News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Hempstead ( Peter Lees) NY
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
 I believe this course was first  routed  by Peter Lees , who  did some signficant contruction work  for  AWT and others. It appears to be a nicely bunkered course from the 1920s. Its only about  6-7 miles from GC Golf Club
any thoughts on this course.

thanks

Phil_the_Author

Re: Hempstead ( Peter Lees) NY
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:24:59 PM »
Mark,

Why do you believe that Lees first routed this course?

mark chalfant

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:14:56 PM »
Philip,

Golf Clubs of the MGA, a book by Bill  Quirin, attributes the course to Peter Lees(1921) and notes that Tillinghast added  7 new holes in 1927. Have you had a chance to play there ?

thanks

Tim McManus

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:51:12 AM »
Mark,

I am a member at hempstead, and you are correct, the course was originally laid out by Lees and added to by Tillinghast.  The club lists both as architects on the scorecard.

It is a fun course, and a great family club.  The 3 par threes each have challenging greens and good distance variety.  The three par 5's are also a nice mix.  There is some repetition among the 12 par 4s, with heavy trees guarding the right side of many, and bunkers more off to the side than strategic.  Thousands of trees make for pleasant viewing, but probably not what was originally intended.  All in all, I enjoy all my rounds there.  The course gets heavy play, but always at a nice pace, and easy to walk.  A lot of nice traditions (including a 4 lane bowling alley in the basement) and friendly and enthusiastic membership - a model country club in many respects.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Tim,

Didn't Stephen kay do some work there in the last few years?

Tim McManus

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:43 PM »
I have only been there a year, but I believe Kay oversaw an extensive bunker renovation two years ago.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back