News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Great courses - with few P3's ?
« on: June 06, 2008, 11:46:20 PM »
How many "great" courses out there with 18 holes - have but a few P3's ?

TOC has two close together and Ganton has three - well two and a half depending on how 17 is played  :-\

What other one's are there out there with a small number of P3's in the routing ?

Gerry B

Re: Great courses - with few P3's ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 01:00:38 AM »
Myopia Hunt Club has 3 -all very different and all fantastic

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:41:57 AM »
Kevin,

In Australia the obvious two are Kingston Heath and Commonwealth with three each.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:58:18 AM »
Woodhall Spa has three:
5th, 145 yards (from the back)
8th, 209 yards
12th, 172 yards

Notts (Hollinwell) has three:
5th, 189 yards
9th, 178 yards
13th, 228 yards

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

James Bennett

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 03:02:20 AM »
Kevin,

In Australia the obvious two are Kingston Heath and Commonwealth with three each.

three Michael - Royal Adelaide!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jason McNamara

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:06:30 AM »
OK, so it's a step below great, but Irvine/Bogside (which hosted Open qualifying in '04) has only two par 3 holes... -and- only one par 5.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 06:17:47 AM »
Elie

2 par3s and 16 par4s

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:02:30 AM »
Rich, I was surprised to read that, as I never noticed it at Elie.  Testament to the quality of the course that the lack of variety on the scorecard isn't noticed so much on the course?

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 07:17:00 AM »
James,

Of course. Do you think anybody has ever hit the three greens in a single round when playing off the back tees?
I'm sure they have but its hard to imagine a combination of three holes where hitting all three greens was as demanding.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 07:53:12 AM »
Chris

As you may remember, Elie is full of  3 1/2 and 4 1/2 "par" holes, whose numbers vary depending on the direction and strength of the wind.  It's going to be a blast playing there at BUDA VI next Tuesday.

Rich

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 07:54:12 AM »
Mike
You could reasonably count on hitting the 7th, but the other two, with the winds that are standard for Seaton, who knows? I remember my father telling of a tournament round he played there straight into a westerly gale at no 12 where he needed a drive and a seven iron to reach the green!
Neil

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 09:42:06 AM »
Carnoustie has 3(8,13 and 16).Plantation also has only three.

Jason Connor

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 09:43:54 AM »
May not meet the definition of great, but it by an old dead guy.

Cleveland's Sleepy Hollow (Thompson) has just 3 par 3's.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

D_Malley

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 11:26:23 AM »
also does not meet definition of great. Watergap CC in the Poconos has only two par 3's.  I think they used to play the eastern open, which was considered a tour event at the time.  it is a very fun course to play.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 06:10:11 PM »
Chris

As you may remember, Elie is full of  3 1/2 and 4 1/2 "par" holes, whose numbers vary depending on the direction and strength of the wind.  It's going to be a blast playing there at BUDA VI next Tuesday.

Rich
I've probably played more rounds at Elie than at any other club I've not been a member of.  I've never thought of it as a great course, just a very good one and one I have also enjoyed playing.  It's also the course on which I've played my best competitive round.  However, I always find myself excited at the prospect of playing there and I'm as excited about Tuesday week as about discovering Cruden Bay, which I've  never played and of which I have very high expectations.  I expect Cruden Bay to deliver, based on what I have read. I know Elie will.  I'm beginning to see Elie as rather more than I've seen it as before.  It's 18 holes of greaty fun, tricky but makeable shots, a struggle to lose balls but a struggle to score well.

I'll leave it to BUDA ites but perhaps Elie deserves to be described as great.  It's certainly as much fun as any championship course and, after all, isn't fun what most of us want from our golf?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

mark chalfant

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2008, 01:08:56 AM »
Woodway is a very good  Willie Park course in  Darien, that has only three one shotters.  But many excellent par fours and par fives there.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2008, 08:22:22 AM »
Prestwick has three: 2,5,11
Saunton East has three; 5, 13, 17
Royal Cinque Ports has three; 4, 8, 14
Roma Aquasanta has three: 2, 5, 11

James Bennett

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »
James,

Of course. Do you think anybody has ever hit the three greens in a single round when playing off the back tees?
I'm sure they have but its hard to imagine a combination of three holes where hitting all three greens was as demanding.

Mike (and Neil)

Hitting the 7th green is relatively easy, although leaving the ball below the hole is quite difficult.  That green has quite a bit of slope on it (not sure how many degrees - perhaps 4 or so in parts) that makes for extremely defensive putting if you play to the wrong spot on the green.

The greens on 16 and 12 are smaller than a working man's house block - they would fit right in at Lakeside in LA.  16 must be about 2500 sq feet, and cambered at that!

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back