & Richard Tufts, among others first.

That is why Herb Wind wasn't in and why A.W. Tillinghast, Wm. Flynn, Perry Maxwell, Harry Colt, George Crump, Seth Raynor, Charles Alison, George Thomas & Stanley Thomson among many others are NOT!

There is something VERY WRONG with the methods used to elect new members into golf's World-Wide Hall of Fame.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back