News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

San Diego Area Private Golf
« on: June 05, 2008, 12:10:48 PM »
I have a friend here in Pensacola who is selling his business and is interested in escaping the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast (go figure  ;D ) and retire to the San Diego area.

He is an avid 8 handicapper and his wife plays frequently as well. 

Are there affordable private club options in the San Diego area?  I guess by "affordable" in that part of the country I wouid be thinking sub-$50K membership.  Thanks for any suggestions that I can pass along before he and his wife head out there this weekend.

David_Tepper

Re: San Diego Area Private Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 12:13:03 PM »
Bill -

Have him check out Pauma Valley!

DT

Tim Leahy

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 01:02:42 PM »
There are quite a few good courses, not great, that fit your friend's request in the San Diego area. In the north SD area I would recommend Bernardo Heights CC, Stoneridge CC, Morgan Run CC, and Vista CC.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
I would second the Pauma recommendation. The only real downside is that it is out in the boondocks; enjoyment would be a function of how much time your friend wants to spend in the car.

Do you have any idea which towns this guy is looking in? It's a large area 8)
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:45:16 PM »
Is he looking for a live/play club?  Does he want to be in the midst of real San Diahhhgo or just in that general vicinity.  Pauma Valley is a great choice for a live/play lifestyle club but as Jon Spaulding said, it's in East Bumblefudge.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
Is he looking for a live/play club?  Does he want to be in the midst of real San Diahhhgo or just in that general vicinity.  Pauma Valley is a great choice for a live/play lifestyle club but as Jon Spaulding said, it's in East Bumblefudge.

I think you go to the East Bumblefudge exit and drive another 20 minutes or so 8). Carl Spackler allegedly has a home there, so you'd have that going for you, which is nice.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:57:34 PM »
If he wants to look as far north as Huntington Beach and Costa Mesa, I hear that Mesa Verde CC is about the best deal in SoCal for an equity club, with current initiation between $35m-$50m, and $700 monthly dues.  It is a Bell Jr. (I think) course, 6,800 yards or so, good topography.  Previously held a professional tournament, possibly an LPGA event.  I haven't played it, but have heard that it's a very good course.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 04:03:42 PM »
Bill,

The CC's fees that I know of, that are actually in San Diego are:

Rancho Santa Fe CC (must live in the Covenent to join) 50K, 250/mo.
San Diego CC 50K, 300/mo.
La Jolla CC 75K, 300/mo.

There are also (all $$$):

Fairbanks Ranch
Del Mar CC
The Farms
La Costa (members alternate each day with resort guests on North ansd South)

We play on Sundays at Sining Hills, which is a 25 minute drive due east from Balboa Park. They have 2 courses which the Members alternate on. 10K for Family 300/mo.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 04:36:28 PM »
The further east you go, the warmer it gets so East Bumblefudge might be more like Penscacola in the summer time, although it is a dry heat, which is nice ...

Coming from Penscacola, how does he feel about traffic? 

How about Orange County?  Mission Viejo is reasonable and gets nice cool ocean breezes ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Golden

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 04:50:22 PM »
I have a friend here in Pensacola who is selling his business and is interested in escaping the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast (go figure  ;D ) and retire to the San Diego area.

He is an avid 8 handicapper and his wife plays frequently as well. 

Are there affordable private club options in the San Diego area?  I guess by "affordable" in that part of the country I wouid be thinking sub-$50K membership.  Thanks for any suggestions that I can pass along before he and his wife head out there this weekend.

If that's Joe you are describing that will remove about 50% of the Pensacola economy in one fell swoop ;D

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:59:30 PM »
The further east you go, the warmer it gets so East Bumblefudge might be more like Penscacola in the summer time, although it is a dry heat, which is nice ...

Coming from Penscacola, how does he feel about traffic? 

How about Orange County?  Mission Viejo is reasonable and gets nice cool ocean breezes ...

No, no, no..... OC all full at the moment, and the courses stink. Mission Viejo is a soul-less purgatory between yuppie heaven and hell.

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 06:00:58 PM »
Jon -

I expected you to say that but from what I have seen, retirees that want to golf don't retire in San Diego. 

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 06:37:29 PM »
Singing Hills looks like it might work.  I passed it along to my buddy, along with Pauma Valley.  He'll be out there this weekend looking things over.

David Kelly

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
To me the best of the courses mentioned by far is San Diego CC which is a Billy Bell design from the mid-20s. Very walkable and fun as well as a tough test at over 7000 yds.

http://www.sandiegocountryclub.org/
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

rjsimper

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:21:13 PM »
Only problem with SDCC is that it's in North Tijuana...aka Chula Vista...of course this is no less remote than Pauma is.  Haven't played it but I've heard decent reviews.

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 09:39:04 PM »
Pauma Valley is the best value by far. SDCC has gotten a bit expensive, (Over $50K I think), and if he lives in North County, it's a long jaunt. Full membership at PV is about $20K with $695 monthly. CC of Rancho Bernardo may be an option. LJCC, RSFGC are very expensive.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 01:22:01 AM »
Bill,

The CC's fees that I know of, that are actually in San Diego are:

Rancho Santa Fe CC (must live in the Covenent to join) 50K, 250/mo.
San Diego CC 50K, 300/mo.
La Jolla CC 75K, 300/mo.

Pete, my understanding is that LJCC was at $135k five or more years ago. I'm not sure about the others.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 09:01:28 AM »
Jon -

I expected you to say that but from what I have seen, retirees that want to golf don't retire in San Diego. 

Mike

I wouldn't retire to San Diego, save a cozy little cabana in the covenant....sure, the membership might be less than $100K, and you might see Phil or Lovemark....or 600 other members, but "tear down" candidates in the covenant were $2-3M the last time I asked.

I've not played LJCC so cannot comment. But I "could" probably figure out an acceptable arrangement to retire there. ;)

Did you expect me to ask people to stay out of OC, that the courses stink, or both?

fred ruttenberg

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »
Santa Luz is a golf club community.  Excellent Reese Jones Course in a high end community.

David Druzisky

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
Okay...this could be a fun challenge.

What is more important, the beach, or golf?

Make sure he understands that as soon as you go east of I-5 the temperatures start going up..and up.  And then there is the fire potential.

I think it would be difficult to determine where to balance golf with house there, even if I had all the money in the world.

It may be best to just find the house (or location of house and tear the old one down for a new one) and then do the country club for a day thing throughout the area.  There just are not many privates there I would be really interested in playing all the time.  With gas prices and the traffic going up and down the coast I would want to be near the club.   But if it is just a social thing, then it may be a lot easier.

I personally love the Cardiff by the Sea area.

But, if I did have all the money in the world, I would probably end up in Santa Barbara.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 05:04:15 PM »
Santa Luz is a golf club community.  Excellent Reese Jones Course in a high end community.

I trust that that this is some form of dry humor.......

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 05:09:11 PM »
I don't how affordable this residential one is but it sure looks nice:

www.thecrosbyclub.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 05:23:17 PM »

www.thecrosbyclub.com

Dave Stamm to the white courtesy phone....

I was dragged out there kicking and screaming 2 years ago; housing was $400-$500 per square foot. Not too bad considering the neighboring Covenant prices, but about 10 degrees warmer and quite a haul to get milk at the grocery store. The course looked hideous but I did not play it. The guy being paged above has.

David Stamm

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 05:31:44 PM »

www.thecrosbyclub.com

Dave Stamm to the white courtesy phone....

I was dragged out there kicking and screaming 2 years ago; housing was $400-$500 per square foot. Not too bad considering the neighboring Covenant prices, but about 10 degrees warmer and quite a haul to get milk at the grocery store. The course looked hideous but I did not play it. The guy being paged above has.

The course is probably a better effort than The Bridges up the road, but overall it was just "okay". I've seen better work from Curley. The greens are over the top in terms of contouring and look unatural for their surrounds. And it does not lend itself to walking. It's always in good shape, but RSFGC is a better course. Last time I heard memberships were in the $125-$150K range. The club has gone into receivership a couple of times since being built and as of a couple of years ago, they just couldn't get more than 115-120 total memberships out there. 275 I believe was the number they needed to break even. There are better options, although not many, in SD. I'll say it again, Pauma is by far the best deal in town, if the drive doesn't matter.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
Doesn't the Crosby have a sufficient number of waterscapes? I drove in there and thought we were at Raging Waters until we were attacked by one of the realtors.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back