News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

Jackson Hole Golf...
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
Any recommendations for golf in Jackson Hole?  Public or private?

Matt_Ward

Re: Jackson Hole Golf...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
Play Snake River -- just south of town - could be Tom Weiskopf's finest design I have played. Very private but access possible with a bit of pluck and luck.

Avoid 3 Creek Ranch -- samo, samo Rees Jones layout in flat pasture land.

Teton Pines is a solid public option and frankly a good better than RTJ's Jackson Hole.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
My advice was also going to be to try Snake River. I was supposed to play it on a trip last month but the long winter delayed their opening so I missed it. Drove by on the highway and the site looks spectacular.

I wouldn't say to avoid 3 Creek Ranch. The design is nothing of great consequence, but its easily walkable if that's important to you and the surrounding peaks are pretty impressive. There's some good holes, nothing you haven't seen before. Don't make it your first priority of the two courses, but don't pass it up if you get the opportunity either.

Don't know much about the others in the area.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
find another place to play golf, nothing but nothing
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Andy Troeger

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 11:00:26 PM »
Cary,
Have you played Snake River? Just curious if you're including that in your comment, I've heard mainly good comments across the board...

Park City, UT is a much better golf destination though. Its still four hours from Jackson but probably the closest real golf area.

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 12:01:48 AM »
I would leave the clubs at home and bring the 5 weight and take a little trip to the Henry's Fork of the Snake. The golf is middling, but the fishing is sensational. 

Craig Sweet

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:29:09 AM »
I wonder how the fishing is this year? Our rivers in Montana are totally blown out from run off.....no fishing for awhile here....

Heavy snow today....Rock Creek Cattle Co. might get 8-10" of snow today.... :-[
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 09:52:35 AM »
I agree with the sentiment to skip the golf.

Take an easy hike up Death Canyon to Phelps Lake in Grand Teton National Park, or even just drive over the pass into Idaho to see the Teton range from the west. The views are spectacular from Grand Targhee.

For what it's worth, I disagree with Matt Ward's opinion regarding Teton Pines and Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis. Both are overpriced and architecturally mind-numbing. Teton Pines has better conditioning, but the views are 500% better at JH G&T.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »
Cabell A:

Let's be clear shall we.

I never said the golf in the area was something of a "must play" situation -- save for Snake River. Jackson Hole is not a layout I would want to play again since it offers the predictable RTJ formula. Teton Pines is the better alternative but I did place it in context to what the overall area provides.

No doubt you are right about price but that issue is a relative one depending upon one's receptive pockets -- whether they been deep or shallow.

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »
Matt - thanks for the clarification. I knew you weren't praising Teton Pines the first go around. I just disagree that it is a better option than JH G&T. I lived in Jackson (Wilson to be precise) for 3 years, and have played both courses more than I care to remember.  I actually spent a summer working on the maintenance crew at Teton Pines. Both are flat as a pancake, residential courses. Neither offers any type of architecture you couldn't find in Florida. Teton Pines waters 3 times as much as JH G&T, and it shows and plays that way.  Given the option, I'd choose JH G&T for it's relative firmness and closer proximity to nice views of the Tetons.

I moved away before Snake River was built, so I can't comment on it, but it certainly looks interesting.

Richard Boult

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 02:20:42 PM »
I agree with the sentiment to skip the golf.

Take an easy hike up Death Canyon to Phelps Lake in Grand Teton National Park, or even just drive over the pass into Idaho to see the Teton range from the west. The views are spectacular from Grand Targhee.

For what it's worth, I disagree with Matt Ward's opinion regarding Teton Pines and Jackson Hole Golf & Tennis. Both are overpriced and architecturally mind-numbing. Teton Pines has better conditioning, but the views are 500% better at JH G&T.

Best advice so far... Also highly recommend the hike from the campground near Targhee (Idaho side) up to Alaska Basin!  Or just ski Targhee -- first place I ever skied.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back