News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil McDade

Re: Twixt Chicago and Minneapolis OT
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 09:37:51 AM »
A few more thoughts:

-- I didn't mention University Ridge, because I'm not real fond of it, and it's also more of a detour than one thinks. I-94 skirts the far east side of Madison, and URidge is on the far southwest side of town; it's a minimum 30-minute one-way detour off the interstate to get there, and not real easy to find if you're not familiar with the area from the interstate.

-- The Norske Nook is well worth a visit for the pies alone, and it's about a two-minute detour off I-94, right in the heart of Osseo, about 30 minutes south of Eau Claire. The food is standard diner fare; the pies are first-rate. And the Harborside in Pepin is equally wonderful -- a real out-of-the-way place with wonderful views of the Big River and terrific food.

-- I'd second Dan Moore's recommendations for both Spring Green sites -- Taliesin is a must for any architectural buff, and the original 18 holes of the RTJ Sr. course there is quite good, and winds around the natural valleys near Spring Green.

A thought on how to get to Minneapolis from Chicago. Certainly the most direct and quick route is via the interstate system -- essentially I-90 out of Chicago toward Rockford, then hooking up with I-94 to the Twin Cities area. But as others have pointed out, it's not terribly scenic, and you'll be dodging semi-trucks the entire way (it's the most heavily trafficked route for commercial trucking in the Upper Midwest.)

On the other hand, there is an area of the Upper Midwest known as the Driftless Region, formed centuries ago when the glaciers drifted apart and didn't flatten all the land in their path. It's an area found roughly in a circle from Madison northwest to Eau Claire, then west over to Red Wing, MN, south toward Rochester, further south through the far northeast corner of Iowa, including Decorah and Dubuque, south and east to include the extreme northwest corner of Illinois, including Galena, and back north and east toward Madison. It's an incredibly scenic part of the Midwest, bisected by the Mississippi River, full of quaint little towns, rolling hills and hidden valleys. But travel is slow -- it's two-lane highways throughout. The interstates (90 and 94) skirt the very far eastern edge of this area -- you can drive 10 miles west of the interstate in Wisconsin, and find yourself lost in wonderful scenery and solitude.

There is certainly quality golf that doesn't involve major detours off the interstate if that's the chosen route. But for pure scenery, a drive through the Driftless Region in late spring/early summer can be a treat. But it's not quick.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:07 AM »
Phil,

I agree and when I have made the drive, I have taken "Backroad Wisconsin".  Lots of little things to see, and lots of little restaurants etc. that you will enjoy.  I enjoyed the FLW side trips as well.

I appreciate the nods towards my courses north of MSP, but they are certainly not on the way.  They are a good 3-4 hours north of MSP.  I believe they are worthy of the trip, or a separate trip, but they are not on the way!  Similar to backroad Wisconsin, the neat part of making the drive north from MSP is that you can see the landscape change from prairie to northern shield.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2008, 10:14:40 AM »
My friends have asked me to post this on their behalf:

"Our trip from Chicago was a great success and we appreciate all your help and advice.

We ended up playing five rounds of golf. The first at Lawsonia Links and the last two at Minikhada and Oak Ridge (the last thanks to and with Jason Topp) were on first class and challenging courses. We also played at River Falls which is good and has some pretty adventurous holes and at Frederic which was fun and friendly.

We stayed two nights at the Heidel House Centre which was excellent though not at all busy and one at the Country House at River Falls.

We certainly came across the I-94 roadworks that were mentioned but had no trouble from the speedcops. Weather was good except that we were 30 miles away from a tornado in Wisconsin and watched the most horrendous hailstorm we've ever seen last weekend in Minneapolis.

The US economy should be well on the way to recovery since I managed to buy a new set of clubs as well as various items of clothing and other presents.

Again, very many thanks - contact us if you  come over to the UK.

David and Morag Ravenscroft."

Jim Colton

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 10:57:11 PM »
-- In the schlocky Wisconsin Dells area, right off the interstate about an hour north of Madison, sits Trappers Turn, a very nice course designed by Wisconsin's Andy North, a two-time US Open champion. A nice stroll, some good scenery, some challenge without being over the top. Details here: http://trappersturn.com/ A new course open this year in the Wisconsin Dells area is Wild Rock, which is getting some good initial reviews and is much anticipated because it's done by the same folks (sans Whitten) who did Erin Hills. See here: http://www.wildrockgolf.com/

Phil, Thanks for pointing out Wild Rock...I didn't know about it until you mentioned it here.  It looks nice, but I can't help but point out on their website it says.  "Five Cool Things About Wild Rock: 1. Square Tee Boxes".  I'm not sure I see the coolness in that.

Phil McDade

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 11:24:19 AM »
Jim:

Let me know if you play it; I'm waiting for reports from some of my golf buddies here in Wisconsin. Apparently one of the nines at Wild Rock is distinguished by the use of an old quarry on several holes. It received a very good write-up in the Milwaukee paper (their golf writer likes most everything he plays...); I would think it would make a good one-two in the area w/ North's TTurns.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back