News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas MacWood

Re: Revisionism
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 09:15:34 PM »
Tom,

But let me add that I have learned a lot from your contributions to GCA and I hope you will continue to post here from time to time. I think your work is just outstanding. I don't even mind saying that you caught me on the construction schedule of Sunningdale.  ::)

Thanks. I think you caught me (and taught me) too on Sunningdale. I didn't realise it was done in two stages, and when I went back I saw Carters said the seed was put down in September 1900 and the course was opened in September 1901. It must have taken nearly a year to clear and prepare the ground before sowing 9/1900.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 09:20:48 PM »
Tom MacWood,

I don't think anyone objects to introducing new facts.   I think we all learned quite a bit through the blood and mud of those threads, but not just from David M. but from a bunch of people who dug a bit deeper because of the questions David's piece raised.

What I think some of us objected to was what we saw as an agenda-driven conclusion in that piece that wasn't really supported by those new facts, but instead by supposition and faulty interpretation, and the frustration that when those conclusions were ultimately proven wrong by new facts there was no recognition of those realties.

In the end, it reminded me of those old WWII Twilight Zone episodes where one or two Japanese guys are on an island still fighting, even though the war has been lost and over for years.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:24:20 PM by MikeCirba »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:30 PM »
I've read the essay several times and I didn't read the conclusions you describe. What conclusions were agenda driven?

TEPaul

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 09:27:44 PM »
"The use of the term on GCA has definitely been in the negative sense - used often as a hammer on the Merion thread. It appears the goal is to maliciously link honest attempts to uncover new facts and interpret those facts with those nephareous revisionists who have denied well documented events like the Holocaust."

Wayno and MikeC:

How about this? These two are now accusing us of treating them like nephareous revisionists who have denied a well documented event like the Holocaust! And I thought the histrionics had gotten about as preposterous as they possibly could. I guess not. And it now looks like David Moriarty is about to compare himself and his plight to someone like Galileo being persecuted by the church. Wow!   :o ??? ::)

Poor Hugh Wilson. First he gets a letter from Max Behr who somehow philosophically compares his accomplishment at Merion to saving the world and now ninety years latter its being compared to the Holocaust. And to think the poor chap was just trying to design and build a golf course.

My Word!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 09:30:32 PM by TEPaul »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 09:38:43 PM »

Mike,

Some time ago  I was travelling from Munich to Berlin and went through the checkpoint in Leipzig.

Stopped the car, mirrors under the chassis, dogs, that sort of thing. Went inside to display my passport, (Rhodesian at the time) to a rather large female Sturm-trooper type who may well have been a lady wrestler. She pointed to the 'Occupation' entry and asked in German what 'Stockbroker' meant. I hurriedly replied "Capitalist." The look I got would have fried bacon but she waved me on.

Bob

Bob,

On that same trip, we got stopped on the same road from Berlin going to Munich to visit my friends brothers who were selling Datsuns to US Troops in Germany! I was driving a Western rental and my buddy has a similar look to Jesus Christ with his post college beard and long hair. Basically they shook us down for $80 in cash on the spot. My friend, a future lawyer, starts telling me how we should not pay. I inform him that we are in East Germany, it is 1984, Ronald Reagan is President, and we are going to pay this "fine" and like it!

My guess is that cop would have a different view today.

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2008, 09:48:21 PM »
"I've read the essay several times and I didn't read the conclusions you describe. What conclusions were agenda driven?"

Tom MacWood:

This is the conclusion I think was agenda driven. Over five years ago you began to try to promote the assumption that Macdonald and Whigam's roll in the creation of Merion East was in some way minimized by the club and by us. Do you deny that now? If you do, I'd be happy to bring up a few of your threads on that from over five years ago. Later David Moriarty picked up on that assumption and it led to his conclusion in "The Missing Faces of Merion" that Macdonald/Whigam produced a routing for Merion East in 1910. Did you somehow fail to notice that conclusion in his essay when you reviewed it?

If you did miss that or if one or both of you are no longer trying to support that claim, I think we can probably end all this right now.  ;)

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:10 PM »
TE
Do you have problem citing these examples? Cut and paste them.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:22:37 PM by Tom MacWood »

DMoriarty

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2008, 10:35:06 PM »
Tom,

There are historians who say that Shakesphere didn't really write Shakesphere, and they can argue their point with great alacrity and quite convincing evidence. But I have the hardest time accepting what they say simply because of the fact that so many people living in his day believed that Shakesphere wrote Shakesphere. These historians are asking me to believe that they are smarter than all those people? That's why I call it chronological snobery. Because it so often insults the intelligence of the very people who were born in another century.

Bradley,

Did you read the work and carefully consider the analysis of the Shakespeare scholars?  Or did you just dismiss their work out of hand as "chronological snobbery?"

Even years later, Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson, and Robert Lesley (President of MCC Golf Association,) and H.J. Whigham all still thought enough of M&W's contributions to credit them and/or thank them. 

So I assume you think it "chronological snobbery" for modern writers to snub them?  How about Merion itself?  If not why not?

"The use of the term on GCA has definitely been in the negative sense - used often as a hammer on the Merion thread. It appears the goal is to maliciously link honest attempts to uncover new facts and interpret those facts with those nephareous revisionists who have denied well documented events like the Holocaust."

Wayno and MikeC:

How about this? These two are now accusing us of treating them like nephareous revisionists who have denied a well documented event like the Holocaust! And I thought the histrionics had gotten about as preposterous as they possibly could. I guess not. And it now looks like David Moriarty is about to compare himself and his plight to someone like Galileo being persecuted by the church. Wow!   :o ??? ::)

Poor Hugh Wilson. First he gets a letter from Max Behr who somehow philosophically compares his accomplishment at Merion to saving the world and now ninety years latter its being compared to the Holocaust. And to think the poor chap was just trying to design and build a golf course.

My Word!   ;)

A perfect example of exaggerating, misconstruing, and misstating the views of others.
Also a perfect example of selectively using censored information, and likely exaggerating it as well.
Also a perfect example of vilifying and mocking the messengers.

As for me comparing myself to Galileo, not a chance.  But my agenda is entirely irrelevant to the "truth" of the matter.

By the way, didn't you just compare Wilson to JFK?  Twice?   

Maybe Part II should be titled "The Martyr of Merion."
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:37:01 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2008, 10:59:59 PM »
"Even years later, Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson, and Robert Lesley (President of MCC Golf Association,) and H.J. Whigham all still thought enough of M&W's contributions to credit them and/or thank them. 

So I assume you think it "chronological snobbery" for modern writers to snub them?  How about Merion itself?  If not why not?"

David Moriarty:

You seem to be inferring a pretty good point here and it's one I've been trying to make on here for a few weeks now including my asking you if you knew why I was asking you why you included the name Toulmin in that post which you didn't answer apparently thinking I was implying something nefarious or trying to catch you on something, which I wasn't.

My point is both you and Tom MacWood have been constantly implying that you have uncovered some new facts in your essay. I'm wondering what actual new facts you think you've uncovered.  You seem to think you've uncovered a new fact in that Francis' idea for the 15th and 16th green that you say took place before November 15, 1910. I think I can pretty much guarantee for a variety of reasons that could not have happened that early and secondly how in the world can you pass that off as an actual fact? What documentary evidence are you using to establish that fact except your own opinion that Macdonald provided a routing that has never been seen or mentioned by anyone, not Macdonald or anyone else---ever? If this is the kind of thing you two are now referring to as "new fact", they are not facts at all---just your opinon and your theory!

It seems to me the only reason you tried to slide that event back into 1910 instead of in 1911 when it logically happened chronologically is because its pretty undeniable that Macdonald was only there twice--once in June 1910 and the next time in April 1911. Therefore if you didn't put that event of Francis' in 1910 how could he have been 'tweaking' a Macdonald routing?

But the thing that has apparently changed with your research and your essay is the fact that Wilson probably didn't go abroad in 1910 and didn't spend seven months over there in 1910 and did not bring back sketches and drawings and surveyors maps, not in 1910 and probably not in 1912 either.

My point is that story may not have entered the history of Merion within a half century of the creation of Merion. So the thing to ask and understand is what does it matter since it had absolutely no affect on the creation of Merion in 1910 and 1911 which was the timespan of your essay and the timespan subject of all these threads on Merion?

My point is the people who were actually there to work on and observe the creation of Merion including Hugh and Alan Wilson and the members of the committee and the golf chairman, Robert Lesley, did give Macdonald and Whigam the credit they deserved and that has been our point for years. THAT is the real story of the creation of Merion, in my opinion, and that's what I've been saying for over five years now. The Alan Wilson report, particularly, still is there unrefuted by you or by anyone---ever!

But if you are now going to start referring to some story that may've entered Merion's history a half century later that is something else altogether that has never been addressed on any of these thread going back five or more years and up until to date. Again, the point is that story in no way impacts the factual events of the creation of Merion East in 1910-1911.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:13:15 PM by TEPaul »

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2008, 11:07:09 PM »
Hugh Wilson traveled to the UK to study golf architecture in 1912, after Merion-East was constructed.

Is this an example of revisionist history?

Trying to dismiss or minimize this fact would seem to be agenda driven IMO. Disagree?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »
David -

I can only speak for myself, but I have no trouble at all with Tom P sharing thoughts and opinions based on documents that he may have access to and that others don't.  And if it comes to something by Max Behr, I'd strongly encourage him to share those thoughts and opinions as freely as he deems appropriate -- there is no one who interests me more in the history of golf course architecture than Max Behr. You seem to be the only one on this discussion board who feels that if any documents Tom's referring to aren't public he's somehow bound not even to mention them or his opinions about them here on the board, and/or somehow bound to share them with you first, beforehand.  I really don't understand that point of view. What Tom knows and when he feels he can share what he knows is totally up to him; this is a democratic discussion board, thank goodness, and all participants are free to offer up (or not) whatever opinions they want to share whenever and however they choose. And for all I know Tom may eventually share documents with any number of people, including dozens of posters from this board, even including some rank and unworthy novice like me; and in that event, it seems to me that he'd be opening up his opinions and documentaton for review, even if you weren't one of the reviewers.

Peter     

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »
Peter
With all due respect, the premier Behr expert is Geoff Shackelford. If I'm not mistaken TEP got all his Behr info from GS. Geoff & Lynn Shackelford, Tommy N and David all live in Behr's southland. If he doesn't have access to the Behr info at present I'm certain he would have no problem getting it. Hell I'll give it to him.

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31:56 PM »
"By the way, didn't you just compare Wilson to JFK?  Twice?"

I most certainly did. Why do you have a problem with that? Half the photos of Hugh Wilson look to me remarkably like a young John F. Kennedy! I'm 63 years old and I grew up with John Kennedy. Frankly, I idolized the guy as did many Americans of my age. My mother's brother and my grandmother's son, Louis C. Clark, who was killed in the beginning of WW2 testing Hell Cats was Kennedy's classmate and friend and the president of his Harvard class. My father went to Motor Torpedo Boat School with Kennedy. They had a ton of friends in common as well. Are you and MacWood going to start poking fun at that too?? This is all some pretty good personal history for this website, David Moriarty, and you should learn to appreciate it rather than mock it or make fun of it.

And I've read hundreds of Hugh Wilson's letters. Have you? I get a distinct sense from those letters Hugh Wilson's personality and style was a lot like Kennedy's and to me they looked almost like brothers. Wilson went to Princeton. Did you know that John F. Kennedy matriculated as a freshman into Princeton, David Moriarty?

What in the hell are you trying to suggest now, that I PROVE that I feel that young JFK and young Hugh Wilson seemed to have a lot of common characteristics? If you are what do you think you're trying to do on this website---eg completely shut down on people's OPINIONS??   

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2008, 11:36:05 PM »
But Tom - Geoff and Lynn Shackelford don't particpate much (or at all) on this discussion board, and Tommy N's participation on this board I miss a lot, and since I've been here Tom P is one of only a very few posters who's shared (or been able to share) information about Max Behr and his writings that I didn't have or didn't know about it; and he's also been a guide for a mess of speculative thinking on my part about the meaning of some of Behr's ideas. I thought that there was a reference to a letter from Behr to Wilson that I didn't know about, and that's what I was asking Tom to share, if he felt it was appropriate. And in the weeks ahead, I hope you'll get the chance to and consider starting some threads on Max Behr.

Peter 

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:06 PM »
Tom MacWood:

I got all the Behr articles GeoffShac had about what seems like ten years ago. I think I have everything he has and we used to talk about his philosophy and all his articles and the nuances and meaning of them constantly. Now it's Bob Crosby who has taken over that roll with me. I'm still trying to find that one elusive Behr article that even he's never found and I might have a pretty good bead on it. You never stop trying to pass yourself off as some "expert researcher" but I'll challenge you with my knowledge of Behr and everything he wrote against your knowledge of him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 11:42:26 PM »

I most certainly did. Why do you have a problem with that? Half the photos of Hugh Wilson look to me remarkably like a young John F. Kennedy! I'm 63 years old and I grew up with John Kennedy. Frankly, I idolized the guy as did many Americans of my age. My mother's brother and my grandmother's son, Louis C. Clark, who was killed in the beginning of WW2 testing Hell Cats was Kennedy's classmate and friend and the president of his Harvard class. My father went to Motor Torpedo Boat School with Kennedy. They had a ton of friends in common as well. Are you and MacWood going to start poking fun at that too?? This is all some pretty good personal history for this website, David Moriarty, and you should learn to appreciate it rather than mock it or make fun of it.

And I've read hundreds of Hugh Wilson's letters. Have you? I get a distinct sense from those letters Hugh Wilson's personality and style was a lot like Kennedy's and to me they looked almost like brothers. Wilson went to Princeton. Did you know that John F. Kennedy matriculated as a freshman into Princeton, David Moriarty?

What in the hell are you trying to suggest now, that I PROVE that I feel that young JFK and young Hugh Wilson seemed to have a lot of common characteristics? If you are what do you think you're trying to do on this website---eg completely shut down on people's OPINIONS??   

TE
Did you get permission from the Kennedy family, the US Navy or Princeton U before posting your latest response?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 11:55:53 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
"Hugh Wilson traveled to the UK to study golf architecture in 1912, after Merion-East was constructed.
Trying to dismiss or minimize this fact would seem to be agenda driven IMO. Disagree?"

Tom:

No, not at all, not even close. That is one of the most interesting potential facts that has come out of what David Moriarty has done with his Merion research. That one should definitely go into Merion's record and it will, in my opinion.

The only thing is it has nothing at all to do with the conclusion of his essay that Macdonald/Whigam likely routed Merion East in 1910. If you don't understand why that is you have a whole lot of catching up to do on these threads!

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:16 PM »
But Tom - Geoff and Lynn Shackelford don't particpate much (or at all) on this discussion board, and Tommy N's participation on this board I miss a lot, and since I've been here Tom P is one of only a very few posters who's shared (or been able to share) information about Max Behr and his writings that I didn't have or didn't know about it; and he's also been a guide for a mess of speculative thinking on my part about the meaning of some of Behr's ideas. I thought that there was a reference to a letter from Behr to Wilson that I didn't know about, and that's what I was asking Tom to share, if he felt it was appropriate. And in the weeks ahead, I hope you'll get the chance to and consider starting some threads on Max Behr.

Peter 

Peter
Berh's articles are in the public domain. Many of them can be accessed via the internet. If you are interested in Behr I would recommend Geoff's article in the magazine Golf Architecture (Issue #7). Here is a link.

http://www.sagca.org.au/

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:04 PM »
"Hugh Wilson traveled to the UK to study golf architecture in 1912, after Merion-East was constructed.
Trying to dismiss or minimize this fact would seem to be agenda driven IMO. Disagree?"

Tom:

No, not at all, not even close. That is one of the most interesting potential facts that has come out of what David Moriarty has done with his Merion research. That one should definitely go into Merion's record and it will, in my opinion.

So you acknowledge David revised the history of Merion?

DMoriarty

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2008, 11:58:49 PM »
"I've read the essay several times and I didn't read the conclusions you describe. What conclusions were agenda driven?"

Tom MacWood:

This is the conclusion I think was agenda driven. Over five years ago you began to try to promote the assumption that Macdonald and Whigam's roll in the creation of Merion East was in some way minimized by the club and by us. Do you deny that now? If you do, I'd be happy to bring up a few of your threads on that from over five years ago.

Here is one of them:

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,1388.0.html

I've reviewed it.  Tom MacWood asked why M&W were not credited for their involvement in Merion.  He also brings to the attention of the board the article noting that M&W had been aiding the committee and were on site in or around April 1911.   

As the thread went on, you and Wayne hammered at him like you hammer at the two of us now.    Turns out MacWood was on the money, and you guys were all wet.   The interesting thing, is that you already know about the information you had brought forward, yet nary a peep about it from either of you.

For those watching at home, the thread highlights the song and dance that Tom and Wayne have been doing for years regarding these issues.  Always only letting on to that which is already known, never offering up anything that might be construed to damage the legend.

Here is one of Wayne's posts from the thread, in response to something TomM said what was right on the money, and still applies.

"I believe your frustration is due to the fact that I'm approaching this with logic and common sense, and simply looking at the evidence....I don't have the emotional investment in the story that you and Wayne appear to have."

Tom MacWood,

Now you are starting to get me mad.  A statement like yours above would imply that you believe we are not conducting our research properly.  You are resorting to base acusations simply because we do not come to the same conclusion as do you.  This has absolutely nothing to do with a Philadelphia-centric bias or campaign to glorify individuals at the expense of the truth.  We clearly are looking at the same information as you in addition to a roomfull more and drawing a different conclusion.  That is nothing to get upset about.  The information you have presented is incomplete and does not merit much attribution to Macdonald and Whigham at Merion.  You've stated in the past that they were brought in to assist at Merion.  That means nothing at all without additional supporting evidence and none has yet been presented.  We may never have the materials to clarify their roles.  Let's just say, once and for all, that they were of some kind service as yet to be determined.  Given that nothing at Merion (construction era and beyond) remotely resembles any template holes that Macdonald consistantly employed is better evidence than that which you've presented.  At least it is concrete.  Did they help Wilson with general theories?  That would seem to be the case during his visit prior to going overseas.  Did they come to Philadelphia ?  Yes.  Does that mean they made a dedicated trip at the behest of the club?  We have no idea.  So stop saying that because they were on site they must have been contributing anything concrete.  Nobody knows but you speculate and build theories on this unsteady underpinning.  You seem to find it difficult to give overwhelming credit to Wilson and the team at Merion.  Wilson was a smart guy, went to the UK for several months to study architecture and spent much of his life working on agronomic issues that propelled him well past Macdonald's abilities and his collaboration with Flynn helped create monumental achievements every bit as good as Macdonald and Raynor's best.  Do you find it difficult that an intelligent man who puts the time and effort into studying the field of golf architecture cannot come to a level of expertise to match or supercede Macdonald?  Do you really expect us to think that Macdonald's efforts were required at Merion?   In my view, the course evolved in ways that Macdonald never dreamed of and is a far cry from its original 1912 design.  Was he of some assistance?  Most likely.  But given that that assistance cannot at this point be clarified, why don't you let the issue be.  The only agenda Tom and I have is the truth and digging up as much fact as we can and making sure we present educated suppostions as that with whatever evidence we can amass.  For you to imply that we are blinded by some Philadelphia Phever and don't want to conclude that others may have helped is plain wrong and rather an immature response.  Can't you get it that you make too great a leap when you believe that you have presented evidence that Macdonald and Whigham were instrumental in assisting the Merion golf course?  I am open to any facts that are pertinent.  I want the truth.  You say that we want to perpetuate myths.  That is a personal affront and completely in error.

Here is one of TEPaul's, again in response to something entirely reasonable.

" I simply said they advised the board, something they've never been given credit for depsite the overwelming proof."

Tom MacW:

This is just another half-assed remark of yours. What do you think that means? They (Macdonald and Whigham) advised the Board? What Board? Would that be the Board of what was then the Merion Cricket Club which was the cricket club (only tennis and cricket) and the Merion golf course that was a golf entity within the Merion Cricket Club? See you probably never even realized that. Or do you mean the "committee" that was appointed by the Merion Cricket Club to look into moving the Merion Cricket Club golf course from Bryn Mawr to Ardmore that consisted of Lloyd, Griscom, Toulmin, Francis and Wilson? They were the same "committee" that apparently all traveled to NGLA in 1910 to meet with Macdonald that's so well documented in the Merion history.

I was just rereading the five page report Hugh Wilson himself wrote at the behest of Piper in 1916 about the entire creation of the Merion East golf course. Have you ever seen that report of Hugh Wilson's, Tom? The entire first paragraph gives elaborate credit to Macdonald for those two days he apparently gave the entire "committee" at NGLA an education  in golf architecture before Hugh Wilson set off for six months of architectural study in Scotland and England. The remainder of that report only talks about "we" doing the golf course from the spring of 1911 until mid-September when the course was grassed, not to open for a year! Why, if Wilson gives him so much credit for that would he withhold it if Macdonald did more on site? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Do you think that time at NGLA just might be the time so many have given credit to Macdonald for including that entire committee, Wilson and Merion and many others too probaby including what was meant in many of those magazine articles? If Macdonald and Whigham came to Philadelphia and looked at Merion and pronounced it a good site with some apparently very fine holes do you really think that constitutes something deserving of any real architectural attribution when the rest of them apparently spent many months creating the course daily and then Wilson and Flynn spent years following that changing, developing and perfecting it! Do you really think Wilson or anyone else at Merion would have or should have given them real architectural credit for saying the site looked good and some holes did too?

You talk about "proof" of Macdonald and Whigham coming to Merion and giving advice. Proof of what advice, Tom? That's all any of us are asking you to produce and no magazine article you've produced to date gives that proof of what thay advice was.

This is no real difference from your inability to come to terms with the things that Crump was doing daily at PVGC for five years after Colt left in 1913. You once basically implied he was there during that time to watch the grass grow on Colt's routing and design. That's just total garbage and most anyone can understand that. And you actually talk to me about looking at this stuff with Logic? Where in the world is your logic and your common sense? You just continue to deny the obvious and I think you do that because I don't think you have any real feel for the way things were done back then out on those courses architecturally or even how they're done today for that matter. You just read these magazine articles, admittedly knowing nothing about Merion and you see something like that and think it deserves real architectural attribution.

Hell, I went out to Rustic Canyon before construction one time for a couple of days and probably gave Geoff Shackelford and Jim Wagner some advice that they asked mr for for some reason about a couple of holes. And the next thing I knew there was this story going around that I'd helped design those holes. That was completely untrue---I just basically agreed with some of what they seemed to want to do and maybe helped them make a decision. How do you know Macdonald and Whigham did any more than that?

You don't and nothing you've produced about Macdonald and Whigham's advice or contribution to Merion East says otherwise. It's time you come to grips with that fact and stop wasting everyone's time here. If you come up with anything more conclusive and specific I guarantee we'd love to hear about it and so would Merion.

These are both pretty mild choices.  I don't want to be accused of having a bias.

Later David Moriarty picked up on that assumption and it led to his conclusion in "The Missing Faces of Merion" that Macdonald/Whigam produced a routing for Merion East in 1910. Did you somehow fail to notice that conclusion in his essay when you reviewed it?

If you did miss that or if one or both of you are no longer trying to support that claim, I think we can probably end all this right now.  ;)

I would be glad to dismiss the conclusion if there is evidence that refutes the evidence I offered.   So far the only thing I have seen is the transcription of an unverified letter, and if that is accurate and complete, then all that proves is that CBM did not provide a description of the routing in his June 29 letter. 

If you guys want to come forward with the other dispositive evidence on the issue for review, then I'd be glad to dismiss it.   But don't expect me to take your work for it. 

"Even years later, Alan Wilson, Hugh Wilson, and Robert Lesley (President of MCC Golf Association,) and H.J. Whigham all still thought enough of M&W's contributions to credit them and/or thank them. 

So I assume you think it "chronological snobbery" for modern writers to snub them?  How about Merion itself?  If not why not?"

David Moriarty:

You seem to be inferring a pretty good point here and it's one I've been trying to make on here for a few weeks now including my asking you if you knew why I was asking you why you included the name Toulmin in that post which you didn't answer apparently thinking I was implying something nefarious or trying to catch you on something, which I wasn't.

I did answer the question.  Twice.  Again here is the answer:  Yes, I have a good idea of why you brought it up. 

My point is both you and Tom MacWood have been constantly implying that you have uncovered some new facts in your essay. I'm wondering what actual new facts you think you've uncovered.

Except maybe for the introductory paragraphs, just about every section of my essay contains something novel that has not been previously disseminated.  There are something like 23 sections in my paper, after the introduction.   So there is your list.  Of these, one inference has been proven false so far (assuming the letter checks out.)

Negating this one inference has some impact on the rest of the essay, but not nearly as much as you might think.   Most of the essay still stands.   And my opinion that M&W were the driving creative forces behind the design of Merion East is as strong or stronger than ever.   

Surely more will change if and when you guys finally come clean (I wont hold my breath on that one.)   But given what you have let slip about the Top Secret MCC Documents,  I don't foresee the changes being that earth-shattering. 

You make my point for me.  You idolize Wilson like you idolize Kennedy and your father.  You consider him untouchable.  You are way too defensive about everything to do with him.  You are incapable of looking at any of this objectively, just as you would be if I wrote about your father. 

While you, Cirba, and the rest of your cronies continue to make fun of whoever you want, and mock or ridicule anything you want, I have never attacked Wilson, Lloyd, Griscom, or your father for that matter.  They all sound like great men who really made something of their lives.

[TWO SENTENCES DELETED approx 5 minutes after originally posted because they were in bad taste]
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:21:42 AM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

TEPaul

« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2008, 12:02:38 AM »
"TE
Did you get permission for the Kennedy family, the US Navy or Princeton U before posting your latest response?"

No sir, do you think I should have?  ::)

I got permission to say those things many years ago from Kennedy's first wife, my father who was in Motor Torpedo Boat School with Kennedy, and the guy who lived in the room next to him at Princeton who went out with my mother at one point. Would you like to hear more?   ;)

Furthermore, when all of them told me all that years ago they said if you ever wanted to write about any of it someday---then by all means go for it.  :)

I'll also tell you some interesting stuff about Teddy, but under the circumstances, I don't think so, at this point!  :-X

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:06:18 AM by TEPaul »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »
David - The last few lines of your last post (and its last line in particular) just aren't right. No one's behaved particularly well around here lately, but making those kind of remarks just isn't right, plain and simple. Even if I didn't consider Tom a friend, I'd still be asking you to delete it, at the very least. And if you'e feeling like you've taken more than you've given, still, it's the right thing to do to start creating a better environment.

Peter   

Tom M - thanks for the link. I will follow up. I think I know of most of Behr's public domain writings..but I assumed there was much still buried in (or only available in) old magazines, not yet on-line or perhaps even widely know.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:35:46 AM by Peter Pallotta »

DMoriarty

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2008, 12:12:21 AM »
David -

I can only speak for myself, but I have no trouble at all with Tom P sharing thoughts and opinions based on documents that he may have access to and that others don't.  And if it comes to something by Max Behr, I'd strongly encourage him to share those thoughts and opinions as freely as he deems appropriate -- there is no one who interests me more in the history of golf course architecture than Max Behr. You seem to be the only one on this discussion board who feels that if any documents Tom's referring to aren't public he's somehow bound not even to mention them or his opinions about them here on the board, and/or somehow bound to share them with you first, beforehand.  I really don't understand that point of view. What Tom knows and when he feels he can share what he knows is totally up to him; this is a democratic discussion board, thank goodness, and all participants are free to offer up (or not) whatever opinions they want to share whenever and however they choose. And for all I know Tom may eventually share documents with any number of people, including dozens of posters from this board, even including some rank and unworthy novice like me; and in that event, it seems to me that he'd be opening up his opinions and documentaton for review, even if you weren't one of the reviewers.

Peter     

Peter,

1.  He is not just offering general opinions, but is rather using the documents rhetorically, claiming that they refute my essay.  Surely you don't think that I ought to just take his word for it, do you?
2.  If so, you haven't been paying attention.  He has repeatedly misunderstood, mispresented, misstated the meaning of source material, and has concealed other information.
3.  Would you have felt the same if I had refused to produce my source material?

Peter,  I'll delete the sentences for the sake of peace, but I am not sure I should.  Tom indicated he would control himself, yet he has behaved and continues atrociously.   Is Tom Paul ever going to have to take responsibility for his own words and actions?   

Mike Cirba,

I too am interested in hearing your answer to Tom MacWood's questions.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:20:54 AM by DMoriarty »

TEPaul

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »
"As the thread went on, you and Wayne hammered at him like you hammer at the two of us now."

Bring the thread up, David Moriarty, and this board and the world-wide Internet will see we did nothing of the kind when he started that thread back in 2003. Bring it up Moriarty, as I, for one, am getting sick and tired of your constant mischaracterizations of us.

That articles he found in 2003 have been part of the Merion archives probably from as far back as the day after those articles were written. We've been aware of them for years and the fact is they say nothing any different from Hugh and Alan Wilson's reports about Macdonald and Whigam which we've stood behind for years and still do as both of them stand there still today completely unrefuted by you or MacWood or anyone else.

A few days into that thread Wayne checked in with his first post on that thread and gave Tom MacWood a really comprehensive rundown on the facts of Merion's history and all that's in its archives and anyone can see Tom MacWood's first response was to basically take umbrage as if Wayne was trying to infer that MacWood needed an education in research. Wayne Morrison didn't say or mean anything of the kind and it was nothing more than MacWood's arrogant and defensive reaction to this notion of his that no one is capable of doing research like he is. What a joke! He found a few articles he apparently thought was wholly new and unknown material and he was asking what it meant. We told him it means nothing more than the recorded Merion history back then and it didn't and doesn't mean anything different than that.

Bring the thread up, Moriarty and let everyone judge it for themselves. Bring it up!!  
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:25:13 AM by TEPaul »

DMoriarty

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
"As the thread went on, you and Wayne hammered at him like you hammer at the two of us now."

Bring the thread up, David Moriarty, and this board and the world-wide Internet will see we did nothing of the kind when he started that thread back in 2003. Bring it up Moriarty, as I, for one, am getting sick and tired of your constant mischaracterizations of us.

That articles he found in 2003 have been part of the Merion archives probably from as far back as the day after those articles were written. We've been aware of them for years and the fact is they say nothing any different from Hugh and Alan Wilson's reports about Macdonald and Whigam which we've stood behind for years and still do as both of them stand there still today completely unrefuted by you or MacWood or anyone else.

A few days into that thread Wayne checked in with his first post on that thread and gave Tom MacWood a really comprehensive rundown on the facts of Merion's history and all that's in its archives and anyone can see Tom MacWood's first response was to basically take umbrage as if Wayne was trying to infer that MacWood needed an education in research. Wayne Morrison didn't say or mean anything of the kind and it was nothing more than MacWood's arrogant and defensive reaction to this notion of his that no one is capable of doing research like he is. What a joke! He found a few articles he apparently thought was wholly new and unknown material and he was asking what it meant. We told him it means nothing more than the recorded Merion history back then and it didn't and doesn't. 

I linked it above.  Anyone who wants to look at it can.  This won't work for my "Puzzle" thread, because you and Wayne deleted hundreds of your offensive posts.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back