News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Seth Raynor?
« on: June 05, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »
I am playing Sequoyah CC in Oakland, Ca on Monday and it was listed as designed by Seth Raynor. This is my first experience on a course by him, what design characteristics should I look for?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

Re: Seth Raynor?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 01:29:36 PM »
Tim:

Where are you getting that Sequoyah was designed by Raynor?  I've played it many times, never heard that.  I'm not really doubting that it could be, it's just odd I've never seen the reference.  Course history on their web site doesn't show it either...

http://www.sequoyahcc.com/coursehistory.html

In any case, I think what Raynor was noted for was use of template holes.  You know, a redan, a short, a long, a cape, etc. on most of his courses.  That being said, I don't recall any of these at Sequoyah, although there is a par three that could meet the "short" template.  What IS cool about Sequoyah are these things:

- immaculate conditions throughout;
 - two crossing holes - kinda neat
 - smallish greens, very challenging
 - massive trees befitting the name, very beautiful
  - several very nice scenic views

TH

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:29:46 PM »
At Sequoyah, you'll be looking for something that doesn't exist.

TH - I recollect reading that SR had either been to the property or was thinking about it, and had made suggestions that were not implemented. No evidence existed. I want to say it was buried in the evangelist but not sure and do not have it handy.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 01:40:42 PM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:33:32 PM »
At Sequoyah, I believe you'll be looking for something that doesn't exist. Just some overly optimistic marketing based on an old rumor.

Jon - see my post above.  What surprises me is I've never even heard the marketing!

TH

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:47 PM »
Merion-like features....
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:36:29 PM »
Merion-like features....

You are a bad bad man.

;D

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
The website makes no mention of Raynor, but has this nice tidbit.

http://www.sequoyahcc.com/hogan.html
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:53:02 PM »
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:02:54 PM »
Tim:

Where are you getting that Sequoyah was designed by Raynor?  I've played it many times, never heard that.  I'm not really doubting that it could be, it's just odd I've never seen the reference.  Course history on their web site doesn't show it either...

http://www.sequoyahcc.com/coursehistory.html

In any case, I think what Raynor was noted for was use of template holes.  You know, a redan, a short, a long, a cape, etc. on most of his courses.  That being said, I don't recall any of these at Sequoyah, although there is a par three that could meet the "short" template.  What IS cool about Sequoyah are these things:

- immaculate conditions throughout;
 - two crossing holes - kinda neat
 - smallish greens, very challenging
 - massive trees befitting the name, very beautiful
  - several very nice scenic views

TH

This write up said Raynor:

http://www.golflink.com/golf-courses/course.asp?course=105345
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

David Kelly

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 02:17:08 PM »
The last time I was at Sequoyah you could putt out of most of the bunkers.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 02:25:10 PM »
Tim:

Interesting short summary at that golflink site.  I'm also curious where they got the attribution.  And let's just say it hasn't helped their credibility when they mention the "Sequoyah golf course" at "Sequoyah Country Club" when the place only has one course.   ;)

Maybe Raynor did do some work there... the historians here ought to know.  And it has changed many times over the years.  Hell I don't know.  It just remains weird to me that most other courses tend to advertise the crap out of stuff like this, and Sequoyah CC itself on its own website says nothing, and by my recollection there is no reference to it on the scorecard or any signs or anything....

In any case, one way or the other, it's a pretty damn fine course.  Very tight, very tree-lined, so perhaps not everyone's cup of tea... but lots of fun shots will be faced, for sure.

David - you know you're right - I recall that also - sand goes right up to lips on those bunkers that have such, and many are flat also.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back