News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Wigler

London Virgin
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:04:30 AM »
Hi all,

I just had a business trip come up to London and may have a window open in the late afternoon.  I have never played a round in the UK (Or been to the UK for that matter).

What time does it get dark around London in June?
If you had one round, where would you play and how long would the drive be?

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

Re: London Virgin
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »
David

London Virgin - Sorry now totally extinct :o ::) ;)

9ish subject to the Sun or 7-8 if an overcast day

Dan Boerger

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:16:52 AM »
One round to play ... I would select Swinley Forest.

Depending upon how much time you have and far you can travel, I would definitely try to get on a heathlands course in Surrey.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

David Wigler

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »
Dan,

I am going to be in Northwest London.  I should be done with my meetings around 12:00p and have the rest of the day free.  I have no idea how far a drive Surrey is.  Is that where Swinley Forest is?  Is that what you would do?

Thanks so much - Dave
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »

David

Why not try the West Herts G C (http://www.westhertsgolfclub.co.uk/),
West Herts Golf Club - The Clubhouse, Cassiobury Park, Rousebarn Lane,
Croxley Green, Rickmansworth, Herts WD3 3GG
Telephone: 01923 236484,

Different and NorthWest and near Watford.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:13:36 PM »
It gets too dark for golf at about 9.30 on a sunny day, and about 9.00 on a cloudy day in June.

If you have one round, you're not on a budget, and you have a fair amount of time - as you would if finishing at noon - then you should really play Sunningdale. Depending where you are in NW London it should take no more than an hour to get there and it really is fantastic (if expensive). Either course is brilliant although the Old is the more famous.

www.sunningdale-golfclub.co.uk

If you're really brave, Royal St.Georges would be about a 2 or 2 and a half hour drive - if leaving at noon you could easily get round.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
I haven't been either.
I would do what ever it took to stay an extra 5 days...
And I vote for Swinley otherwise.
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 02:42:01 PM »
What's the course one can see when taking the tube out to Heathrow?  I was just on the train the other day and passed it.  It's immediately off the tracks on the north side.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 02:56:27 PM »
JAL

Are you talking about Wyke Green G C see web site
http://www.wykegreengolfclub.co.uk/content.asp?content=11

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »
David , there are many places that offer excellent golf.  But if you are going to pick one play Sunningdale Old and New.  Generally they have a four ball on one course and a two ball on the other but late in the day it usually doesnot matter.  For a first timer,I don't think there is close second for both the golf and the history.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Chris Kane

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »
If you want to play Sunningdale or Swinley, get the train out there.  So much easier than driving from central London.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 03:28:47 PM »
If Sunningdale is not available then:

Staying in NW london  try Sandy Lodge - often overlooked but a small charmer.

Stoke Poges will be easy to get to.

If you're close to the M40 Huntercombe is within easy reach.

If Swinley won't let you on, the Berkshire won't dissapoint.

"Wentworth is the golfing gods way of telling you, you have too much money"

Or be perverse and opt for a rather good, and very affordable RTJ at Stockley Park.

Enjoy.
Let's make GCA grate again!

SPDB

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »
No recommendations for The Addington?

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 04:03:25 PM »
No recommendations for The Addington?

David in NW London
Addington in SE

He'd have more fun playing the flat airways strip mentioned above between the railway and the M4, than taking his chance with the M25.

Another NW course to tempt you might be Kyle Phillips The Grove. Expensive and it divides opinions but it adds to the chooice on the menu.

Let's make GCA grate again!

henrye

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
It gets too dark for golf at about 9.30 on a sunny day, and about 9.00 on a cloudy day in June.

If you have one round, you're not on a budget, and you have a fair amount of time - as you would if finishing at noon - then you should really play Sunningdale. Depending where you are in NW London it should take no more than an hour to get there and it really is fantastic (if expensive). Either course is brilliant although the Old is the more famous.

www.sunningdale-golfclub.co.uk

If you're really brave, Royal St.Georges would be about a 2 or 2 and a half hour drive - if leaving at noon you could easily get round.

Ditto except you have mentioned that you only have late afternoon availability.  I would ask the advise of Mark Rowlinson if he's available.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 06:29:07 PM »
On 15 June, sunset at Heathrow is at 9:20, to which add 45 mins of twilight if the weather allows.

Does St. George's Hill have all 27 holes open during the week?  That could be another option - only a mile or so off the M25.  Though I suppose one could still get in all 36 at Sunningdale.

JLahrman

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »
JAL

Are you talking about Wyke Green G C see web site
http://www.wykegreengolfclub.co.uk/content.asp?content=11

Thanks, but not sure.  All I know is that you could slice one and whack the train.

David Wigler

Re: London Virgin New
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »
On 15 June, sunset at Heathrow is at 9:20, to which add 45 mins of twilight if the weather allows.

Does St. George's Hill have all 27 holes open during the week?  That could be another option - only a mile or so off the M25.  Though I suppose one could still get in all 36 at Sunningdale.

Jason - This is perfect - thank you.

Everyone - It sounds like the reccomendations is Swinley Forest if they will have me and then a collection of Sunningdale, Wentworth, Stoke Poges and a number of others.  I will see what I can pull off.  Thanks so much for your help.  GCA is still the best.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:37:09 PM by David Wigler »
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back