News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Wright

What Are Your "Hidden Gems"?
« on: June 09, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »
We've discussed this before but since there are a number of new entrants to GCA.com I thought I'd pose this question again. For purposes of this discussion, my definition of a "hidden gem" is this:  Hard to find or relatively unknown to participants on this site, but a quality course with decent golf course architecture that is worth seeing if you are in the area.

The following are NOT hidden gems: Bandon Dunes/Trails, Pebble Beach, Banff, NGLA or the euphemistically-named St. Andrews GC (Westcliffe, CO), which doesn't qualify because it's a dog track and not worth seeing. In this region, Wild Horse and Black Mesa are hard to find but neither is "relatively unknown" to participants on this site and thus are not "hidden gems."

Some examples of my hidden gems (and why I think they are worth seeing): 

Grandote Peaks Golf Course, La Veta, CO. This Weiskopf/Morris public track has a solid design that has endured drought and ownership squabbles over the past several years. Excellent use of a creek that runs through the property, and a fine variety of holes.

Blueberry Hill GC, Warren, PA. By Ferdinand (Fred) Garbin, who worked with James G. Harrison (who in turn I believe worked with Ross). This course in the remote wooded hills of NW Pennsylvania is a pleasure to play. It makes fine use of the rolling countryside, and the sloped, small greens evoke Ross. Although some of the holes have been reworked and are less interesting than the originals, any course that features bells that must be rung on three holes to alert the following group that the fairway is open is pretty cool to me. Has anyone else on this site played this course?

In Scotland, something like Boat of Garten would qualify in my book. 

Maybe it's the course you grew up on. If it hits the definition, let us know about it.  Thanks for your input.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Sean_A

Re: What Are Your "Hidden Gems"?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
This question is always difficult because the world is becoming a small place.  That said here are a few top HGs.

CASTLETOWN - fairly well thought of in the UK as it usually makes top 100 lists, but I know very few people you have actually seen the course.  Its hidden and a gem.

PERRANPORTH - again, fairly well known for holiday makers to Cornwall, but it doesn't really register on lists.  Its more of a gem than hidden.

I am gonna go with BEAU DESERT as one.  It never makes any lists and its mainly only played by Midlanders - its difficult to get people to visit Brum, but they wouldn't be disappointed with Beau.  Being in Brum its off the tourista trail - though its definitely more of a gem than hidden. 

WHITTINGTON HEATH - Very much under the radar even for Midlanders.  Solid if unspectacular golf.  Another one which is much more a gem than hidden.

Of course I have to go with KINGTON.  It is the very essence of of a hidden gem.  Beautiful spot, unique architecture and and it doesn't cost the earth.

DELAMERE FOREST - its one of those that folks here have heard of, but few play even though its convenient for Manchester airport.  It ain't hidden, but its sure a gem.

The last one I will mention is STONEHAM.  This place knocked my socks off last year.  I couldn't believe Park Jr had designed both Huntercombe and Stoneham.  In any case, the course is located in non tourista country near Southampton. 

There are others of lesser quality, but still quite enjoyable.  However, the above are the ones I would highly recommend.

Ciao

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:36:12 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »
Sean,

I have only played Delamere on your list and as you say, it is a gem.

Bob

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:05 PM »
In the Spokane area:

Indian Canyon - Chandler H Egan course. Dirt cheap green fees.

In the bay area:

Delta View - Allegedly the original 9 were designed by MacK.  Very affordable green fees.

In Utah

South Mountain - Mountain golf with spectacular views and green fees under $50.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
Do such things exist in the major metropolitan areas of the US?

Are there really courses that get overlooked?

I can't think of many.  Any course that is worthwhile in any way gets played and discussed quite a bit, or at least it seems to me.

That being said, a course I very much enjoy here in the SF Bay Area which gets very little discussion or notice is:

SPRING VALLEY GC, Milpitas, CA.

Any other GCAers play there much?

Very few bunkers, very sloped greens, many doglegs, lots of creative shotmaking required.  Fun course that can jump up and bite one from time to time.

And on top of all this, my non-golfing wife played it recently in a scramble and loved it.  I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

TH

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:47:26 PM »
Meadowlark (formerly Long Beach CC) is a Max Behr public in Huntington Beach. It's short, very quirky and has some stuff you don't see too often on So Cal.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:49:41 PM »
Tom,

I played the course a few times.  It did have some interesting holes and some very forgettable ones like 9 and 18... Mirror images of each other.

There was also some construction going on so conditions weren't the best. It'd be interesting to take another look at it.  Its certainly in a nice location up in the hills above Milpitas.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
Tom,

I played the course a few times.  It did have some interesting holes and some very forgettable ones like 9 and 18... Mirror images of each other.

There was also some construction going on so conditions weren't the best. It'd be interesting to take another look at it.  Its certainly in a nice location up in the hills above Milpitas.

Kalen - it's changed a lot over the years - it's worth checking out for sure. 9 and 18 remain somewhat mirror images, but the green on 18 has been moved up a lot - old green is putting green - so at least the distances are different now.  In any case I always kinda liked both of those holes just for the drive over the lake - not that far enough to require hero carry, but far enough to make one think a little.

TH

Don Hyslop

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:00:38 PM »
 A few from my area of the world include;
1. Glen Afton near Charlottetown on PEI( green fees for 18 holes $33.)

http://www.glenaftongolf.com/

2. Fundy National Park, New Brunswick- A Stanley Thompson 9 hole beauty
http://www.fundyparkchalets.com/golf.htm

3. Herring Cove Golf Course, Campobello Island, New Brunswick, A Geoffrey Cornish nine hole beauty on a small Canadian Island off the oast of Maine
http://www.campobello.com/bruce.html
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 02:03:05 PM »
Tom,

Kalen - it's changed a lot over the years - it's worth checking out for sure. 9 and 18 remain somewhat mirror images, but the green on 18 has been moved up a lot - old green is putting green - so at least the distances are different now.  In any case I always kinda liked both of those holes just for the drive over the lake - not that far enough to require hero carry, but far enough to make one think a little.

TH

Sweet,

Put it on the itenirary.  Next time I'm in town its:

1)  Santa Theresa
2)  Spring Valley
3)  The Ranch

You in??? :D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 02:04:22 PM »
Kalen - oh heck yeah - one fun hidden gem, one obligatory viewing of a certain trophy, one exercise in masochism.  That's all good by me!

TH

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 02:10:29 PM »
New Jersey

Moriss County GC is a very below the radar Raynor course that has some of the stuff you expect to see and more. http://www.morriscgc.com/

River Vale CC - It keeps going through ownership changes and it is more Orrin Smith than Ross, but this is a pretty good public course 15 miles from the George Washington Bridge:
http://www.rivervalecc.com/

The Knoll - Well known here due to George Bahto, but one of the few pulic Raynor/Banks courses. http://www.knollcc.com/ - really realy bad website.

Hawk Pointe - Still my favorite Kelly Moran course, houses only touch on the last hole or two.
http://www.hawkpointegolf.com

Long Island - The Island has been pretty well covered here, but St George's and Inwood have proximity to the giants as the main reasons that they are not mentioned more.

Westchester has been done to death here.

Connecticut - CC of Waterbury and I just played Round Hill Club yesterday for te first time in 15+ years. RHC has maybe the wildest (in a good way) terrain in the Met Area (Yale is not in The Met). The only flat lies seem to be on the tees. Travis greens on top of that make it the pick of the litter on this list. It is a family club with the deep roots of Greenwich, so even the machine of GCA.com may not have much luck getting on.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 02:26:10 PM »
Jupiter Hills VILLAGE course. 

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 02:46:31 PM »
two courses quite close to eachother...
Blackmoor and North Hants In Hampshire....I ahve very fond memories of them both from when I was still living in England..what a great weekend..
The Selboune Salver on saturday and then the Hampshire Hog on sunday, 36 holes a day on those two fine courses.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 05:06:51 PM »
Do such things exist in the major metropolitan areas of the US?

Are there really courses that get overlooked?

I can't think of many.  Any course that is worthwhile in any way gets played and discussed quite a bit, or at least it seems to me.

That being said, a course I very much enjoy here in the SF Bay Area which gets very little discussion or notice is:

SPRING VALLEY GC, Milpitas, CA.

Any other GCAers play there much?

Very few bunkers, very sloped greens, many doglegs, lots of creative shotmaking required.  Fun course that can jump up and bite one from time to time.

And on top of all this, my non-golfing wife played it recently in a scramble and loved it.  I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

TH

I've played Spring Valley a number of times. Sporty design, nice setting, need to move the ball both ways, and cheap. So altogether pretty attractive package.

From a design/quirk standpoint, I would offer up Victoria Club in Riverside.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 05:18:18 PM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:08 PM »
Jon - methinks you just described darn near all the things I value in a golf course.  Thus my affection for Spring Valley.

;D

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
Jon - methinks you just described darn near all the things I value in a golf course.  Thus my affection for Spring Valley.

;D

By that algorithm.....how do you feel about Silver Creek?  :'( This is a profanity free website.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:40:30 PM »
Doug,

Good topic. I'm hoping that one day some eager GCA'er with loads of time on their hands will organize and catalogue threads such as this and the recent thread on best public access by architect....for newbies. It could be similar to how Mr. Art Fuller is presenting a wonderful summation of the glorious Pacific thread with Mr. Doak's comments.

.....Digression......

My favorite hidden gems worth seeing if you are in the area:

Hardscrabble Country Club, Ft. Smtih, AR. Original routing by Perry Maxwell, with restoration by Geoffery Cornish (info courtesy of Chris Clouser). They currently host a Nationwide event here which is a pleasent surprise since the course is around 6700yds. A very pleasant walk and the routing makes good use of the rocky topography.

Pine Dunes, Frankston, TX. Jay Morrish. Started as a modest local 9-hole course in the piney woods of East Texas. Mr. Morrish was then hired and produced what I believe to be the best course in that part of the state (about ten years ago I believe). Sandy soil and gentle elevation changes throughout. Easily worth the drive if you are in Dallas or Shreveport.

Oakbourne Country Club. Lafayette, LA. Dick Wilson with later revisions by Finger,Dye, Spann & assoc. My personal favorite in the state features a solid variety of holes with some menacing greens.

Also Doug, I don't recall a conversation about Grandote Peaks during our brief visit last year. I will remember it next time 'round the I-25 corridor.

WH

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 05:46:16 PM »

;D

By that algorithm.....how do you feel about Silver Creek?  :'( This is a profanity free website.

Or THE RANCH AT SILVER CREEK, new public course right next door to that... let's see unsporty design, weird setting, no need to do anything but hit the ball straight, overpriced.

;)

Doug Wright

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 05:49:50 PM »
Doug,

Good topic. I'm hoping that one day some eager GCA'er with loads of time on their hands will organize and catalogue threads such as this

Wyatt,

That's actually what I've had in mind for awhile and what prompted this thread.  I thought I'd collect some additional information before I launched into the cataloguing process. So I'd appreciate any and all contributions. Thanks.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 05:54:38 PM »
Doug,

I'm excited that you are taking it in that direction. I have wanted to do something similar in the past, but things like relocation seem to get in the way. {That screeching sound is my emoticon restraint}

Thanks again, looking forward to what you come up with.

Wyatt

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »
The Joe Lee course in Nassau, Bahamas. It used be South Ocean Beach, then it was Divi Resort, I don't know what it is now. I love that golf course.

David Panzarasa

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 06:06:47 PM »
Wilshire CC in Los Angeles is one of my favorites.
Olde York Country Club in NJ I think is a really nice hidden less known gem.
also really like Suburban Country Club in Union NJ.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 06:21:47 PM »
Wild Hawk (Elk Grove, CA): Lots of interesting fairway undulations and central hazards, doesn't feel cramped despite small acreage, houses only along one border. Cheap (by CA standards).

Crooked Creek (south of Raleigh, NC): Lots of quirk, a few junker holes along with some inspired efforts. Half par holes abound. A few blind spots. Not for everybody, but you'll remember every hole.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Sam Morrow

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 06:47:29 PM »
Doug,

Good topic. I'm hoping that one day some eager GCA'er with loads of time on their hands will organize and catalogue threads such as this and the recent thread on best public access by architect....for newbies. It could be similar to how Mr. Art Fuller is presenting a wonderful summation of the glorious Pacific thread with Mr. Doak's comments.

.....Digression......

My favorite hidden gems worth seeing if you are in the area:

Hardscrabble Country Club, Ft. Smtih, AR. Original routing by Perry Maxwell, with restoration by Geoffery Cornish (info courtesy of Chris Clouser). They currently host a Nationwide event here which is a pleasent surprise since the course is around 6700yds. A very pleasant walk and the routing makes good use of the rocky topography.

Pine Dunes, Frankston, TX. Jay Morrish. Started as a modest local 9-hole course in the piney woods of East Texas. Mr. Morrish was then hired and produced what I believe to be the best course in that part of the state (about ten years ago I believe). Sandy soil and gentle elevation changes throughout. Easily worth the drive if you are in Dallas or Shreveport.

Oakbourne Country Club. Lafayette, LA. Dick Wilson with later revisions by Finger,Dye, Spann & assoc. My personal favorite in the state features a solid variety of holes with some menacing greens.

Also Doug, I don't recall a conversation about Grandote Peaks during our brief visit last year. I will remember it next time 'round the I-25 corridor.

WH

Hardscrabble and Pines Dunes are great examples, I played Oakbourne several years ago but don't remember much about it. I'd also throw out a few gems like Northshore outside Corpus Christi, Sugar Creek Canyons in Oklahoma, and Waterwood National because it's often overlooked in it's current conditions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back