News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

D_Malley

golf courses in Costa Rica
« on: February 22, 2007, 11:28:44 AM »
this seems to be an untapped market, in a country with some great sites.  They currently have very few notable courses. Good economy, with alot resorts under construction.  are there any decent courses down there now?  Any projects in the works? May plan a trip in the comming year or two.  thanks in advance for any info.

Bill_McBride

Re:golf courses in Costa Rica
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 11:35:23 AM »
this seems to be an untapped market, in a country with some great sites.  They currently have very few notable courses. Good economy, with alot resorts under construction.  are there any decent courses down there now?  Any projects in the works? May plan a trip in the comming year or two.  thanks in advance for any info.

Find a post by Mike Young here on GCA.com and get in touch.  Mike is an Athens, Georgia based GCA who has designed courses in Costa Rica.

Or log on to his website, www.mydgolf.com

Ray Tennenbaum

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 11:46:14 AM »
Los Suenos has a very nice course, typical resort which might remind you of a good-not-great Hawaiian course.  Likewise Playa Conchal, a Trent Jones, Jr.

Cariari CC, an old George Fazio design, is pleasant but feels a little cramped -- definitely a Central American semi-urban feel.  

Hacienda Pinilla is a little strange -- a gigantic upscale development that looked 98% unsold a few years when I was there.  The course is quite pretty -- almost monotonously open, probably thanks to the extreme wind conditions -- but again, a solid resort course.  It's in a rather isolated area; the (Pacific) beach there is spectacularly beautiful.  I'd be interested to see how the resort has come along -- I was there about 3-4 years ago.  

CR is breathtakingly pretty, and the folks there as hospitable as can be.  I might not plan a golf trip there; it's probably more of a "why not take the sticks?" destination.

BCrosby

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
The Hacienda Pinillia course is by Mike Young. I like it very much. It's big and open and fun to play.

I haven't been there for 4 or 5 years either. I understand the resort is built (Four Seasons, I think) and that most of the home sites have been bought.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 12:24:26 PM »
I second Bill and Bob on contacting Mike Young. He is a great guy and knows the country well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
I am just returning from Costa Rica where we are looking at a potential project.

The only course I saw this trip was the Peninsula Papagayo course at the Four Seasons Hotel.  The land along the Pacific coast there is extremely dramatic ... the clubhouse and many holes in the middle of the peninsula are 300+ foot elevation, while a couple of holes get down near beach level, making it a dramatic and quite difficult course just to drive the cart around.  (It would take seven hours to walk 18 holes.)

Hard to know what to think of the golf course, really. The individual holes weren't bad at all, mostly very playable although there are a couple of tight ones with no place to miss.

D_Malley

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
sounds like there are very few golf courses, and this country would be the perfect place for a Bardougle type of project.  Glad to hear TD is looking at a piece of property. it sounds like the coastline has some great potential linksland.  interested to hear more about potential projects on the drawing board.

Mike_Young

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 06:35:18 PM »
Los Suenos has a very nice course, typical resort which might remind you of a good-not-great Hawaiian course.  Likewise Playa Conchal, a Trent Jones, Jr.

Cariari CC, an old George Fazio design, is pleasant but feels a little cramped -- definitely a Central American semi-urban feel.  

Hacienda Pinilla is a little strange -- a gigantic upscale development that looked 98% unsold a few years when I was there.  The course is quite pretty -- almost monotonously open, probably thanks to the extreme wind conditions -- but again, a solid resort course.  It's in a rather isolated area; the (Pacific) beach there is spectacularly beautiful.  I'd be interested to see how the resort has come along -- I was there about 3-4 years ago.  

CR is breathtakingly pretty, and the folks there as hospitable as can be.  I might not plan a golf trip there; it's probably more of a "why not take the sticks?" destination.

Hacienda Pinlla is the largest resort property in Costa rica at this time.  It is 4800 acres with 4 miles of beach.  check the website  www.haciendapinilla.com and it will tell you more.  A new JW Marriott is under construction with 310 rooms and a 48000 sq ft spa.  The beachfront has six major hotel sites and 3 more of those are in the works as we speak.
We have one 18 hole course there which is windswept and 7400 back to 6200 members.....we are starting another either late this year or early next year.
The site was good for golf because it was once ranch land so we are wide open with large fairways, wind and slight elevation changes.  I have seen several other sites down there where golf was not meant to be and I don't know how some of it will turn out....most of te people coming to CR don't come for golf and it is not the perfect climate for golf either.....so I don't know how it will progress.
If enough of you guys ever care to make a trip down...I will work on something for an outing etc.

We just began a course on the beach in Nicaragua  also and it(the country) may be as pretty or better than CR.  Nice place.
Mike
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 06:42:47 PM by Mike_Young »
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2007, 10:04:21 AM »
Mike, Bob and others who have been to Costa Rica.

I'm planning (a bit late) for a spring break (early April) vacation with my fiance and our 16 YO daughter and she just now mentioned Costa Rica as an option.  

Could I get some recommendations where their prime concern is nice accommodations near the Pacific, great beaches, things to do including Spa (  ::) ) and I get to play a round of golf. I think the less like a "big- hotel" while retaining amenities the better (for them).

Thanks

D_Malley

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2007, 10:43:10 AM »
mike
sounds like you have done the best work yet in this country.  have you seen any land that looks real good for golf.  either linksland or not?

TD
what potential does the project you recently looked at have?  how does it compare to the other course you saw when you were down there?

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2007, 12:21:51 PM »
Mike, Bob and others who have been to Costa Rica.

I'm planning (a bit late) for a spring break (early April) vacation with my fiance and our 16 YO daughter and she just now mentioned Costa Rica as an option.  

Could I get some recommendations where their prime concern is nice accommodations near the Pacific, great beaches, things to do including Spa (  ::) ) and I get to play a round of golf. I think the less like a "big- hotel" while retaining amenities the better (for them).

Thanks

I sent you an IM...just call me.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Rick Sides

Re: golf courses in Costa Rica
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 10:09:27 AM »

Mike Young:

Thanks for the help. I will check that course out Mike.  Mike we are staying at the four seasons Papagayo where the Palmer course is located.  Do you know if that course is pretty nice? Any non golfing fun things to do in Costa Rica?

Jeff_Stettner

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
Rick,
The four Seasons is a spectacular resort and the golf course has some of the most dramatic holes and views you will find, which is good because it lacks in the strategy department. Conditions should be ideal and you will want to take bountiful pictures. Hacienda Pinilla is a much more thought-provoking course that is designed to play firm and fast. Mike did a great job on the course.

On a side note, Costa Rica is a wonderful country. The Four Seasons has enough going on that it would be easy to never leave the property. I would encourage you to explore some of the local scene if you weren't planning on doing so.

paul cowley

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »
I've been to a site a few times of late.....southern Guanacaste region, near Samara and Punta Islita....very remote...dirt roads and dirt landing strips.

The owner wants 18 holes and I'm trying to convince him to just build 9 with fun tee and fairway options, and use the other area for artificial ski slopes ;)....or just leave it alone.

I was there a few weeks ago, eating in their open air palapa, when a spotted skunk ambled under my table and out again.

The server said its not a problem.....until he stepped on the skunks tail 10 minutes later....who then sprayed the restaurant, and emptied it for the most part.

One guy was running around in circles, hyperventilating like he was breathing mustard gas!
It was interesting to watch....the women were generally less offended than the men.

You know you are in Eco Oz when free range skunks roam the cantinas!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back