News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Which is more important for Firm & Fast...
« on: June 07, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
Which is more important for firm and fast conditions...sandy soil or fescue grasses?

- Can sandy soil be made to play firm and fast with bermuda grass?

- Can other soil types be made to play firm and fast with the use of fescue?

John Moore II

Re: Which is more important for Firm & Fast...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 05:56:55 PM »
I think that any type of soil can be made to run mostly firm and fast given a superintendent who knows how to water properly and make use of contours and perhaps topdressing every so often.

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
Which is more important for firm and fast conditions...sandy soil or fescue grasses?

- Can sandy soil be made to play firm and fast with bermuda grass?

- Can other soil types be made to play firm and fast with the use of fescue?

About 3 weeks ago, I played the fastest course I have played in some time, and it it's bermudagrass, without sandy soil. (In fact it and Cottonwood Hills are the only really fast courses I've played since Scotland in 2006)

Ken Kavanaugh's Longbow Golf Club in Mesa on May 17 and 18 was gloriously fast, with firm fairways and greens.

IMHO, the surface least likely to be firm as fast is zoysiagrass, AKA light green Velcro.

Ken
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Michael Dugger

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »
I do believe a large factor in firm and fast is THATCH, and whether it is managed properly or not.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

JESII

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:28:48 PM »
It is my opinion that real true firm and fast is primarily dependent upon a membership willing to commit to it...followed closely by a skilled superintendent capable of implementing it...grasses and soils are, in my opinion, ancillary considerations once #'s 1 and 2 are met.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
Sandy soil is VERY important if the climate is rainy ... you can't firm up a clay-based course after rainy weather.  But if the climate is dry, a la the desert, soils and turf type are less imperative.

Fescue is only important to firm and fast because it is more drought-tolerant and the greenkeeper can be more confident about not watering it without killing the grass.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 11:06:49 PM »
i see.

so are there any great firm and fast courses south of Washington DC?

all the great courses south of Washington DC that i know of don't play that way, #2, augusta, palmetto, peachtree, dunes club, etc...  maybe seminole plays different, i have never played it.

my ultimate question is really, can a firm and fast course be built on the coast of north carolina?

Ed Oden

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 11:26:32 PM »
i see.

so are there any great firm and fast courses south of Washington DC?

all the great courses south of Washington DC that i know of don't play that way, #2, augusta, palmetto, peachtree, dunes club, etc...  maybe seminole plays different, i have never played it.

my ultimate question is really, can a firm and fast course be built on the coast of north carolina?

Chip:

If you ever get to play Yeamans Hall I am confident that you will conclude that the answer to your question is "Yes!"

Ed

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 07:24:26 AM »
Fescue is only important to firm and fast because it is more drought-tolerant and the greenkeeper can be more confident about not watering it without killing the grass.
What you say is correct Tom but I would add that in my experience it is also fescue's fine blade and the fact that it does not have an upright growth but rather lays thus offering less resistance to the roll of the ball that makes for a fast putting surface.

Richard Boult

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 10:16:31 AM »
fwiw, Monarch Dunes near San Luis Obispo plays extremely fast... although the fairways are fescue, the greens are velvet bentgrass. From what I understand, this is the only course west of the Mississippi using velvet bent greens. Enlighten me if there's others.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 10:25:45 AM »
It must be the soil more than the grass by this question because some of the firmest and fastest anywhere in the world, certainly as a collection of courses rather than an individual course, are to be found in the Melbourne Sand Belt (at least before the drought started to bite).

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 11:07:31 AM »
It must be the soil more than the grass by this question because some of the firmest and fastest anywhere in the world, certainly as a collection of courses rather than an individual course, are to be found in the Melbourne Sand Belt (at least before the drought started to bite).

Or maybe the Sandbelt courses don't face the same "always green, always "perfect"" demands that some other courses must endure.

Another way to look at it then, is how many courses would be F&F if it wasn't for people and elaborate irrigation systems?

:)

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
Oh yes I agree with that. I didn't see maintenance in the list and thought we were allowed a choice of two.

But Joe I know for a fact you are right because our super came from Royal Melbourne and has really dried things out.

The best part is he's done this using the ingenious cover story of "budget constraints."

Mark

Greg Chambers

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 11:45:54 AM »
Selection of proper grass types for the soil and climatic conditions, proper water management, member/golfer expectations (playability vs visual perfection) all play into fast and firm.  Too many golfers expect green grass.  Fast and firm can be very difficult to achieve when uneducated golfers expect perfection (lush and green). 
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back