News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Birkert

Pinehurst advice
« on: June 08, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »
Question for those with knowledge of the area - it is my first trip to the area and I have reservations one No 2 and Tobacco Road. I'm looking for recommendations for 3 other courses to play as in my two and a half days there I'm looking to play a total of 5 rounds.

Obviously playing at least one of the other Pinehurst resort courses would be very sensible, but there are so many to choose from and I'd obviously rather play the better ones!

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm not looking for access to any private courses as I am perfectly happy to be experiencing No 2 and Tobacco Road.

Bill Gayne

Re: Pinehurst advice
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 02:01:43 PM »
I was in Pinehurst a couple of months ago and enjoyed the Megnolia course at Pinewild.

Steve Kline

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »
Next best Pinehurst resort course to play is No. 8. But, I would rather Pine Needles. It is the next best course in Pinehurst after No. 2. Also, good are Mid Pines and Mid South. There is a thread you can search for listing the top 10 courses in Pinehurst by people on the site.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 02:25:00 PM »
I like your two choices - both will be satisfying in very different ways.  I agree with Pine Needles - a great Donald Ross.  Before you play, get a copy of his book "Golf Has Never Failed Me" and take a look at the pictures on pgs 17 and 59 to see what it was like when he played it.
Doug

hhuffines

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:26:41 PM »
Pinehurst #1 has just been reworked and should be a lot of fun - maybe as a double with #2.  Some people enjoy #4 as well.  I would think Southern Pines would be a great option and easy on the wallet!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 02:40:45 PM »
Pine Needles / Mid Pines / Southern Pines - all solid Ross.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 02:42:31 PM »
Pine Needles is not to be missed.  Better than #2 in my opinion.

Mid Pines is also fantastic, a little shorter but devilish greens.

Southern Pines Country Club is a lot of fun.

Don't miss the bar / front porch at Pine Crest Inn.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 02:45:47 PM »

Don't miss the bar / front porch at Pine Crest Inn.

Or the late night, Scotch-fueled chipping contests in the front parlor, or the sing a longs at the piano bar with the locals.

Day time in Pinehurst is on the golf course, night time is at the Pine Crest Inn.

A Doak 8, I think, is a course you'll make a special trip to play.

The Pine Crest Inn is a McBride 9.5 for a golfy nightlife experience!  8)

Mike Golden

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 03:36:36 PM »
Pine Needles / Mid Pines / Southern Pines - all solid Ross.

Bill just likes Southern Pines because he and his partner beat Ran and I 1 up in a match made for the ages.  Of course, if had hit the 18th green with a 9 iron that wouldn't have happened.  I did have an injury excuse, having walked into one of the seed boxes on the front nine and had an edema the size of Rhode Island on my leg (that's the single best excuse of my life).

Pine Needles is probably my favorite Ross course and would endorse all 3 of them.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 03:46:55 PM »
Tom

I prefer both Mid Pines and Southern Pines to Pine Needles, but I am probably the only person on the planet who does.  In any case, I think you would enjoy Pine Needles the most if these are the choices.  Mind you, I think they offer day rates if play Mid Pines & Pine Needles on the same day.  Folks talk up the town of Pinehurst, but it isn't all that (in fact its just a tourista haunt) and certainly not worth missing a game if 36 is your thing. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 02:07:10 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

rjsimper

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 07:54:03 PM »
Pine Needles without question

Then, choose two of these:

Mid Pines
Southern Pines
Pinehurst 8
Pinehurst 4

Jesse Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
If you are playing 36..
The Pine Needles-Mid Pines combo is tough to beat..

John Blain

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 10:07:30 PM »
Sean,

You're not crazy as I also prefer Mid Pines to Pine Needles. I'm not quite sure why but I've always found Mid Pines more enjoyable to play than Pine Needles. I think I just find  it more interesting and like you said the greens are fantastic! Just to play the 18th hole is worth the trip.

John

PThomas

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 10:16:23 PM »
has anyone stayed at the hotel at Mid Pines/Pine Needles? any comments would be greatly appreciated...its my 20th anniversary and the wife and I might very well be going down there for a visit..
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
Tom

I prefer both Mid Pines and Southern Pines to Pine Needles, but I am probably the only person on the planet that who does.  In any case, I think you would enjoy Pine Needles the most if these are the choices.  Mind you, I think they offer day rates if play Mid Pines & Pine Needles on the same day.  Folks on talk up the town of Pinehurst, but it isn't all that (in fact its just a tourista haunt) and certainly not worth missing a game if golf if 36 is your thing. 

Ciao

Personal preference for 10 rounds among the three (irrespective of cost):
5 Southern Pines
3 Mid Pines
2 Pine Needles

As to the resort, Tom, I would listen to hhuffines and consider a crack at No. 1 post restoration.  Personally, I think what makes Pinehurst special to me as a student of architecture is its offer of a seminar in Donald Ross. Or maybe it's more like a trip to the Donald Ross living library -- anyway, my understanding is No. 1 has truly been restored and not transmogrified; it may play short by today's standards, but for the longest time it was far more popular than No. 2, which was built as a tournament course.

To play No. 1, No. 2, Southern Pines, Mid Pines and Pine Needles -- by the end you may well graduate to become one of the premier SW London Donald Ross experts!

Regards
Mark

Matt MacIver

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »
I prefer Mid-Pines to Pine Needles...I read somewhere that Ross was asked to design Pine Needles as a "Championship" course and then the owners across the street wanted Mid-Pines to be more of a "local" course.  If that was the case, mission accomplished, Mid-Pines is like a walk back in time.  Now that they're owned by the same group you can't ask for a better day of golf. 

We've stayed at Pine Needles, comfortable rooms and nice food.  Old-style rooms and lodging, more of a resort feel, whereas Mid-Pines (haven't stayed there) looks to me to be more of a 6-8 story traditional hotel.  Don't know if your wife plays or is looking for stuff to do while you play, if so Pinehurst Resort (spa, shopping etc) might be the best bet for you both.  But play these two courses! 

My fifth course on your trip would be #4, old Ross but with more elevation change than #2, and a pond in play on a few holes, still with some turtleback greens and fun challenges.  Others likes 7 & 8, but not me -- when I'm in Pinehurst I want to step back in time, and those two just don't "feel" right to me.  Enjoy your trip. 

John Blain

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
Matt,

Didn't Fazio completely "renovate" Pinehurst #4? Your post made it sound like it's a pure Ross. At one time I think it was. I'm not so sure anymore...

John

Matt MacIver

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »
Yes you're right he did re-do a lot and I've only played it post, not pre.  So no not a pure Ross, but I think there's still a lot there (routing, at least) and some general themes.  I frankly would love to play 1,3,5 and 6 at some point too. 

hhuffines

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 09:49:56 AM »
The Fazio course #4 has very little in common with the old version.  That said, I would prefer it over #8 if not for just playing out of the same location and saving the drive and bag change time out to #8.

Depending on your handicap I think #1 looks fantastic as I have walked most of it but havent yet played it.  It is much shorter, but has good elevation changes and some great looking holes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back