News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Rumor has it that
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »
the new, drivable par 4 17th at Atlantic is spectacular and a further enhancement to the golf course.

Has anyone played it yet ?

Your thoughts please.

Tom_Doak

Re: Rumor has it that
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
Pat:  Did Mike Davis move up the tee?  Or was it Bob Ranum?

I remember Dr. MacKenzie's book had a thought-provoking passage that some holes would be improved if they were SHORTENED, instead of lengthened as all committees are wont to do.  Nice to see the idea catch on 75 years later.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:03 PM »
Tom Doak,

Do you mean conceptually or physically ?

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »
Pat Mucci-

I played Atlantic about a week ago and was very impressed.

I thought the 17th was a pretty solid hole.

Hit a good drive out to the right side and you can sling shot your ball through an opening up to the fringe or onto the green. But it is definitly a risk reward golf shot. Right is absolutely dead, and if you flirt with a nasty bunker. It definitly gives lay up a thought. (for better players)

I also watched my playing partner drive the green by taking a different route, the left side! I'm not sure how good an idea that was, next time I'll check it out.

I spoke with some guys who know Atlantic well, and Rick Hartman and the super have done a great job. Alot of Reese has been eliminated over the years. Pat, I believe you mentioned that in a thread that I started a few days back. I didn't have much time to comment on that thread because I was busy.

Atlantic offers a great variety of shots and is very playable with the correct set of tees.

Great finishing holes, and gotta love that short on the back.

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:26:03 PM »
For those of us who haven't been there, what was the hole like before and what was the impetus for the change?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back