News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Birmingham public golf
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:48:22 AM »
I'm going to be in Birmingham, AL for a few days next week; any recommendations on good public golf courses?  My schedule is indeterminate, based on my son's baseball tournament.  PLEASE don't bother telling me about any private clubs that are great golf courses; I won't be on them.  I need a walk-up public facility in metro Birmingham.

Thanks in advance.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Goodman

Re: Birmingham public golf
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »
A.G. -

My favorite publics in the Birmingham area are Limestone Springs (Pate, in Oneonta, about 40 minutes from town), Timberline (Pate, about 30 minutes south on I-65), Ballantrae (Cupp, also south of town about 30 minutes) and Farm Links (Hurdzan/Fry, in Sylacauga, about 45 minutes south off of U.S. 280).  Gil Hanse's Capstone Club is an interesting course and worth seeing also (it's about 45 minutes from town, off of I-59 toward Tuscaloosa), but they have historically had maintenance problems over there.  There are three Trail courses here, including the one at Ross Bridge where they now play a Champions tour event, but they are not my favorites, and I would recommend any of the above before them.  Depending on where you're staying and what time you have available, though, they may be your best option.

Depending on the day(s) you have available, and if you're looking for company, I'd be happy to take you out to Greystone GC, or there might be other private options if you're interested.  Or I'd be happpy to play with you at one of the publics.  Feel free to let me know here or IM me.

John

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 11:25:15 AM »
John,
Those are kind offers, but I probably won't know enough soon enough about the schedule.  I know I get there on the afternoon of the 11th, leave on Sunday the 15th, and am staying at a Best Western on State Farm Parkway, wherever that is.  It is entirely possible that I won't have a chance to play at all, but I wanted to be ready if there was a day when they don't play until mid-afternoon or something like that.

Do you know of anything with less of a drive time from where I am staying?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Goodman

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
That's over off of I-65, maybe fifteen minutes south of the city.

The closest public courses from there are the RTJ Trail courses, Oxmoor Valley (Ridge, Valley and Short) and Ross Bridge.  They are within ten minutes of your motel.  Of those I suppose I'd suggest the Ridge, followed by Ross Bridge.  You are probably 30 minutes from anything else public of note (though you are on the right side of town to get to Timberline and Ballantrae).

IM me if you end up with some time and want company on the golf course, or if you need restaurant recommendations.  I assume your son's tournament is at what they used to call the Hoover Met?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
That is very good news on the RTJ Trail courses being so close by.  It may well be that crack of dawn play one day there will be my best shot; I won't know that until well into next week.

As to where the baseball tournament is, I have no idea.  The title of the tournament is "Southern Prospects World Wood Bat Championship".  It is a huge HS varsity tournament, so the stadium at Hoover may well be involved, but it is probably being played at a bunch of different sites around the area.  These big tournaments typically rent HS fields for the week, and your team could be playing anywhere!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back