News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Hyden

Crazy Architecture
« on: June 07, 2008, 06:17:10 PM »
I daresay if a modern architect designed a hole like the 13th at Forsgate (below) or built another unbelievable green such as the 16th at North Berwick, he'd be roundly criticized for being contrived, causing maintenance nightmares, etc.  Yet we treasure such holes.  What does it take for such features to pass from goofy to classic.

Good Luck!

Bill_McBride

Re: Crazy Architecture
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
A hundred years as at North Berwick?

Great thumbprint at Forsgate!  ;D  My personal favorite is on the 9th green at Mountain Lake.  Don't ask me how I know how easy it is to four putt a green like that from 20 feet!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 08:00:01 PM »
I am not too sure....maybe that picture is just goofy?  How does it play?  I wish that I could try it out...I played several Ken Dye courses out in western USA that had crazy greens...but I guarantee after playing them that they were not classic, just plain old hokey.

Bart

Jim Nugent

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 11:52:06 PM »
How many pinnable positions on that green? 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 10:51:38 AM »
Steve,

Welcome to one of the well known "GCA Hypocrisys".  Shivas has the list somewhere if you want to take a look at it.

I agree.  There is new work out there that is quirky, different, and loads of fun to play but for most part just gets dismissed as "goofy".

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:47:11 PM »
"What does it take for such features to pass from goofy to classic."- Steve Hyden

If you look at the photo and see 'goofy', you'll see 'goofy' in anything that's different.
Time, and the fact that no one has removed it, make it a classic.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Andy Troeger

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 01:54:34 PM »
I am not too sure....maybe that picture is just goofy?  How does it play?  I wish that I could try it out...I played several Ken Dye courses out in western USA that had crazy greens...but I guarantee after playing them that they were not classic, just plain old hokey.

Bart

Bart,
Which ones did you play? I actually really like his greens generally; they are bold and crazy at times but usually good fun. Paa-Ko Ridge is my favorite of the bunch, Pinon Hills probably has the wildest greens, and Dalton Ranch and Painted Dunes have some interesting features as well. I like Dalton as a course better than Painted Dunes, but he had a lot more to work with there as well at least from the scenery department.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back