News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Happy Hogmanay, James Braid
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:42:10 AM »
More evidence of the sheer ....... genius of James Briad.

Hainault Forrest lower – a course you never hear about.

As mentioned on a previous thread the first Municipal Course in England opened in 1909 in an East London suburb.  It was obviously a success and so a third nine was added in the early 1930’s and then it became 36 later in the decade.  Cornish & Whitten credit Strutt, who was mostly a constructor who worked with Braid a lot, but Moreton and the Owners say the final course was designed by Braid.  

So what kind of course did the 5 times Open Champion provide for the working man?

14 par 4’s, 2 par 3’s, 2 par 5’s.
At least 5 greens sloping front to back.
Wide corridors of play offering options.

He must have seen the similarities; could this have been the world’s first tribute course?

The course is the wrong side of London to attract attention but occasionally it has been noticed.  In his short book ‘On Golf’ Timothy O’Grady wrote “I liked this course better than any other I’d yet played around London.  It was wooded and hilly. ...there were some excellent par fours, particularly six and twelve.  I’d get picked up at dawn, we’d play for a few pounds and then we’d have fried eggs in the café after.”  He then describes some of the east end ‘characters’ who play this course – colourful is not the word.  The dawn start was common before computerised booking.  I am often reminded of the stories of playing ‘the Black’ when the old timers tell me about sleeping in the car on the roadside on the hill outside.  Today in summer the earliest tee time is officially 5.45am, but enquire at the club the day before and you’ll be told to get there at 5.15 and they’ll make sure you’ll get away.  

The first is a lovely start, 406 yards and if you can keep your tee shot left you get a look down the 44 yard long green.  A slice means you will have to come in over the bunker on the right.

The second is a 90 degree dog leg right playing to a green sloping steeply away form you.

3 is a long par 4 over a blind ridge and 4 is a short par 5 that features two drainage channels to break it up

But it’s at 6 that the course really comes alive.  The picture hides the fact there’s a terrific choice to be made on the tee.  You can choose to go upto 260 yards to the left and be faced with a level shot across a valley, but if you go straight or right your ball will finish in that valley.  You will then have a severely uphill shot form the bottom of the valley or a severely down hill lie if you don’t make it.  The best line to the green is from the right but you have to take a risk to find it.  It’s similar looking to the 12th at Woking - on steroids- but what makes this one great is there’s no single ‘best’ line .  For your second shot do you want a level stance from 180 yards and a very poor angle into the green, or the best line in but with a very difficult stance, or possibly a level stance but your shot may be blind?

7th Another excellent driving hole.  This shot from an elevated tee and the camera flattens out the ridgeback fairway.  Go left and you will face a blind second shot with the ball well above your feet.  Miss right and you’ll be lucky to avoid the tree, the lake or the bunker.

8th superb one shotter across a valley

9 blind shot over a crest will leave a pitch to a green running away from you. To make things interesting there’s a big drop right in front of the green. So to have any chance of a 4 you need to run the ball on between two flanking bunkers, but just enough that it feeds very slowly onto the ramp at the front.

After all the excitement a calmer hole but with a big slope to the green this time back to front.

11 up hill par 3, again superb and hard to photograph.  Heather, nice shot.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:49:20 AM by Tony Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tony_Muldoon

Re:Happy Hogmanay, James Braid
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
12 is the celebrated hole here. Henry Longhurst once picked it for a composite best 18.  Photos cannot do justice to this most remarkable topography.  It’s a dog leg right with the fairway sweeping round in a beautiful arc and falling so severely it looks like a banked track. You feel if you could get the ball running here it would go all the way to the green.  The green itself is tiny and the back of it has one of the steepest slopes I’ve seen anywhere.

13 is wonderful.  You walk up to an elevated tee shot, hit across another hill with a big bunker to distract you (sorry no photo) to an angled blind fairway. No matter how many times you stand there your mind is full of doubt.  For your second shot you are hitting across the same valley that sits in front of the green on 6 but this time you dare not miss left.

14 is the second par five and there’s a ‘principal’s nose’ type feature that has been allowed to grow out in the centre of the fairway.

The final 4 holes are all shortish par 4’s and they do feel a little deflating after what’s come before.  This is looking back at the 18th, 274 yards down hill.

About 4 years ago the course got some recognition when the Essex championships were played here.  At the time the county had a fine group of youngsters coming through. Lloyd Kennedy, already an international, won at (from memory) 10 under par for 4 rounds in perfect conditions. IN 3rd place was Oliver Fisher, who a year later would become the youngest ever winner of this event beating Michael Bonallack’s record.  There was talk of playing it over a composite course and I believe it would easily have given us another Doak 8, in the end it was deemed too difficult (i.e. the owners wouldn’t sacrifice the revenue of closing two courses for 4 rounds.). In order to ‘improve’ the course the competitors were all driven out to start at 10 so the best holes came towards the end.

As you can tell I love this place; even if the clay, the sometimes patchy maintenance and yes the clientele can all be maddening it offers great golf to all. You can play this course for £9.00 on a twilight and that makes it the best value golf I’ve ever played.  Braid surpassed himself in delivering another fine golf course for us all.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 09:50:11 AM by Tony Muldoon »

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:53:01 AM »
PS just noticed. Congratulations to the couple in the above pictures.

Another GCA sprog almost a month ago,  Happy New Year Caitlin, Amy, Heather and Richard.

John Kirk

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:54:01 AM »
Thanks, Tony.  A very nice presentation.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 04:58:07 PM »
Tony

Some excellent pictures which bring back some fond memories of HF lower, when the weather improves we will have to get out there for a round. Sadly for Essex golf when I was based in E17 the majority of my golf involved the A102M, A2, M2, A2 and the A258.

Mark
Cave Nil Vino

Willie_Dow

Re: Happy Hogmanay, James Braid
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:10 AM »
Hi Tony

When is it the best time of summer/fall to get over to play this great looking layout ?

Or maybe you would visit USA ?

Willie

Melvyn Morrow

Re: Happy Hogmanay, James Braid
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 08:36:18 AM »
Tony

Thanks for the photos, I forgot all about Hainault. I lived in Loughton in the late 70’s early 80’s and played at Hainault many times.

Days before carts, simple walking and gentle slopes, great.

Mind you, the Club House was very poor in those days. We would retire to Woodford “The Castle” as our 19th.

Thanks for the memories.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back