News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Wagner

USGA Museum reopens
« on: June 02, 2008, 06:24:34 PM »
Hmm, slight typo in the below paragraph.
- Peter

FAR HILLS, N.J. (AP)—A museum aspiring to be “the Cooperstown of golf” reopens Tuesday after a nearly $20 million expansion.

The USGA Museum has spent the past three years designing ways to chronicle the rise of golf in the United States and the people who made it famous, from Francis Ouimet and Booby Jones to Ben Hogan and Babe Didrikson Zaharias. And of course, it features more recent golfers recognized by their first names—people such as Arnie, Jack, Annika and Tiger.

< more >

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-usgamuseum&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dan Herrmann

Re: USGA Museum reopens
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 07:26:17 PM »
It'll definitely be on my ageda this summer.   

Peter Wagner

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
It'll definitely be on my ageda this summer.   

Dan, yep and the new putting green out back should be ready then.
- Peter

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:48:53 PM »
I think we should all be very supportive of Rand Jerris and the USGA in this important effort and I'm hopeful that a thriving, vibrant, dynamic, educational, and even sometimes contentious and intellectually challenging architectural archive is a significant part of that effort going forward.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 11:10:09 AM »
Let me second Mike's comments.

Rand Jerris is the hero here. He brought the project in early and under budget.

There is nothing like it in the world of golf. The new Palmer Center will be THE repository for the history of the game and, hopefully, the history of golf architecture.

Congratulations to Rand, Nancy Stulak and the many others at the USGA that made this happen. Great work. We are in your debt.

Bob 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:59:48 PM »
Thank gawd they didn't move to the Russian Tea Room.

This is a fantastic event for golf, and I too applaud the USGA for their success and dedication to the game.

We all complain about the ball and equipment, and it's only right to give kudos to the USGA when they get it right.

BTW - I can't wait to see that green!   I swear that Gil can build greens that break uphill.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
Interesting event today with the weather cooperating and a good turnout on hand at Golf House.

Arnold Palmer during his media interview said something rather
interesting -- the first congratulatory call he received after winning the BO at Birkdale in 1961 came from Walter Hagen and it was Hagen himself who asked Palmer to serve as a pallbearer at his funeral. It seems the two had a very close relationship. Fascinating little tidbit indeed.

Peter Wagner

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:40:39 PM »
This is absolutely a wonderful thing for our sport!  I'm glad the event went and check out Arnie!  He's going to be an ambassador of golf until the end I think.  Love it!
- Peter

TEPaul

Re: USGA Museum reopens New
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 08:57:51 PM »
Dan:

Hanse's 16,000+ sf putting green behind Golf House will be opened in September.

It was a wonderful evening yesterday at Golf House and today up there and there's a ton of great stuff to the new Palmer Center.

The Palmer Center opening ceremony this afternoon was terrific with a number of heart-felt speeches but none topped Arnie when he got up and gave his at the end. His speech was so...well, just so Arnie---down to earth. He said it pretty much tops all the awards and things done for him in his life and career and in the end you could see he was struggling to keep it together. Really touching stuff.

The Museum is excellent and Rand was explaining that the theme of the museum has shifted from basically being about the history of golf's balls and implements (The old "collectibles") to being much more about the people themselves who have made up the history of American golf.

But the thing that really blew all of us away was this artist rendering of Arnold Palmer as soon as you enter the first room on the right once you come in the door of Golf House (I guess its the Arnie room).

The rendering of Palmer when you first look at it appears to be a black ink on white depiction of Arnie from about shoulder up with that sort of determined, pensive look on his face perhaps in the heat of competition we all recognize so well as "Arnie".

When I first saw it Rand Jerris himself was explaining it to a group of visitors. Below it is an interactive sound and touch-screen mechanism to bring up the rendering on the wall above it, and enlarge it and manipulate it around any way you want to.

It took me maybe five minute to actually figure out what it really was. And just as I was figuring it out the artist and his wife showed up---James Garrett Chase---a communications professor in Northern California, who is some kinda nice man who always just loved Arnold Palmer.

At first glance, what it looks like it's vaguely fuzzy black ink lines, thousands of them depicting his face, shirt, hair etc. But when you touch the screen that depicts it below the art work and you really enlarge it you realize the lines that make up the depiction are actually miniscule text that essentially tracks Arnold Palmer's entire life----all the way from things he remembered that his mother told him to all the memorable things from golf and throughout his entire life, even including some scoring totals.

Apparently the idea to do this in this way hit artist James Chase in the middle of the night fifteen years ago and it took him fourteen years to do this piece of art. He even explained how he had to arrange the various text in ways that played into the tonality of the expression, facial lines and even Arnie's hair. The entire thing is made up of text so small the naked eye can't possiblly make it out---eg to read it you have to massively enlarge it on the interactive mechanism below it.

James Chase even explained that to do text that small he had to train himself to just lightly touch the paper with ink with the narrowest pen in existence BETWEEN heartbeats.

I bet even with this explanation you still can't figure out what it really is. James Chase said when he presented the whole idea to Palmer about fourteen years ago with the idea of the artistic facial and such lines being miniscule text it took Arnie maybe and hour to figure out what it was going to be and when he finally did figure it out Arnie said: "That just may be the most remarkable thing I've ever heard of in my life."

It just might be.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:45:48 PM by TEPaul »

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 09:08:26 PM »
TE -

Thank you.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back