News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Sedona / Phoenix advice needed
« on: June 06, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
DISCLAIMER:  This is not a plea for golf course access. 

I am taking a family trip next month to Sedona, AZ.  I will likely be allowed one morning for sure for golf - and I am making arrangements to do that at Forest Highlands in Flagstaff.  That part is done and a given.  BUT... say I am allowed a late afternoon additional round... it would have to be very close in to Sedona (Los Abrigados Spa/Resport).  Any recommendations?   Any decent courses to play with my brother in law and our two sons, ages 10 and 9?

Secondly, we Dodger fans shall also be taking in a game at Chase Field against the D-Backs.  I need to find a motel near there... ideally where we could walk to the stadium or take a short cab ride.  Or is parking no big deal there?  Any hotel recommendations near there would be great.  Note it just has to be serviceable - we're just there for the one night after the game.  Two families, 6 kids ranging from 2-13 in age.

Thanks!

TH

Andy Troeger

Re: Sedona / Phoenix advice needed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:32 PM »
Tom,
I've not played either one, but Sedona Golf Resort and the other public course in Sedona (Oak something?) both have decent reputations. I don't think either are cheap, but probably more so than most of the courses in your neck of the woods (want to say $80-100). Hopefully someone else knows more than I on those two.

Seven Canyons is awesome, but would likely be very pricey if you could make it happen for the four of you.

I'm not familiar with where the field is, but there seem to be infinite hotels anywhere in Phoenix that would likely be pretty reasonably priced at that time of year. In the winter on the other hand... ::)

Mike Lacey

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 07:39:45 PM »
Tom

There is a Wyndam and a Hyatt downtown that are spitting distance to Chase Field.  Also walkable is the Hotel San Carlos, which is as close to historic as one gets in downtown Phoenix (1928).  There is a decent Hilton at Central and Thomas (~4 miles).  You could all take the bus from there if your crowd is up for an adventure.  You may want to check on some of the resorts for summer deals.  The AZ Biltmore is within 5 miles or so and would likely offer a bit more pre and post ball game options. 

I played Sedona Golf Resort in a scramble several years ago.  Lots of great views.  Golf was somewhat unmemorable. 

Oak Creek is a 1967 vintage RTJones, Sr. course.  Have not played it. 

Lock down your Phx lodging and we will move on to dining.   

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 08:27:11 PM »
If you don't want to stay downtown phx, another decent option might be Mill Ave. in Tempe near ASU. There's a Courtyard Marriott right there and there is walking to food, a little bit of shopping, etc. on Mill.

There's certainly much more going on there than in sleepy downtown PHX.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 10:39:15 PM »
Just play the best courses.  Desert Forest and Whisper Rock are my 2 favorites.  Haven't played the C&C at We-Ko-Pa which I hear is OK.  Of course their is Apache. 

Phil Benedict

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 10:52:06 PM »

BUT... say I am allowed a late afternoon additional round...
Thanks!

TH

What will acheologists from the future conclude about our race if they read this?  Hopefully they will also discover stuff from the greatest generation and conclude that we weren't totally p...whipped!

Richard Boult

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 12:36:45 AM »
Isn't Seven Canyons private (a Weiskopf design)?

I played Sedona Golf Resort last year. I found it pretty challenging. Great views! It was my first time playing in lightning following a huge hailstorm and first time putting on greens filled with hailstones. A bal struck with a firm putt rolls right through it.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 07:14:22 AM »
Tom,
If you don't have much drive time available, Sedona Golf Resort will do you fine.  It is a perfectly good golf course, but the scenery is just off the charts.  You could go to a dozen other places that are better golf, but you'll be in the car awhile.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Troeger

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:20 AM »
Joel,
Haven't played Whisper Rock or Apache but I think given the part of the state where Tom appears to have time to play golf that he is playing the best course--Forest Highlands Canyon. Blows away everything I've played in the valley...not to mention Seven Canyons (which is still VERY good).

In any case in July I'd easy play Seven Canyons, Pine Canyon or ANYTHING in Flagstaff/Sedona vs 100+ degrees in Phoenix! ;)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
Joel,
Haven't played Whisper Rock or Apache but I think given the part of the state where Tom appears to have time to play golf that he is playing the best course--Forest Highlands Canyon. Blows away everything I've played in the valley...not to mention Seven Canyons (which is still VERY good).

In any case in July I'd easy play Seven Canyons, Pine Canyon or ANYTHING in Flagstaff/Sedona vs 100+ degrees in Phoenix! ;)

I played 36 at Whirlwind last Friday (teed off at 12:54).  Golf in Phx in the summer is the BEST.  Ball goes far.  No aches and pains from the sorry Midwest spring.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:38:59 AM »
http://www.hotelsancarlos.com/

I have not been to the San Carlos for some time, but it is still active and seems to have business. I would not expect much, but it is just a few blocks from Chase Field. Parking will cost you, so you might consider staying elsewhere and just getting a taxi.

I agree with the Seven Canyons suggestion. You could always drop in to Encanto Municipal, a somewhat run-down central Phoenix course with evidence of Wm P. Bell. Encanto is quirky and flat, but it has some decent bones every so often. It's cheap at least.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 06:16:48 PM »
I'm astonished, as a Brit to be able to offer advice here.  Parking near the ball park is easy, any decent motel in the Phoenix area will be fine.  Enjoy the game.  Having spent three holidays in Arizona and having been to watch the D-backs three times with my family (well, the kids came the second and third times, it's fair to say my wife isn't a baseball convert) I have to hope you enjoy seeing the Dodgers drop one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 03:01:56 AM by Mark Pearce »
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 01:12:52 AM »
Hucks -

Seven Canyons is right outside of Sedona, but private. That said, they average around 20 a day, so if you got an invite, there would be no one pushing you guys & the kids... The other options, as everyone has said, are Sedona Golf Resort & Oak Creek. Knowing you, Oak Creek would be more enjoyable than the Resort (and probably not as busy...). Check out www.sedonaopen.com for a little info on Oak Creek ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »
Can't help with Sedona golf recommendations.  However I've been to Scottsdale several times and gone to ballgames each trip.  Last year unfortunately had to see the Cardinals lose two games there.

Parking is super-easy and inexpensive ($10 or so) near the ballpark.  No need at all to try to stay downtown unless you just want.  You can park pretty much as close as hotels would be.  Parking east of the park is best.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
Fantastic suff - many thanks, guys.  We're all set to play Forest Highlands for the main round, and I now have many great ideas for if I am allowed to play again.  And Phil, whereas you have me mostly correct, well.. it's a family trip.  Golf for me means leaving my wife with all of the kids.  THus one learns to pick his battles.

;)

IN terms of where to stay near the ballpark, I like that parking isn't a huge big deal, so we have lots of choices there too - many great recommendations here.

Thanks!

David Druzisky

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »
Sounds like a nice time.  You are establishing a pretty high bench mark in playing Forest H first.  After that I would put the sticks in the trunk and go see the sites around Sedona via a Pink Jeep Tour.

Downtown Phoenix will be a bit hot with all the concrete so don't work around walking more than several blocks.  Maybe take advantage of the off season rates at some of the big time resorts or hotels of the area including Scottsdale and just drive down to the game and back.  (There is a fair amount of construction going on downtown for the new light rail system tracks).  A real easy drive to downtown is from the JW Marriott Desert ridge in North Phoenix.  The drive is all freewway and the resort has an outstanding pool, spa, 2 courses, tennis etc.  A lot of shopping in the area too.  It is a little more cumbersome to get downtown from the resorts in North Scottsdale so I would stick with older scottsdale near Fashion Square and the new water district.

DbD

Go D'backs!

DbD

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:21 PM »
David:

Good call re the golf.

Re the downtown hotel, I have to find something as we check out of our Sedona resort on Saturday... we're staying the extra night specifically to see our beloved Dodgers against your first-place D'Backs.  So with that in mind, well.... we do have a lot of Marriott points.  May well just find the closest Marriott and go from there.  But lots of good advice in this thread.

Thanks!

TH

Kalen Braley

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/phxdr-jw-marriott-desert-ridge-resort-and-spa-phoenix/

Thanks, Kalen.  That's a bit on the high end side given we're just gonna need this for a matter of a few hours (check in early pm before game, stay over, head home the next am)... but I shall check it out for sure.

TH

David Druzisky

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 02:27:39 PM »
The Springhill suites downtown would be the closest marriott to the ball park.   8th and Van Buren s that will make a little more than 1/2 mile walk or quick cab.  If your flight out the next day is later am, the family could take a sunrise hike of either Camalback or Piestewa peak.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 02:28:21 PM »
The Springhill suites downtown would be the closest marriott to the ball park.   8th and Van Buren s that will make a little more than 1/2 mile walk or quick cab.  If your flight out the next day is later am, the family could take a sunrise hike of either Camalback or Piestewa peak.

EXCELLENT!

Many thanks, David.

TH

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 04:12:06 PM »

Has Squaw Peak been renamed...?  If so, by whom - and why? 

Sorry to take this off-topic...

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 05:02:09 PM »
Squaw Peak was renamed to honor the first Native American woman casualty in Iraq.

From wikipedia.com:

Lori Ann Piestewa, the first Native American woman to die in combat in the US military.[1] Piestewa was born in Tuba City, Arizona on December 14, 1979. She was killed in Iraq on March 23, 2003, after the convoy in which she was driving was ambushed in Nasiriyah, Iraq.[2] The name change was officially approved at the federal level on April 10, 2008 by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.[3][4]
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Nugent

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 05:32:26 PM »
If you're playing in the Valley in summer, try to get out as early as possible.  Temps are generally below 100 until after lunch. And drink lots of water and wear a wide-brim "Greg Norman" style hat.  I like Forrest's call on Encanto.  It gives one a sense of early golf design in PHX. 
I think Panks did Sedona Golf Resort  (but I could be wrong).  Make sure to check out the Chuch on the Hill  Sedona.  The drive up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff is nice and send the kids on a Pink Jeep Tour.
Coasting is a downhill process

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
If you're playing in the Valley in summer, try to get out as early as possible.  Temps are generally below 100 until after lunch. And drink lots of water and wear a wide-brim "Greg Norman" style hat.  I like Forrest's call on Encanto.  It gives one a sense of early golf design in PHX. 
I think Panks did Sedona Golf Resort  (but I could be wrong).  Make sure to check out the Chuch on the Hill  Sedona.  The drive up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff is nice and send the kids on a Pink Jeep Tour.

Tim - the round at Forest Highlands will be at 12:20 - I figured up high there temps wouldn't be too severe - true?

Any other golf will be played either very early or very late, and will be in or near Sedona.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back