News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Del Paso ( Phillips) Sacramento
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
This course ,with  a stream  in play, was recently  renovated. Has anyone played Del Paso  before  and after ?   What  are some of the most memorable  holes ?

thanks

Jed Peters

Re: Del Paso ( Phillips) Sacramento
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 10:27:21 PM »
Mark:

I haven't, although have spent some time talking to Kyle and Mark Thawley (from his team) about the work they did there.

I'm very interested in seeing the work done there. I think I'd like to go out and play it.

I have unlimited reciprocal access (they played at our club during the renovation) so if anyone wants to do a tour with me, let me know...

John Sheehan

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 03:09:16 AM »
Mark:

I haven't, although have spent some time talking to Kyle and Mark Thawley (from his team) about the work they did there.

I'm very interested in seeing the work done there. I think I'd like to go out and play it.

I have unlimited reciprocal access (they played at our club during the renovation) so if anyone wants to do a tour with me, let me know...

Jed,
I'd be interested.  Let me know when you are planning on going.
Thanks,
John
PS. Good to meet you at your club.  Thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 08:14:04 AM »
There was a very positive (and lengthy) article on the Kyle Phillips re-do of Del Paso a year or so ago in Golf World magazine. If you search the magazine's website, you might be able to find the article.

The article was in the September 14, 2007 issue of Golf World.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 08:23:15 AM by David_Tepper »

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 10:21:36 AM »
Del Paso recently hosted a US Open Local Qualifier and was positively received by every one I know who was there.  Our staff guy who ran the qualifier really liked it.

Here is a link to the results from that day:

http://www.ncga.org/rules-competitions/us-open-local-qualifying-del-paso/

Jed Peters

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:13 AM »

Jed,
Thanks,
John

Will do, John.

When can we expect a write-up/commentary re: your thoughts on the course?

John Sheehan

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 02:00:52 PM »

Jed,
Thanks,
John

Will do, John.

When can we expect a write-up/commentary re: your thoughts on the course?

Not sure, due to some unforeseen scheduling conflicts, I was not able to get pictures of the course.  We are going to go back up within the next couple of weeks to do that. 

My review will be very positive.  The course is fun, challenging, strategic and maintained beautifully (hard & fast too).  The green sites and surrounds were terrific.  Many of the par 4's and 5's stick out in my mind as being memorable.  It is going to be difficult to trim the list down for the review. I can understand why they switched the nines, but I like it better with the current number 10 as the starting hole.  I like the way it "eases" the golfer into the wilder aspects of the topography.  Starting on the current number 1 drops you immediately into it.  I told a friend that staring out at the first fairway was like watching the surface of the sea right before a big storm is going to hit - wild undulations, and right where you might expect a white-cap or a breaker, there was a fairway bunker.  Just beautiful and scary at the same time.  Phillips' use of contours is, in my mind, just brilliant. We really enjoyed playing the course, so many good holes.  I can't imagine ever getting bored playing your course. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 02:05:59 PM »
Jed, I would be interested in joining you at Del Paso also, I played the course before it was renovated and couldn't believe that they were able to stretch it out on the land they had to work with.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 02:32:04 PM »
Jed,
I'd like to go as well, if possible. Just about any Tuesday, Thursday or weekend would work for me.

Appreciatively,
Kyle
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back