News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Smoot

Re: If you could live anywhere....
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
I thought bandon residents had a lower green fee than that...something like $45 for non-weekend or something like that.  But I could have been mistaken.

My daydream retirement job.  A starter/marshall at Bandon.  Live there, work there (is it?) and play golf there.

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
I haven't played at all the geographic locations JC listed. However, I feel pretty confident that  my love for the Monterey Peninsula would not waver.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 01:26:44 PM »
To Mike and Tom,

Well clearly you guys married the wrong woman then!! Remember as Shivas said, "Measure twice, cut once".

I'm guessing the singles scene isn't too hot in Bandon itself, but Coos Bay/North Bend is just up the road with plenty of available handsome women.   ;)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 01:28:07 PM »
I AM a public course golfer (with a couple deeply appreciated exceptions), and if I could live anywhere I'd live right where I do now - near Denver, Colorado. Good, affordable public golf, both daily fee and several munis including a number built during the Golden Age. Decent weather most of the year, although the occasional snowstorm can be a real nuisance to your golf game.

The main advantage for me would be that my wife and children live here. I've kinda gotten used to them.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 02:09:05 PM »
If having a job, cost of living, affordability, and playing year round are considered, Arlington and Houston, TX would be my recommendations.

If money was no object- which means private club memberships plus resort golf- Carmel, CA.  No question.

Living in Houston...I think I would prefer Austin.

Bandon would be my choice.

Richard Boult

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 02:14:24 PM »
Bob - that's why I made my choices with the assumption that money is no object.  Of course if that's the case, then it's hard to believe one would stick only to public courses.  So my bad there!

SO... if affordability is to be factored in... that deletes Monterey and Bandon for sure... and the rest of NoCal and dare I say SoCal as well (man does not live by Rustic Canyon alone).

I'd just also want year-round golf, so for me that deletes nearly all the others....

I guess we're left with the Carolinas?

Maybe Ed Getka is on to something....

;)

San Luis Obispo is quite a bit more affordable than the bay area and socal... still have the year-round golf and easy access to Monterey north and Rustic south.  Still, I'd vote for the marshall or starter job at Bandon. I don't want to be a caddy.

BVince

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »
Monterey...no doubt about it
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

John Foley

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 02:53:58 PM »
How about AZ w/ a nice summer house up in Northern Michigan.

Great winters & summers w/ tons of very, very  good public courses.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Scott Weersing

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 03:00:51 PM »
in the United States and you were a public course golfer, where would it be? 

A.  Michigan
B.  Oregon
C.  NoCal
D.  SoCal
E.  FL
F.  NE
G.  Mid-Atlantic
H.  Carolinas

Its clear we are all here on this board because we not only love to play the game but we love to be inspired by the courses we play.  What region of the country has the most inspiring public golf and thus, would be the place to live?

So where is the "most inspiring public golf"? What does inspiring mean? I would guess inspiring means well-designed and well-routed courses that do not take six hours to play.

My votes are for Oregon, Central CA, and Mid-Atlantic.
1. Portland, OR
2. Lompoc, CA (home to La Purisima, close to Monarch Dunes)
3. Virginia Beach, VA (home to a Doak course, Riverfront and a Dye course and Royal New Kent is not too far away)
4. Michigan (never been there but seems like there is lots of good public golf)

Patrick Glynn

Public Golf & $$$
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »
I think it depends largely on how much you want to play golf - I would like to play twice a week, so living beside Pebble would not be much good to me!

I actually have thought about this, and reckon I would follow Dr. MacKenzie's choice and relocate to Santa Cruz :) (Nor Cal)

You could Pasa at around $175 a pop, a few reasonable Munis in the area. Are only a short drive from Pebble/Spyglass or North to San Fran & Harding Park. And now with the new SFO Bandon flights, its not that big of a deal getting the Bandon. + the weather is fantastic & the people are great!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 03:13:20 PM »
Patrick:

Santa Cruz is a very good call... IF one either doesn't want to play much, or has much dinero.

I am a neither.  I want to play a lot and can't afford the full fare at Pasa.  I also know the crowd situation at our other local courses.  It's not a happy thing.

So I am looking elsewhere...

TH
San Jose, CA

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 03:18:38 PM »
Kalen,
I thought all the 'handsome' women were in southern Colorado  ::)

Austin would work for me, so would south eastern NC.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

JC Jones

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 03:19:40 PM »
These are great answers !!  I'm not going to try and make you qualify them as we are obviously talking about fantasy.

Although, Im thinking potential reality for me as I am lucky enough to have a pretty transferable profession.

My problem w/ california is cost of living.  Otherwise, I totally agree that it would be a wonderful place.  I will say that that working at Bandon would be tremendous as the free golf would be worth the wage alone!!
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 03:44:55 PM »
Carmel/Pebble Beach California

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 03:47:46 PM »
Aha!  So the question is more reality-based.  So yes, rule out CA - it is definitely way too expensive here.  I think I'd also rule out Bandon for the same reason, although maybe there are lower rates for those who do live in the town, as Kalen says?

JC - is year-round golf important to you? 

If so, well... I'm still thinking Lou's Texas suggestions work best. 

But I am pretty clueless about the Carolinas.

TH

Richard Boult

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 04:00:03 PM »
If I can't pick my home state, I just go all the way to New Zealand.

BTW, how much free golf do Bandon employees get?  Seems like there wouldn't be many tee times left over for employees.

George Pazin

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 04:05:20 PM »
I know it's not in the rules, but I'd choose Tasmania or Edinburgh.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 04:17:59 PM »
Having just returned from Seattle/Tacoma area for the first time, golf-wise, I would put in a vote for that area.  (Golf only--economy, social scene, traffic situation, etc. not germane to this discussion)  Chambers Bay is absolutely stunning, and other great public golf can be found at Gold Mountain (36)  Newcastle (also 36) White Horse, and numerous other venues.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 04:28:07 PM »
Art,
I played 3 afternoons (late-ish) and the place was crawling with caddies.  A lot of women caddies playing too, many with really good swings.

But that Bandon weather...  I lived in Portland for almost 9 years, and all that rain gets really old.

How about Coquille - about 15 miles inland on route 42S?

Tom Yost

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 05:16:49 PM »
I don't see Arizona on your list.

Jason Connor

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 05:19:07 PM »
Of places I've been, maybe Pawley's Island.  Two Strantz courses plus Maples' Heritage would keep me happy.

I factored in that I can play nearly nearly year round.  Otherwise Michigan and Long Island are pretty close.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 05:21:18 PM by Jason Connor »
We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 05:24:52 PM »
I don't see Arizona on your list.

Yes!

Completely forgot about that.

Flagstaff area would be pretty nice, no?

TH

Mike Golden

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 05:30:27 PM »
If affordability, ease of access, ability to play year round, and quality were the issue it would really be difficult to beat World Woods and the surrounding area.   World Woods, with an annual players card, is about $30 with a world class practice facility.  It's an hour's drive from Tampa with a ton of other courses for variety.

Long Island is also great if a year round season isn't a necessity.  A senior resident at Bethpage still pays less than $25 for any of the courses during the week and there are lots of other courses within an easy drive such as Tallgrass for variety.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 05:33:32 PM »
If affordability, ease of access, ability to play year round, and quality were the issue it would really be difficult to beat World Woods and the surrounding area.   World Woods, with an annual players card, is about $30 with a world class practice facility.  It's an hour's drive from Tampa with a ton of other courses for variety.

Mike - I was thinking about that definitely, but what scared me off is the weather.  Me no like heat and humidity.  Just how bad is it?

TH

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 05:46:15 PM »
I don't think you can beat Evansville, In.  Look at this deal... http://www.evansvillegov.org/Index.aspx?page=571

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back