News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

Re: Revisionism
« Reply #175 on: June 14, 2008, 04:25:37 PM »
Was Alan Wilson the man behind the Crump tooth ache-brain abscess story?

Tom,

I'm surprised a historian like you wouldn't understand the sensitivity of this sad event.

From what I understand, it appears likely that he killed himself at the golf course, and his saddened family brought his body home and then called the authorities.  

It appears from most all events of the time that his family kept the truth from even his very closest friends, and the writings of Tillinghast and others of the time make very clear they had no idea that it wasn't an abcess.

In those days, much less was understood about depression and other mental issues, and a suicide had some grave social and religious implications.   The fact that it was kept a secret all of those years is clear enough indication of how it was viewed.

As far as Alan D. Wilson, do you know much about him?

He was at Merion from the very beginnning and was closely involved as a golfer and wise administrator.

As early as 1899 an account of golf in Philadelphia, in the section on Merion, noted;

"Last year the club had two most excellent golf teams.   The first consisted of Messrs. J. Wilmer Biddle, George T. Newhall, Isaac T. Starr, Lynford Biddle, David H. Biddle, and Alan D. Wilson."

Alan Wilson was not a man who just happened to be Hugh Wilson's brother...he was an integral part of the PHiladelphia golf scene since its inception in the 1890s.

Alan Wilson was held in such high regard in Philadelphia circles that after George Crump died, he and brother Hugh were asked by the creme de la creme of golf in the city...hell...golf in the COUNTRY...at the time, to finish the course in a way that honored Crump's magnificent design.

Why do you think that was?

Tom...if Hugh WIlson and committee simply built the course to others specs, then why in heavens would they have asked him to design the West course the next year, due to the overflow popularity of the new East course?  

Why would global financiers like Clarence Geist have Hugh Wilson that same year design a course for his palatial Seaview Country Club, and why would magnate Ellis Gimbel have Wilson come and make extensive changes to Philmont, including the building of new holes?

If your theory (should I refer to David's theory or your theory?) is correct, then when would WIlson have learned how to be an architect, when the only thing he did was go to Europe for less than two months in spring of 1912, after working as a construction foreman the previous year?

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:29:20 PM by MikeCirba »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #176 on: June 14, 2008, 05:03:52 PM »

Tom MacWood - interesting take on Alan Wilson's report. A couple questions. You say that his account is second-hand because he was not on the committee, and that it may be prone to errors. Has anyone who WAS on the committee written anything that differs substantially from Alan Wilson's account? David's essay has made it pretty clear that there was no trip to Britain in 1910. In your opinion, does the fact that Alan Wilson got this wrong make the entire work suspect?

Regarding reports by other committee men, the only account I'm aware of is Hugh Wilson's and his account emphasizes construction over design and gives greater emphasis to the infuence of M&W. I listed five reasons why the account is suspect IMO.

In regards to the title and how it relates to the contents of the piece, it seems to me that A. Wilson goes to some length to detail what he saw as the difference between the design of the two courses - the involvement of Macdonald and Whigham, even though he doesn't detail the specifics of their involvement.

I disagree. For the most part he ignores the design of the West, and confuses events related to its design with the East. In many ways the West was the real breakthrough design. The West was similar to the best British inland golf courses of that period. In fact the West had more in common with the mid-20s redesigned East course than the 1911 East course had with the mid-20s East course from a stylistic point of view.

AW implies the land for the two courses were identified and secured simultaneously, and lists the cost of building the courses as single item. His report gives the impression of one continuous project.

You mention a "distortion of the early events." What distortion? The role of Macdonald and Whigham? He mentions their role. You may feel they had a greater role, but I believe that is still in question. You seem to feel that the reference to Macdonald as a "good and kindly sportsm(a)n" was "relegating" him to a lesser role. Reading the piece, it feels more like a compliment.

The land is secured in 1910, followed by the trip abroad, on his return a plan is evolved, and then comes the committee men stating "the person in the main responsible for the architecture both of this and of the West course." I don't believe Wilson designed the East course after his trip abroad. Wilson was in the main responsible for the design of the East and West in 1926, that is after he remodeled the East. However placing it following the early chain of events (even though they are wrong) is misleading, especially since the account completely ignores the changes over the years.

Describing the Father of American Golf as a good and kindly sportsman is slightly understated in my view. Not to mention his importance as a golf architect. Alan Wilson also said they recieved no help from a golf architect in the design and construction. That is a distortion.

You mention that the recent death of his brother might have affected A. Wilson's judgement. As a counterpoint, what effect did the death of Charles Blair Macdonald have on the judgement of his son-in-law and longtime confidant H.J. Whigham? Should we be suspicious of his eulogy?

I would agree they were both likely affected. Have you read Whigham's eulogy? If so what do you think of it?

I'm not sure who wrote Hugh Wilson's eulogy in the Green Section magazine, but its interesting to note there is no mention of him designing the East course, although they do mention his redesign of the course.

Lastly, what was the intended purpose of this essay? I just can't seem to remember where this piece was found. Was it distributed to the membership of Merion, or to the Board ? If it was a private communication, then one has to ask how many other private communications of a similar nature WERE published. If none were, then the fact that this wasn't published either shouldn't make it suspect.

AW was asked to write the account for a club history. I believe they were celebrating the 30th year of golf.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:11:05 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #177 on: June 14, 2008, 05:24:33 PM »
Tom MacWood:

I guess you aren't reading the same things we are. That last post of yours is so off-the-mark it's shocking. This really does reconfirm my years long suspicions about you----eg you have almost no feel at all for what was really going on back then and the way they looked at things. The way you explain how Alan Wilson described both Macdonald and Whigam is really shocking. Matter of fact, the way Alan Wilson described Macdonald and Whigam is very likely why Merion turned to him in the first place and you don't seem to understand anything of that. Merion really did have a mentality that I know I can absolutely prove and that was the complete ideal of what they referred to as "amateur/sportsmanship". To them that's what their club represented and that's what Macdonald and Whigam really represented to them on projects like NGLA and Merion, and you just don't get that. I wonder if you ever will.

But My God, are you misreading Alan Wilson and what he wrote in that report. In the end these kinds of discussions are probably edifying as they really do show what some just don't understand despite the fact some have thought they did.

And all this truly does show one real misconception on your part and that is that someone not involved with a particular course and club can do a better job of accurately analyzing it. That notion of yours is the most misguided of all and these threads are proving it in spades.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:28:20 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #178 on: June 14, 2008, 05:37:11 PM »
In the gospels Jesus made numerous claims of deity. Indeed those words might have been added later by His own disciples, but in order for that have actually happened without anyone crying foul, the whole mass of common man living in those times would have to have been very very stupid and gullable. These were people who were willing to be fed to lions before renouncing their faith, and that kind of zeal may seem odd to us today, but it would pay close attention to what exactly it is that it believed don't you think?

I'm no biblical scholar, but my understanding is that there was plenty of "crying foul" going on when it came to claims of what Jesus said and didn't.  And "the whole mass of common man" had no uniform understanding.  They were either oblivious or were deeply divided on what was said/meant and wasn't said/meant.  And there was not anything like a uniform view until a long, long time later, if there ever was.  But this is probably not the place for a discussion of Jesus.

If I changed the names on the Declaration of Independance, do think no one would notice? I just think it is astonishing how so much of modern scholarship is predicated on the assumption that people before us were stupid. So I place a lot of stock in oral tradition.

I think we disagree that "oral traditions" are always consistent with what really happened, and with whether they are always as coherent or widely accepted as you apparently think they are.  This is true of Jesus, the Declaration of Independence, and Merion.   Most of the time, supposed revisionist "historians" are not treating the those that were there as stupid, but have rather studied them and find that those who were there held views much different than the current accepted understanding of what happened. 

Merion is a terrific example.   
-- The accepted version is that Wilson traveled abroad before he designed and built Merion East, and that he learned what he needed on this trip.   Didn't happen. 

-- In the accepted version M&W's two visits to Merion have either been ignored or discounted to the point that they might as well have been ignored.   This is entirely inaccurate. 

-- The accepted veriosn is that  all M&W did at the NGLA meeting was give some general thoughts on the principles of the great holes and help Wilson with his itinerary.  This is not at all the way Hugh Wilson described it. 

-- The accepted version is that there is no support for recognizing M&W's involvement in designing the course.  Yet all the parties who were actually there, plus Alan Wilson, credit their involvement.

-- The accepted version is that all the parties who were there considered Hugh Wilson THE designer at the time the course was built.   This was not the case. 

-- The accepted version is that the holes on the course were not explicitly based on principles from the holes abroad.  When the course opened it was reported that MOST EVERY HOLE WAS BASED ON PRINCIPLES FROM HOLES ABROAD, and extremely reputable sources give specific examples.

-- Whigham was there and wrote that Macdonald designed the course. The accepted version ignores this.

So I ask you, who here is disrespecting those that were there?   Certainly not me.   I hold the views of Lesley, Francis, Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson, H.J. Whigham, and C.B. Macdonald as much more compelling than the words of some self-described experts on Merion, no matter their affiliations or lineages.

And really David, am I bound to invest 100 hours of reading into every time some scholar comes along and says that my hero Abe Lincoln was gay?

Again, is this your way of again not answering whether you dismissed the Shakespeare scholars without ever reading and considering their analysis?   

You are not bound to invest any hours in reading anything anyone says.  In fact, as I tried to explain to you when you asked me whether you should read the second half of my essay, you should not read anything if you already have decided what it means beforehand.    But do not expect your objections or broad critique to be taken seriously unless you are willing to actually consider the analysis presented.   

If we're willing to believe this about those who have taken issue with some of the contentions in your essay, I think that you have to admit that you've fallen into this trap as well. I think there's been a lot of "reasonable analysis" on these threads, but there's been a lot of personal invective as well. I guess all I'm suggesting is that this shouldn't be too surprising given the history between you guys (I read that old thread on Merion #10 again, and it existed then, prior to your essay) and given the personal nature of all of your connections to Merion and its history.

I disagree.  While I am certainly no Angel, I have tried to treat with respect all those who behaved civilly in these discussions, whether or not I agreed with their positions.   When I have failed to do so, I have acknowledged as much as much and have tried to set the record straight. 

As for TEPaul and Cirba, surely I am entitled to defend myself, and to challenge their obnoxious behavior.   I accused Mike Cirba as having engaged in a witch hunt to malign my reputation, but he did do that and even admits it.   I accused TEPaul and Wayne of repeatedly misrepresenting, misunderstanding, concealing, and/or ignoring important information, but all this is well documented, and is pertinent considering that they expect us to take their word for it when it comes to the new source material.   I have also accused them of playing games with the source material, selectively offering it without allowing proper review, because this is exactly what they have done.    Surely I can try to hold them to accepted standards of review, and to the same standard to which they held me. 

But even with all this, I think that any reasonable review of the record will show that the vast majority the rudeness, hostility, name-calling, mischaracterization, exaggeration, and disruptiveness comes from one side.   More has come from me than I would like, but I am human after all, and a person can only take so much abuse before that person hits back. 

Was there anything rude, obnoxious or disrespectful in my essay?  I don't think so. 

It's easier for me to be reasonable on this subject - my interest is more academic and my perspective is more distant.

I know it is impossible to believe, after the treatment I have received, that this could be my perspective, but it is.  My paper conveys this I think.  It was written away from this nonsense and after extensive research.   I didn't start believing anything near what I now believe, but rather came to believe it as I uncovered more and more evidence.   

My reading of the Francis document is a perfect example of this.  I always assumed that the "swap" happened much later, but a careful reading of his statement indicates otherwise.   Now maybe he was mistaken or unclear or inaccurate, or maybe Merion's Board was, but I have no reason to believe either yet. 

Tom MacWood - interesting take on Alan Wilson's report. A couple questions. You say that his account is second-hand because he was not on the committee, and that it may be prone to errors. Has anyone who WAS on the committee written anything that differs substantially from Alan Wilson's account?

Whigham was not on either Committee, but he worked with both the Site Committee and with the Construction Committee, and was with Macdonald every step of the way, including when they returned to the site to finalize the routing.  I don't think his account necessarily differs with Alan Wilson's, but it sure differs with the way Alan Wilson's is being (mis)read.

Robert Lesley was on the Site Committee and the President of the MCC Golf Association, and his account does not mention any European trip, does not credit Wilson with being primarily responsible for the design.  Credits the committee with laying the course out upon the ground, and notes that they had as advisors M&W.

Hugh Wilson's account is inconsistent with Alan Wilson's, in that it is clear from Hugh Wilson's account that the overseas trip abroad occurred later, after the NGLA trip (and therefor after the course was designed and built)[/quote]

David's essay has made it pretty clear that there was no trip to Britain in 1910. In your opinion, does the fact that Alan Wilson got this wrong make the entire work suspect?

It certainly raises the issue of just how much Alan Wilson was involved with what was going on.   There is no evidence he was involved, and his "report" is a bit jumbled as to the details and timing of things.

Some claim that A Wilson did not say that Hugh went abroad in 1910.  It does not specifically say this but it does  say that he was sent abroad as "a first step."  As I pointed out in my essay this was by no means the case.

Also, Alan Wilson wrote that the plan evolved after Wilson returned.   Maybe the plan for the second course, or the plan for the finishing touches or changes on the East, but the course was already built so the plan for the course course was in the past when he returned!

TEPaul now wants to embrase the view that this must have been referring to changes over the years, which is something I have presented as an alternative reading in the past and he has vehemently disputed this..   The problem with his current position is that he then goes on to claim that the second half of the same sentence applies to the initial plan, not the later changes.   This does not make sense.   

Also, in context with the rest of the paragraph, it appears that the plan he was referring to was the initial plan. 

You mention that the recent death of his brother might have affected A. Wilson's judgement. As a counterpoint, what effect did the death of Charles Blair Macdonald have on the judgement of his son-in-law and longtime confidant H.J. Whigham? Should we be suspicious of his eulogy?

That is precisely why most dismiss Whigham's Eulogy, yet those same individuals become extremely agitated at the mere suggestion that Alan Wilson may have been moved similarly.

Whether or not grief played a part in his letter, I don't think that Alan Wilson was intentionally misstating anything.  I just do not think he knew much first-hand about the origins of the East.    Yes, he is definitely making a case that, among the committee-members, HWilson deserved the lion's share of the credit, but it seems the committee members told him this, so this was certainly a fair case to make.  It was even more true by the time HWilson died because he apparently continued to be very active with the course and I am not sure the others did.

It is possible that Whigham was overcome by grief and therefore somehow mis-credited Macdonald, but do not think it a fair conclusion without any support.   There are a number of facts that cut against this concluding he was mistaken.  Among them:
--  WHIGHAM WAS THERE.  HE KNEW FIRST HAND WHAT MACDONALD CONTRIBUTED TO THE DESIGN PROCESS.  So there no chance of an inadvertent misunderstanding about what went on.
--  Whigham was an experienced and accomplished reporter and editor, and knew better than to include items in a published work that were blatantly factually incorrect. 
--  Macdonald did not need Merion to bolster his resume.  He was extremely accomplished whether or not Merion was on the list. 
--  At the time M&W were involved in Merion, Whigham was one of the foremost experts on golf courses (and golf) in the United States, and been involved in the designs of a few courses (including NGLA) and knew what it meant to design a golf course, so there is little chance he could have misunderstood what Macdonald's Contribution was.
--  Whigham's eulogy seems to be balanced and very consistent with the historical record.
--  Whigham acknowledged that Macdonald's direct involvement dropped off pretty sharply pretty early on. 
--  Whigham also acknowledged that Raynor was doing most the groundwork with many of the courses.   
--  Whigham also acknowledged that Macdonald was extremely protective of NGLA, to the point of criticizing other great courses like Pine Valley and even his own Lido.
--  Whigham knew the difference between inspecting a property and offering a few suggestions, and designing a course.  He notes that Macdonald inspected Pine Valley and offers a few suggestions, but DOES NOT credit Macdonald with designing Pine Valley, but rather noted that it "was a George Crump creation and a noble work of golf course architecture."
--  The eulogy does not contain any other errors of the magnitude suggested for the Merion error  (Some suggest that Whigham said that Raynor and Macdonald designed Merion.   Reading the section in context, it seems more likely that Whigham was listing courses designed by Macdonald and/or Raynor.)

Lastly, what was the intended purpose of this essay? I just can't seem to remember where this piece was found. Was it distributed to the membership of Merion, or to the Board ? If it was a private communication, then one has to ask how many other private communications of a similar nature WERE published. If none were, then the fact that this wasn't published either shouldn't make it suspect.

It was written as an "article" for a member working on a club history.  Wilson's accompanying letter:

Dear Mr. Philler:-

You asked me to write you up something about the beginnings of the East and West courses for use in the Club history, and I warned you that I did this sort of thing very badly. You insisted, however, so I have done the best I could and enclose the article herewith. If it is not what you want, please do not hesitate to destroy it and to ask someone else to write you something which will better suit your purpose.
      I am very glad you are writing the club history. It ought to be done because unless put on paper these things which are interesting in themselves are apt to be forgotten,-- and I do not know of anyone who would do the work so well as you.

With regards, I am,
                     Sincerely,
                        Alan D. Wilson

Parts were used, but not the section dealing specifically with the creation of the courses.  This may be because of the inaccuracies in the first part, or because of the praise of M&W.

It is interesting to note that these Merion conversations went on for months or years without Wayne or TEPaul ever producing the part of the report dealing with M&W and the creation of the courses.  It was only after I had come close to establishing that there was a later trip no earlier trip that Wayne and TEPaul finally came forward with the letter.  Even then they pretended that they had not been withholding it, but claimed they had just found it.  In fact, earlier references indicate that they long had had the letter.  They were not disclosing it because at the time they were refusing to fully acknowledge that M&W's involvement was even as extensive as it was.

Tom MacWood, you point to one fact presented by Wilson that was in error, that Hugh Wilson went abroad in 1910, and from there infer that the rest of his points are bogus. You refuted one point that he made, but not the entire piece.

What about, say, David's essay? He seemed to put a lot of weight on the letter that Macdonald wrote to Merion, going so far as to imply that it would contain a routing of the course, or specific design elements. The letter was produced, and it contained no such thing. Yet that same essay contained information regarding the fact that Hugh Wilson almost certainly did not travel to Britain in 1910 after the NGLA visit. Does the fact that one item in his essay was refuted then mean that the rest of the essay should be considered refuted as well?

I just don't get the logic of this.

As for my essay, the comparison is misleading.  Everything in my essay is contingent upon my understanding of the facts as currently known and upon my analysis.   None of it should be treated as source material, because it was not meant as such.   I knew  there was more information out there that I was not allowed to access that may change my essay.  In other words my essay all stands or falls with the facts and intepretations. 

In contrast, Alan Wilson's report is being treated as a first-hand account of what actually happened. Source material.  It obviously was not.  The error to something as important as the timing of the trip overseas, the general and second-hand nature of the description, and also the confused nature of the presentation all raise doubt as to the accuracy of the document as SOURCE MATERIAL.    It should not be treated as first-hand source material.    Parts may be accurate, but we ought not assume its accuracy. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:40:55 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #179 on: June 14, 2008, 05:39:04 PM »
Was Alan Wilson the man behind the Crump tooth ache-brain abscess story?

Tom,

I'm surprised a historian like you wouldn't understand the sensitivity of this sad event.

From what I understand, it appears likely that he killed himself at the golf course, and his saddened family brought his body home and then called the authorities.  

It appears from most all events of the time that his family kept the truth from even his very closest friends, and the writings of Tillinghast and others of the time make very clear they had no idea that it wasn't an abcess.

In those days, much less was understood about depression and other mental issues, and a suicide had some grave social and religious implications.   The fact that it was kept a secret all of those years is clear enough indication of how it was viewed.

Interesting theory about Crump being moved. I've heard that one before from TE. Is that based upon something you've uncovered? Why would they bring the body home before calling the authorities? There were newspaper accounts of him being out and about in Clemendon the day before his death and the time of death is listed as 8 AM on the death certificate.

As far as Alan D. Wilson, do you know much about him?

He was at Merion from the very beginnning and was closely involved as a golfer and wise administrator.

As early as 1899 an account of golf in Philadelphia, in the section on Merion, noted;

"Last year the club had two most excellent golf teams.   The first consisted of Messrs. J. Wilmer Biddle, George T. Newhall, Isaac T. Starr, Lynford Biddle, David H. Biddle, and Alan D. Wilson."

Alan Wilson was not a man who just happened to be Hugh Wilson's brother...he was an integral part of the PHiladelphia golf scene since its inception in the 1890s.

Alan Wilson was held in such high regard in Philadelphia circles that after George Crump died, he and brother Hugh were asked by the creme de la creme of golf in the city...hell...golf in the COUNTRY...at the time, to finish the course in a way that honored Crump's magnificent design.

Why do you think that was?

Tom...if Hugh WIlson and committee simply built the course to others specs, then why in heavens would they have asked him to design the West course the next year, due to the overflow popularity of the new East course?  

Why would global financiers like Clarence Geist have Hugh Wilson that same year design a course for his palatial Seaview Country Club, and why would magnate Ellis Gimbel have Wilson come and make extensive changes to Philmont, including the building of new holes?

Clearly Wilson learned a great deal from his experience at Merion, not mention his trip overseas. In fact HW writes about how little he knew when he began, and how much he had picked up during that period.

What I've never understood is why Geist brought in Ross & Reid to bunker Seaview three years later.

If your theory (should I refer to David's theory or your theory?) is correct, then when would WIlson have learned how to be an architect, when the only thing he did was go to Europe for less than two months in spring of 1912, after working as a construction foreman the previous year?

That would be a very good foundation if you ask me.

DMoriarty

« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »

That has never been my theory. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

TEPaul

« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2008, 05:59:20 PM »
"Interesting theory about Crump being moved. I've heard that one before from TE. Is that based upon something you've uncovered? Why would they bring the body home before calling the authorities? There were newspaper accounts of him being out and about in Clemendon the day before his death and the time of death is listed as 8 AM on the death certificate."

It's based on a couple of things;

1. The rumor that I heard about thirty years ago that Crump shot himself in his cabin and the gun used was found. John Ott told me that.
2. His caddie confirmed the same rumor to me.
3. About five years ago a member gave me an article from a Kentucky periodical with an interview of George Govan who said he remembered so well the night Crump was found dead in his cabin at Pine Valley. George Govan was the son of Jim Govan, Crump's foreman, and they lived on the property.

If he shot himself in his cabin and his body was moved to his home in Merchantville, apparently inhabited by his mother, why do you think that was done?  ::)

Yes, periodicals probably did say he'd talked to people outside his house in Merchantville the day before but Merchantville isn't very far from Pine Valley and some newspapers also mentioned the cause of death was from sudden from problems related to his teeth.

At that time, it was no secret Crump's teeth were in terrible shape. His caddie told me he used to walk around Pine Vally near the end with a towel in his mouth.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 06:14:05 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #182 on: June 14, 2008, 06:23:59 PM »
"It is interesting to note that these Merion conversations went on for months or years without Wayne or TEPaul ever producing the part of the report dealing with M&W and the creation of the courses.  It was only after I had come close to establishing that there was a later trip no earlier trip that Wayne and TEPaul finally came forward with the letter.  Even then they pretended that they had not been withholding it, but claimed they had just found it.  In fact, earlier references indicate that they long had had the letter.  They were not disclosing it because at the time they were refusing to fully acknowledge that M&W's involvement was even as extensive as it was."

We've had that material for years and I've mentioned it for years. I said about ten times on here Alan Wilson's report is much of what we based the creation of Merion on. Furthermore, I had no idea you wanted any of that or that you were thinking of writing an article about Merion and Macdonald and Wilson. You sure as hell never mentioned anything about that to us. The most interesting thing to me is you never asked for it or had it that I know of and obviously the reason must have been that you probably needed to ignore it as it does not square with any of your premises and conclusion.

The reason I never put it on here is frankly I don't know how to scan something and put it on here so eventually I just typed the whole thing that was about ten pages including his cover letter to Philler that you just quoted.

Instead of making snide remarks about why we didn't produce it earlier you should thank me for putting it on here and typing the whole thing at all, Moriarty. Otherwise, you never would have had the entire thing at all. That's really great comprehensive research on your part for your essay, huh!!   ::) :o

TEPaul

« Reply #183 on: June 14, 2008, 06:29:59 PM »
"The error to something as important as the timing of the trip overseas,"

What error as to the timing of the trip overseas??

You just don't get this trip thing, do you? I wonder if you're ever going to figure it out. Do your really believe that Hugh Wilson's brother who was his business partner did not know when he was abroad?? That's the most preposterous thing to date!

My God!   ::)

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #184 on: June 14, 2008, 06:39:18 PM »
"Interesting theory about Crump being moved. I've heard that one before from TE. Is that based upon something you've uncovered? Why would they bring the body home before calling the authorities? There were newspaper accounts of him being out and about in Clemendon the day before his death and the time of death is listed as 8 AM on the death certificate."

It's based on a couple of things;

1. The rumor that I heard about thirty years ago that Crump shot himself in his cabin and the gun used was found. John Ott told me that.
2. His caddie confirmed the same rumor to me.
3. About five years ago a member gave me an article from a Kentucky periodical with an interview of George Govan who said he remembered so well the night Crump was found dead in his cabin at Pine Valley. George Govan was the son of Jim Govan, Crump's foreman, and they lived on the property.

If he shot himself in his cabin and his body was moved to his home in Merchantville, apparently inhabited by his mother, why do you think that was done?  ::)

Yes, periodicals probably did say he'd talked to people outside his house in Merchantville the day before but Merchantville isn't very far from Pine Valley and some newspapers also mentioned the cause of death was from sudden from problems related to his teeth.

At that time, it was no secret Crump's teeth were in terrible shape. His caddie told me he used to walk around Pine Vally near the end with a towel in his mouth.

I heard a rumor Jim Govan and Crump had a terrible argument over a candy bar in his cabin. Govan shot Crump, ate the candy bar, and then transported the body to Merchantville, told his mother he killed himself because of bad teeth, called the authorities, and then moved he and his family to Kentucky.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #185 on: June 14, 2008, 06:56:18 PM »

David,

What part do I have wrong?

When did Hugh Wilson learn how to be an architect in your opinion?

In 1910 he did nothing.  In 1911, he was the construction foreman helping to build to Macdonald's design.   The course was seeded by the fall of that year, and sometime between March 2 and May 1 he went to Europe, and later that year after the East opened was charged with 1) Designing and building the west course, 2) Designing and building Seaview, and 3) doing wholesale changes to Philmont.

When did he learn exactly?

DMoriarty

« Reply #186 on: June 14, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »
We've had that material for years and I've mentioned it for years. I said about ten times on here Alan Wilson's report is much of what we based the creation of Merion on. Furthermore, I had no idea you wanted any of that or that you were thinking of writing an article about Merion and Macdonald and Wilson. You sure as hell never mentioned anything about that to us. The most interesting thing to me is you never asked for it or had it that I know of and obviously the reason must have been that you probably needed to ignore it as it does not square with any of your premises and conclusion.

The reason I never put it on here is frankly I don't know how to scan something and put it on here so eventually I just typed the whole thing that was about ten pages including his cover letter to Philler that you just quoted.

Instead of making snide remarks about why we didn't produce it earlier you should thank me for putting it on here and typing the whole thing at all, Moriarty. Otherwise, you never would have had the entire thing at all. That's really great comprehensive research on your part for your essay, huh!!   ::) :o

Of course you had it for years.  That is my point.  But you had it for years when you first posted the part about the course's origins (the part including the discussion of M&W) in December of 2006, with song and dance about how you had just recently become aware of it, and a wink.  One of your friends even called you on it and you laughed it off.  You deleted that post with hundreds of others from the thread in question.   

I thanked you for posting it when you did.  But I did not get the whole report from you.

If your theory (should I refer to David's theory or your theory?) is correct, then when would WIlson have learned how to be an architect, when the only thing he did was go to Europe for less than two months in spring of 1912,  after working as a construction foreman the previous year?

David,

What part do I have wrong?

I bolded the parts you got wrong above.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #187 on: June 14, 2008, 08:19:08 PM »
David,

Are you suggesting that Wilson did more in the period from 1910-1912 than what I listed that suddenly gave him the ability by early 1913 to be viewed as a gifted architect by some of the most powerful financial men in the country, all of whom were avid golfers of long standing in the game?

What else over that period would have qualified him?   Are you saying that the overnight stay at NGLA was what did it?   Don't you think it's a bit straining credulity to suggest that a guy who had pretty much played all of the decent courses in the country for the previous decade was an empty vessel until M&W did a Vulcan mind trick and dumped their collective knowledge into his barren receptacle of a brain?  ;D

Can you at least acknowledge that Hugh Wilson was probably the least assuming, the most humble, the most generous, and least self-promoting guy in the world, while CB Macdonald was among the world's most boisterous, cantankerous, self-promoting, contentious, and vain men in existence at the time?   My lord, the fact that Macdonald himself didn't claim the slightest bit of credit for Merion through 3 US Amateurs and 1 US Open during his lifetime should be all the historical proof anyone needs.

Hugh and Alan WIlson's comments, as well as Lesley's, about M&W were all very magnanimous, as were "Far and Sure"'s.   These guys were all gentlemen, and Charley Macdonald was the most famous man in golf in America.   They all said he "consulted".    Not a one of them said he had a thing to do with the design.

IF he had designed the course, you wouldn't have needed for Charles Macdonald to tell us, although he most surely would have....the Wilsons and Lesley and Tillinghast would have been only too happy and gracious to have pointed that out very certainly and very clearly.

Please don't make me post pictures of Hugh Wilson being magically transformed turning into The Hulk again!!  ;)  ;D
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:39:09 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #188 on: June 14, 2008, 08:53:44 PM »
Tom MacWood,

If you read the Hugh Wilson thread, it makes pretty clear why Wilson didn't go back to Seaview to do additional bunkering.

As you know, there was some prevailing thinking at the time that one should find out how a course played first before doing a lot of bunkering.   It is one of the points in David's essay that I agree with, although I find it odd that he cites Macdonald as being a proponent of this, as most of the template holes are self-defining in terms of their bunkering strategy and rote placement, wouldn't you agree?

In any case, Hugh Wilson was an "amateur architect".   He did have a day job and worked for a living, although presumably at his level of success also had quite a bit of free time.

Even if we assume that he was dropped in from outer space in early 1911, let's look at what he did in the next three years.

He designed and built the East Course, which opened in September 1912.   In short order he designed and built the West course at Merion, he designed and built Seaview for Clarence Geist (which was one of the very first dredging operations where sand was pumped in to create terra firma for golf), he largely redesigned Philmont for Ellis Gimbel, he was named along with George Crump and Ab Smith to a committee charged with identifying a suitable site for a municipal course, which eventually picked Cobb's Creek....I also believe that Cobb's Creek was actually routed in 1914 ....ALL by the end of 1914, and all while working at a full-time job.

By December of 1914, Hugh Wilson resigned as chairman of the Green Committee at Merion.   It was reported;

"Hugh I. Wilson, for a number of years chairman of the Green Committee of the Merion Cricket Club, has resigned.   He personally constructed the two courses at Merion, and before the first was built he visited every big course in Great Britain and this country.   He also laid out the new course at Seaview.   Pressure on business compels him to give up the chairmanship."

Basically, he was burnt out.

Yet, he then spent six months on the laying out of Cobb's Creek, joined with Ab Smith and Frank Meehan to rebuild North Hills, worked with William Flynn to change a number of holes on the East course to strengthen them for the 1916 US Amateur...and then his daughter died at age six in mid 1916, and shortly after World War I intervened.

Speaking of historical revisionism...

Can you tell us what you mean by this comment about Alan Wilson?

"For the most part he ignores the design of the West, and confuses events related to its design with the East. In many ways the West was the real breakthrough design. The West was similar to the best British inland golf courses of that period. In fact the West had more in common with the mid-20s redesigned East course than the 1911 East course had with the mid-20s East course from a stylistic point of view. "

At no time in history did anyone consider the West course superior to the East, Tom.   Please cite me one contemporary who believed that.

Walter Travis wrote in 1916;

"The West course at Merion is a fine one in its way, but has little in common with its vastly superior neighbor, the East course, in respect to either the character of the putting greens or the nature of the approach shots."

"Merion boasts of two courses, the East and the West and while the former is undoubtedly good the West course certainly falls far short of championship requirements.   Certainly the golf there is spectacular but in some places the suggestion of hippodroming is too apparent.   To be sure the West course will only be used for play for the qualification in conjunction with the East course, but with this novelty there must come the thought that championships should not breed novelties. 

Are you familiar with this account by probably the preeminent player in the game at the time?  If so, I'm not sure why you would say what you did above about the acclaim of the West course.   

This isn't the first time that you or David tried to elevate the status of the West course to make a point and discredit another contemporary account, this one by a man who was an insider's insider in Philly golf and who knew all these men, William Evans, when he wrote in October 1913, fully 9 months prior to the opening of the West course;

"Hugh I. Wilson, chairman of the Green Committee of the Merion Cricket Club and who is responsible for the wonderful links on the Main Line, has been Mr. Geist's right-hand man and has laid out the Seaview course.   Mr. Wilson some years ago before the new Merion course was constructed, visited the most prominent courses here and in Great Britain and has no superior as a golf architect."

David's interpretation of that passage was that Evans was talking about the coming West course, when he was referring to the "new Merion course", despite the fact that only the East was open at that point, and due to its popularity, the West was being hurriedly built as largely an "overflow course".

He went on to say that there were tons of stories talking about the glories of the coming West course at Merion.

Can either of you point to any?   Not just the nice little Tillinghast blurb in AG after the course opened, but something that indicates it was a course with anywhere near the level of planning, effort, anticipation, acclaim, or anything else that would make it a focal point.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:45:05 PM by MikeCirba »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #189 on: June 14, 2008, 09:48:34 PM »

"Hugh I. Wilson, for a number of years chairman of the Green Committee of the Merion Cricket Club, has resigned.   He personally constructed the two courses at Merion, and before the first was built he visited every big course in Great Britain and this country.   He also laid out the new course at Seaview.   Pressure on business compels him to give up the chairmanship."

That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

Yet, he then spent six months on the laying out of Cobb's Creek, joined with Ab Smith and Frank Meehan to rebuild North Hills, worked with William Flynn to change a number of holes on the East course to strengthen them for the 1916 US Amateur...and then his daughter died at age six in mid 1916, and shortly after World War I intervened.

"For the most part he ignores the design of the West, and confuses events related to its design with the East course. In many ways the West was the real breakthrough design. The West was similar to the best British inland golf courses of that period. In fact the West had more in common with the mid-20s redesigned East course than the 1911 East course had with the mid-20s East course from a stylistic point of view. "

At no time in history did anyone consider the West course superior to the East, Tom.   Please cite me one contemporary who believed that.

Did I say it was superior? Aesthetically it was very much like the modern British courses in contrast to the angular early East. My impression is they began systematically to remove the angular look not long after the course was completed.

"The West course at Merion is a fine one in its way, but has little in common with its vastly superior neighbor, the East course, in respect to either the character of the putting greens or the nature of the approach shots."

"Merion boasts of two courses, the East and the West and while the former is undoubtedly good the West course certainly falls far short of championship requirements.   Certainly the golf there is spectacular but in some places the suggestion of hippodroming is too apparent.   To be sure teh West course will only be used for play for the qualification in conjunction with the East course, but with this novelty there must come the thought that championships should not breed novelties. 

Are you familiar with this account by probably the preeminent player in the game at the time?  If so, I'm not sure why you would say what you did above about the acclaim of the West course.   

This isn't the first time that you or David tried to elevate the status of the West course to make a point and discredit another contemporary account, this one by a man who was an insider's insider in Philly golf and who knew all these men, William Evans, when he wrote in October 1913, fully 9 months prior to the opening of the West course;

"Hugh I. Wilson, chairman of the Green Committee of the Merion Cricket Club and who is responsible for the wonderful links on the Main Line, has been Mr. Geist's right-hand man and has laid out the Seaview course.   Mr. Wilson some years ago before the new Merion course was constructed, visited the most prominent courses here and in Great Britain and has no superior as a golf architect."

Either Wilson made trip to UK before 1912 or Evans wasn't a very good reporter. What do you think?

David's interpretation of that passage was that Evans was talking about the coming West course, when he was referring to the "new Merion course", despite the fact that only the East was open at that point.

He went on to say that there were tons of stories talking about the glories of the coming West course at Merion.

Have you read the Piper & Oakley letters at the USGA?

Can either of you point to any?   Not just the nice little Tillinghast blurb in AG after the course opened, but something that indicates it was a course with anywhere near the level of planning, effort, anticipation, acclaim, or anything else that would make it a focal point.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:51:34 PM by Tom MacWood »

Bradley Anderson

« Reply #190 on: June 14, 2008, 10:22:46 PM »
David M,

Ok, I'm going to Borders tomorrow to find that book about the Bard.

Tommorro you will go to Borders and get anything written by RC Sproul and read it. Then we can excgange-mails.

Deal?

TEPaul

« Reply #191 on: June 14, 2008, 10:45:42 PM »
"I heard a rumor Jim Govan and Crump had a terrible argument over a candy bar in his cabin. Govan shot Crump, ate the candy bar, and then transported the body to Merchantville, told his mother he killed himself because of bad teeth, called the authorities, and then moved he and his family to Kentucky."

Tom MacSpruce:

As you know I love humor, even on here and I am aware it has many uses including a fill-in for you for not knowing very much about a particular golf course, it's architect and it's related history.  ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #192 on: June 14, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »

That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

"For the most part he ignores the design of the West, and confuses events related to its design with the East course. In many ways the West was the real breakthrough design. The West was similar to the best British inland golf courses of that period. In fact the West had more in common with the mid-20s redesigned East course than the 1911 East course had with the mid-20s East course from a stylistic point of view. "

Did I say it was superior? Aesthetically it was very much like the modern British courses in contrast to the angular early East. My impression is they began systematically to remove the angular look not long after the course was completed.

"Merion boasts of two courses, the East and the West and while the former is undoubtedly good the West course certainly falls far short of championship requirements.   Certainly the golf there is spectacular but in some places the suggestion of hippodroming is too apparent.   To be sure teh West course will only be used for play for the qualification in conjunction with the East course, but with this novelty there must come the thought that championships should not breed novelties. 

Either Wilson made trip to UK before 1912 or Evans wasn't a very good reporter. What do you think?

David's interpretation of that passage was that Evans was talking about the coming West course, when he was referring to the "new Merion course", despite the fact that only the East was open at that point.

Have you read the Piper & Oakley letters at the USGA?

Thanks.

Tom,

I like that style but I'm a bit challenged.

Hopefully I can answer your questions from down here.  ;D

I haven't read the Piper/Oakley letters about the West course, but given that Hugh Wilson was deep into his agronomic studies in 1913, I'm quite sure that there are many referrences to the West course.   What in particular should I take note of?

Could you tell me what you think was "angular" about the early East courses, beside the short-lived "experimental" mounds on 9, and the pretty ugly 10th green complex?   Can you cite one other example?

What did you think of Walter Travis's view of the West course?   He was the predominant player of the time and obviously was not very impressed.  

Speaking of which...what do you think of Tom Doak's modern view of the West course?   He gave the East course a "10", and the West a "4".

Regarding what William Evans wrote, I disagree with Tom Paul and believe that Hugh WIlson went to Europe prior to 1912, and for a more extended period.   There are simply too many accounts near the time the course was built, and I'm thinking the accounts also take into consideration his long playing career in the states prior to Merion East even being designed.   I have no proof of that, but after seeing those shipping manifest logs, and their inaccuracies and omissions, I don't feel that's germane.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2008, 10:52:30 PM »
TE
That is the second post today where you have reverted to name calling. What gives?

TEPaul

« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2008, 10:53:51 PM »
"Of course you had it for years.  That is my point.  But you had it for years when you first posted the part about the course's origins (the part including the discussion of M&W) in December of 2006, with song and dance about how you had just recently become aware of it, and a wink.  One of your friends even called you on it and you laughed it off.  You deleted that post with hundreds of others from the thread in question.  
I thanked you for posting it when you did.  But I did not get the whole report from you."

David Moriarty:

I'm not too sure where you think you're going with those kinds of remarks. Did you actually think we  owed you some of the material that's been available to us over the years? If you did you certainly never said anything about that to me----quite the opposite in fact. You really do seem to have some kind of attitude about entitlement I don't think I understand at all. I'd ask you to explain it to me but you probably wouldn't supply much of a satisfactory answer, as per usual. ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #195 on: June 14, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »
"TE
That is the second post today where you have reverted to name calling. What gives?"

Tom MacLinden:

Have you ever tried to use your imagination? On second thought, belay that, I don't want to tax your mind too much, at this point.   :P

"Have you read the Piper & Oakley letters at the USGA?"

Yes, have you? If not, and if you're interested in the history of Merion East and West perhaps you should get them and read them. If and when you do it's not that hard to tell a lot of what was on Hugh and Alan Wilson's mind with the Merions (and others) through the years was agronomy.

"What I've never understood is why Geist brought in Ross & Reid to bunker Seaview three years later."

Is that right? Do you mean why he didn't get Wilson to do it? Why don't you try thinking about that for 30-45 seconds and then get back to us about it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 11:18:08 PM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #196 on: June 14, 2008, 11:31:16 PM »
Mike Cirba

1.  You are the one suggesting that Wilson was nothing but a construction foreman.  I said no such thing.   He probably helped plan Merion East.

2.  I never said the only thing he did was travel abroad.  He studied under the foremost experts in course design at the time, and the foremost experts on growing grass.   He also probably helped plan Merion East.  He also was in charge of building it.  The West Course was designed, built and seeded in the spring of 1913, so he had this experience before Seaview as well.   That seems like an awful lot to me. 

3.  You portray the Merion Men as Angels but do not even given them respect enough to take their words seriously.   You portray CBM as a Devil incarnate, then draw unsupportable conclusions from his silence.   Neither position is at all supportable.

You twist the question here to suit your needs.   Robert Lesley considered the courses different, but equal tests.  As did Tillinghast, apparently (why dismiss him?)  Other accounts before the 1916 Am do the same.   

Travis was very much opposed to the two course solution at that 1916 Amateur, and obviously did not think the West was nearly as good.  But that doesn't mean it was not meant to be as good. 

Travis' comments raise another obvious question that no one wants asked.  How could the courses be so different if designed by the same guy?   And how come one turned out so much better, in the opinion of many? 

Elevate it?  I just go by what Robert Lesley said.  Do we discount his words because he was again being magnanimous to a golf course? 

As for the Evans quote, if you have to misrepresent the facts to make your point, then it is probably not worth making. 

1. The West was not "hurriedly being built."   It had been designed, built, and seeded for around over 5 months by the time the article came out.

2. You write:  "He went on to say that there were tons of stories talking about the glories of the coming West course at Merion.  You KNOW that this is not what came next.    The next sentence is something like Those that have visited the new course were greatly pleased with the contsruction.

Why would he write they were greatly pleased with the CONSTRUCTION if the course had been open for a season?  Because the NEW COURSE was not yet open, so all they could do was view was the CONSTRUCTION, and growing grass.

David Moriarty:

I'm not too sure where you think you're going with those kinds of remarks. Did you actually think we  owed you some of the material that's been available to us over the years? If you did you certainly never said anything about that to me----quite the opposite in fact. You really do seem to have some kind of attitude about entitlement I don't think I understand at all. I'd ask you to explain it to me but you probably wouldn't supply much of a satisfactory answer, as per usual. ;)

T ;) M,

Please, let me explain. I do not think you owe me anything.  But I DO think you guys have a nasty habit of concealing, ignoring, misrepresenting, misunderstanding, and overlooking important documents.   Or they slip your mind.

The Alan Wilson letter is a perfect example.  You and Wayne sat on that letter for years while this debate raged on, knowing full well that the letter directly addressed M&W's involvement in the design process.  At the same time both you and Wayne were vehemently claiming  that no evidence of M&W's direct involvement in the design process had ever been found.  But you guys had information to the contrary while you were writing this!  Not exactly an honest and forthright way to approach the issue.

Now do you understand where I am going with this?   If so could you answer a few of my questions?

-- If you guys are truly concerned with bringing out the whole truth, then why did you do this? 

-- And why did you pretend that you just found the key portion of the "report" when you had it the entire time?

Thanks.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #197 on: June 14, 2008, 11:35:05 PM »
"TE
That is the second post today where you have reverted to name calling. What gives?"

Tom MacLinden:

Have you ever tried to use your imagination? On second thought, belay that, I don't want to tax your mind too much, at this point.   :P

I don't need this.

TEPaul

« Reply #198 on: June 14, 2008, 11:42:09 PM »
"The Alan Wilson letter is a perfect example.  You and Wayne sat on that letter for years while this debate raged on, knowing full well that the letter directly addressed M&W's involvement in the design process.  At the same time both you and Wayne were vehemently claiming  that no evidence of M&W's direct involvement in the design process had ever been found.  But you guys had information to the contrary while you were writing this!  Not exactly an honest and forthright way to approach the issue.

Now do you understand where I am going with this?   If so could you answer a few of my questions?

-- If you guys are truly concerned with bringing out the whole truth, then why did you do this? 

-- And why did you pretend that you just found the key portion of the "report" when you had it the entire time?

Thanks."

Oh, you are so welcome but excuse me while I laugh. I have only said on here about a hundred times and for about the last five years that I stand behind Alan Wilson's ENTIRE report when it comes to the accurate history of the creation of Merion, and that I believe it's unrefuted and unrefutable with all we've known.

David Moriarty it really is a joke trying to deal with you or discuss anything with you on here---it truly is. About a month ago Wayne said after talking to you on the phone that the scary thing is it sounded to him like you actually believe what you've been saying on these threads. I think that's why he stopped posting because that really is a pretty scary thought.

DMoriarty

« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2008, 11:55:07 PM »
"The Alan Wilson letter is a perfect example.  You and Wayne sat on that letter for years while this debate raged on, knowing full well that the letter directly addressed M&W's involvement in the design process.  At the same time both you and Wayne were vehemently claiming  that no evidence of M&W's direct involvement in the design process had ever been found.  But you guys had information to the contrary while you were writing this!  Not exactly an honest and forthright way to approach the issue.

Thanks."

Oh, you are so welcome but excuse me while I laugh. I have only said on here about a hundred times and for about the last five years that I stand behind Alan Wilson's ENTIRE report when it comes to the accurate history of the creation of Merion, and that I believe it's unrefuted and unrefutable with all we've known.

David Moriarty it really is a joke trying to deal with you or discuss anything with you on here---it truly is. About a month ago Wayne said after talking to you on the phone that the scary thing is it sounded to him like you actually believe what you've been saying on these threads. I think that's why he stopped posting because that really is a pretty scary thought.

Perhaps, but you always concealed one part, at least on this website, until around Dec. 2006.

Please stop being so rude.  Thanks.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back