News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ted Kramer

Re: Most Expensive Private Clubs - Forbes Traveler
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
Things are relative.
Its really that simple.
Money is no exception.
I have no idea what its like to be rich.
I don't begrudge those who are.
And I'd certainly never even consider telling another adult how to spend his or her money as long it was legal.

Haves and have nots . . .
thats just part of life.
I wouldn't mind a glimpse into that lifestyle.
But I don't yearn for it.
I think its probably a lot tougher than the average middle class guy like me thinks it is.

-Ted

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »
I'm chuckling - this thread's direction has proved my point of why a good club member never talks about things like how much it costs to be a member.  Besides being in bad taste, it just lends itself to criticism.
----------------
My mother grew up in public housing in the depression-era.  Her widowed mother was a single mom with 4 kids to feed and never enough money.  It took her a quite a while to understand why I joined a golf club back in 1988.  I made the mistake of telling her what it cost.   But when she visited me at the club the following year,  she really "got" it.    I think she was surprised at how nice everybody was, how nobody was "stuck up", and how much I loved it there.   This golf club was the manifestation of why I worked my way through university and worked like crazy on my job.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2008, 10:28:18 AM »

How about this question for you all, if you had a million bucks that you were forced to spend on a golf membership(s) where would you spend it? Would you go with 4 @ $250k? or 2 at $500k? or 1 @ $1mm?

Which of these would then be worth the price tag and which wouldn't?

Pat;

If I somehow had $1,000,000 I imagine I would have to consider what I want yet out of golf. I am a few years from retirement, and have only played golf a few years. Having come in late, I still have not played all the great publics I would like, not nearly. THAT would be my 1st golf priority. I would not spend a significant part of it on a private club under those circumstances.

Now, carrying the fantasy a few steps further; if I had somehow lotterized[ ;)] to $100,000,000, where retirement needs outside of golf were not in doubt, then I must consider the value of belonging to some private clubs, if for no other reason, the reciprocity advantages and golf contacts for other private courses. Think they would let me into The Honors in Tennessee. That is one I have heard about since before I was playing, and it appears to be a true Dye masterpiece.

But that is all just golf.

The non-golf advantages to private membership are so far out of my experience that I cannot think of an inciteful comment to make. [Ain't that unusual?  :D].

Doug

tlavin

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
I feel so woefully inadequate.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2008, 09:22:44 AM »
Doug,

All non-architecture threads will be removed when I find the time to do so.

Political posts have no place on this web site as they simply drive the conversation sideways and add no lasting value.

Cheers,

Jim Nugent

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
I saw Doug's thread, and wrote a reply.  When I tried to post it, the thread had vanished. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back