News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Re: Wayne Stiles book
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »
JK, thank you, that's very kind of you re: Norwood Hills -- site of the 1948 PGA Championship.

For a very favorable review of the Stiles book, see the latest Golfweek, March 22 issue, pg. 23.

Jay Carstens

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:22 AM »
I was hoping there would be some additional info about Omaha Country Club in the new Stiles biography but no luck.  They mention a listing in Fraser's International Golf Yearbook in 1924 of 27 holes under construction but the course wasn't listed as a Stiles project in 1927, 1929, or 1931.  The current professional at OCC is said to believe the club installed the work of William Langford & Theodore Moreau but there is no claim to the design on their course list either.  I also spoke to the superintendant and he believed it to be L&M too.  I guess the mystery continues...
Play the course as you find it

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
Jay,

I got the book, too and have read it, in part wondering about their take on OCC as well.

While not definitive, a listing in 1924 but not subsequently may support the notion that LM did OCC. Granted, this is all speculation, but I say that because:

Its possible that Stiles thought he had a contract at deadline for submitting his list.

He may have actually had a contract, but missed a construction site visit due to distance or schedule.  OCC may have decided a closer gca would service them better and selected LM.

Or, maybe Stiles even did some design work but couldn't handle construction well ( a la Ross after WWI) and farmed the work to LM.  Even more likely, who ever got the construction contract ( American Park Builders (or others) might have brought LM in to finish because of a past relationship.  Maybe Stiles did just the routing.

Yes its speculation, but those things still happen. With some confusion over 80 years, it makes sense to me that something unusual happened to create it.

The on site evidence that its Stiles, BTW, is that the remaining original greens as of a few years ago didn't look completely like LM greens, although a few did.  I am not an expert on Stiles, and am going from memory, but more looked like the photos in the book than the most dramatic LM greens, and the site would have afforded LM the chance to do more boxcar greens, etc. that they were famous for.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jay Carstens

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 11:42:42 AM »
Hi Jeff and thanks for your further insite towards OCC's origin.  I guess it's all speculation at this point but you interject some logic into the probables.  Btw, I'm currently working at a course in Lincoln (Highlands) that has your fingerprint all over it.  At least we're certain about that.  It's definitely yours!  ;)  We love it too.
Play the course as you find it

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 07:14:51 AM »
Of all the biogrpahical books on golf architects this is the most throrough and comprehensive effort I've seen. Very well done by Bob Labbance and Kevin Mendik.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back