News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Nugent

Re: Sedona / Phoenix advice needed
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2008, 05:49:40 PM »
That's fine, you're up around 4-5,000 feet so it will be much cooler - maybe 80's.  Very early might even get cool,  Flagstaff's climate is like the upper mid-west's.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 05:50:42 PM »
That's fine, you're up around 4-5,000 feet so it will be much cooler - maybe 80's.  Very early might even get cool,  Flagstaff's climate is like the upper mid-west's.

Gotcha - thanks!

We shall prepare for all eventualities.

TH

Dave Givnish

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2008, 06:21:38 PM »
tom -

Good luck getting an afternoon round in at FH without a thunderstorm coming through.  There's a Marriott at 44th St. and the 202 (by the airport).  You can part just north of the stadium at about 3rd St and Jefferson.  It's a very short walk across to the main gate.

Have fun.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
Dave - gulp!  Thunderstorms are not part of my normal golf thing; I live in the SF Bay Area.  But thanks - we shall be prepared and will allow for more time at the very least.  And thanks also for the hotel/parking tips. 

TH

Tom Yost

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2008, 07:47:22 PM »
Tom,

One other downtown option, there is a fairly new Holiday Inn Express next door to the Arizona Center (shopping/dining) which would be an approx 5 block walk to the ballfield.   Although I haven't stayed at this one, they are typically clean and moderately priced.

Enjoy!

Tom

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 08:17:55 PM »
DISCLAIMER:  This is not a plea for golf course access. 

What is the point given that you have already accessed a top 100 course.  I would have rather you played Whisper Rock as it would have been a more interesting review given I and everyone knows what you will say about F&H..  Does Whisper Rock allow raters?  Don't you feel any obligation to the golfing world to see a course where you might teach us something?

Is there a single course in Arizona that would not allow a Digest rater on during the summer?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2008, 11:49:16 AM »
DISCLAIMER:  This is not a plea for golf course access. 

What is the point given that you have already accessed a top 100 course.  I would have rather you played Whisper Rock as it would have been a more interesting review given I and everyone knows what you will say about F&H..  Does Whisper Rock allow raters?  Don't you feel any obligation to the golfing world to see a course where you might teach us something?

Is there a single course in Arizona that would not allow a Digest rater on during the summer?

The point was this, John:  Forest Highlands seemed to me to be the closest truly great course to where we will be staying.  Forest Highlands is also listed as needing more rater visits in order to qualify for ranking.  I had also already been invited to go to Forest Highlands by a friend, who urged me to see it for many reasons you will never understand.  So that was a done deal.  FH is also apparently a little over 1/2 hr drive from where we will be staying; Whisper Rock and other Scottsdale courses would be two hours away. Time is an issue; I don't want to be gone for the entire day.

Thus I asked for advice on where else to play IF I get to play another round.  Forest Highlands I had already set up.  I put in the disclaimer because well... I just wanted it to be perfectly clear I was not asking for access, as yes, I can handle that myself without general pleas here.  Given the hard feelings about this issue in the past, I thought it couldn't hurt to add.

In any case, I am not going there to do a review; as I never go to any course for the purpose of doing a review.  I am going there to play a course that needs a rating and that I have heard is otherwise great, and that works for me logistically.  I'm sure you find me to be the most selfish bastard in the world, but then again I'm sure I was already, and I can live with the shame.

TH

« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 12:07:29 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 02:04:27 PM »
Huck,

If you have not or will not tell Forrest Highlands that you are a Digest rater I will not post on this site for a month.  I'll take your word for it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 02:08:47 PM »
Huck,

If you have not or will not tell Forrest Highlands that you are a Digest rater I will not post on this site for a month.  I'll take your word for it.

Sorry John, already done.  I arranged to do this via Golf Digest, which was the simplest and most courteous way to make it happen this time.  I thought I made that clear in the last post, though I can see how you'd misunderstand it.  Change the word "already" to "previously" in my first paragraph in the prior post.  Bad word choice by me. 

I would also NEVER want you to stop posting here.

TH
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:11:25 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 02:29:40 PM »
I have to say that I was confused.  I thought Huck had weaseled his way on to Desert Forest which I can't seem to find on the Digest list.  Desert Forest needs raters to right this wrong...not some modern W&M.

Huck,

Why not Desert Forest as everyone knows it is the premire course in the area?  Do you pay zero attention?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »
It just hit me...Huck made the same mistake I did and his "friend" told him to play Desert Forest.  It is easy to get confused with the high ranking of Forest Highlands and Desert Forest no longer being listed.  Have fun Huck, but at least your 9 and 10 year old tag alongs shouldn't care.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »
Barney,

Why the man crush on Tom?  I just don't get it.  Every time he mentions he's going to play somewhere, there you are like a whipped school boy following him around with tongue out, dangling around your ankles.  Have you mentioned this man crush to your shrink because if not, I think you need to...its pretty creepy to a casual bystander like myself.

As for Huck, I know your insanely jealous of him, but the insuation that he's access hounding is laughable at best. He doesn't need no stinking GD rater badge to play where he wants.  Why?  Because he's America's guest and thats the ultimate trump card.  Who knows perhaps you too could even become America's guest personal assistant, and travel where he does and carry his bags. Work on that angle and you've may have some tremendous upside potential in the future.

In the meantime, you gotta put the key-bosh on the man crush because it just isn't healthy!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
LOL

Kalen's right, John - this crush you have on me is getting embarassing. 

As for the rest, Desert Forest is two hours' drive away.  No confusion, no kids for the round at FH.  Reading comprehension is not your strong-suit.  But I guess love makes one blind.

TH
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 02:55:28 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 02:49:42 PM »
Barney,

Why the man crush on Tom?  I just don't get it.  Every time he mentions he's going to play somewhere, there you are like a whipped school boy following him around with tongue out, dangling around your ankles.  Have you mentioned this man crush to your shrink because if not, I think you need to...its pretty creepy to a casual bystander like myself.

As for Huck, I know your insanely jealous of him, but the insuation that he's access hounding is laughable at best. He doesn't need no stinking GD rater badge to play where he wants.  Why?  Because he's America's guest and thats the ultimate trump card.  Who knows perhaps you too could even become America's guest personal assistant, and travel where he does and carry his bags. Work on that angle and you've may have some tremendous upside potential in the future.

In the meantime, you gotta put the key-bosh on the man crush because it just isn't healthy!!

I failed the interview for Hucks personal assistant when I couldn't lift his wifes jock strap.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
Barney,

I failed the interview for Hucks personal assistant when I couldn't lift his wifes jock strap.

You're all class, John.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back