News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Rees Jones at Torrey Pines....
« on: June 07, 2008, 07:09:48 PM »
According to a recent article in Golf World, the Open Doctor "flattened and enlarged all 18 putting surfaces". 

I would think the tree house would have a field day with that statement. 

Fast and flat - should be a fun tournament to watch!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Dean Stokes

Re: Rees Jones at Torrey Pines....
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 07:31:16 PM »
Bethpage has some of the flatest greens I've ever seen. Didn't make it a boring course to watch golf on.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Scott Szabo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:08:31 PM »
I played Ballyneal the other day and would think the big boys would have more trouble on greens like those at more of a moderate pace than flatter greens running 15 on the stimpmeter.

Just my two cents....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:10:56 AM »
Scott, alot of the greens at Torrey were already pretty flat, so I don't think it made that big of a difference.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Scott Szabo

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 08:29:31 AM »
David,

I didn't know that - never been to the place myself.  I just thought it was an interesting comment about flattening and quickening the greens.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 08:42:14 AM »
I could be wrong, but I suspect  that the greens, like greens everywhere, had shrunk over the years, so in his redesigns, simply restored the greens to original size as much as he enlarged them.  The USGA has some pretty stringent guidelines as to how much slope there can be in pin areas and I am sure Rees designed within those.  It wouldn't be surprising if they were flatter than what was out there.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »
Given that Mike Davis says the greens are now at 13+, he didn't leave much leeway for green contours, even if Rees wanted to build some.

At 13+, my kitchen floor has too much contour.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »
Can we all agree now that the greens at Torrey are not flat and faster is funner.

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 08:34:24 AM »
Can we all agree now that the greens at Torrey are not flat and faster is funner.

No and it depends.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »
David,

What about the replay of the putt Tiger made on 11 during the Buick?  The ball broke backwards to the hole.  Have you played Torrey since the redesign and would you like to now just to experience some of what you saw this week?

I don't remember Retief making huge breaking putts at Shinny...Seems like they were all flat 15 footers.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back