News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Clark

Re: One round in Traverse City area - where to play?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 11:33:28 PM »
Continued thanks to all the suggestions.  JC your idea sounds like a good one.  Arcadia Wed. afternoon and Kingsley Thur. morning.  Flight and weather would have to be accomodating however.  Good to see that there is a split of opinion on which to play if only 1 round can be got in.  Both obviously are winners.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2008, 09:14:14 AM »
Doug,

I think Rees Jones has nothing to do with not mentioning Black Lake.  I would think the over 2 hour drive time from Traverse City to Onaway, MI would be the reason not to mention it!! ;)

Chris

Hmmm;

When I looked at the map again, I found myself surprised. There are so many high quality courses in so small an area in N MI that I didn't quite realize how out of the way Onway would be. Gaylord is actually about the centerpoint, isn't it?

And poor Marquette. Can't get there from here.

Doug

Brian Cenci

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2008, 12:36:09 PM »
  I was able to get them to drive a bit to Roscommon on this go round so we are playing Forest Dunes. 

Greg:

I took the guys up to Michigan last year for our annual golf marathon.  In addition to The Kingsley Club and Arcadia Bluffs, we played 63 holes at Forest Dunes and stayed on site in a lake cabin which was perfect.  What a place.  You will love the greens.  More than once I've read Tom Doak mention that Weiskopf builds flat greens, which may be the case.  But golligee the greens at Forest Dunes are the slickest, truest, most beautiful greens I've ever putted on. Their super is super. I can recall a number of long distance bombs rolled in by myself as well as my playing partners.  Now that's fun to me.

The 10th hole was my favorite as it sets you up for quite a different look and feel on the back nine compared to the front.

Bonus: We unanimously nominated their cheeseburger for the golf trip hall of fame! 

Enjoy your trip. 

Eric,
      Just played Forest Dunes on Sunday.  Greens were not as slick as normal.  They haven't healed completely from aerification earlier this year and they didn't have their usuall zip to them that I am accustomed to.  In years past I would say there aren't better greens to putt on in all of Michigan (public or private).
     Regarding the food, it is awesome.  I recommend the club or chicken wrap also.

-Brian

Brian Cenci

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2008, 12:39:53 PM »
If one only wants to play in the general Traverse City area and only public courses, I would recommend the following:

High Pointe GC, Williamsburg, MI (approx. 10 miles from TC)
The Leelanau Club Suttons Bay, MI (approx. 20 miles from TC)
Champion Hill GC Beulah, MI (approx. 30 miles from TC)

Chris

Chris,
     Having grown up in Lake Ann (1/2 way between Traverse City and Frankfort)  for 18 years it's nice to see someone mention Champion Hills.  It was developed and designed by Lee Stone, who owns Pinecroft about 2 miles away.  A very good course and I still think it is one of the most underated gems in the area.  It is very playable but has a nice "links" feel to it.  I would also add to your list Mistwood, which I grew up playing, as a pretty nice course as well.  Greens there are usually in great shape too.

-Brian

Brian Cenci

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2008, 12:42:56 PM »
Greg:

High Pointe to Treetops is about an hour and fifteen minutes, in the other direction from Arcadia Bluffs.

I am still fond of my first born, even though its condition has really suffered through the years -- they've had about 10 head pros and 10 superintendents in 21 years of operation!  They don't ask my input much, and it's hard to go out there sometimes and see what new little thing they've done differently.  It could use a good restoration, if only we knew more of the designer's original intent.  ;)  But it's still pretty fun to play, and it's still one of the best sets of greens I've ever built.

Black Forest is a very difficult course, per the client's request, but I think I overdid it ... it was a beautiful, wooded property, and if we'd just backed off a bit on the greens (small and severe), I think it would still be considered one of my half-dozen best courses.  The first five holes are a brutal start and frustrate many golfers so thoroughly that they fail to make up for it in the rest of the course, which in fact offers many birdie opportunities.  My advice would be to play the par fives conservatively, accept a couple of bogies or even a double at the start, and enjoy the seclusion of northern Michigan.

Tom,
     Funny to here you say that about Black Forest being difficult.  I do think there are a few holes that are pretty tough (that one long par 3 on the back comes to mind).  But, in your opinion don't you think they temper the difficulty of the greens pretty well by keeping them a little on the slow side.  I would think the course would be almost unplayable if the greens were consistently at an 11 or so.
     Another thing, why did the owners want a hard course for that area?

-Brian

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Greg, If you want to play Kingsley it won't be a problem. If you do need a member referal, message me and I will let them know to give you (and the rest of your group?) access.
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2008, 08:48:15 PM »
Greg, If you want to play Kingsley it won't be a problem. If you do need a member referal, message me and I will let them know to give you (and the rest of your group?) access.

Adding to Ralph's post, it's possible to stay in the Kingsley Club's outstanding four bedroom cottages if there is availability.  It's a cool place to stay, right by the 18th tee.  It's a pretty good hike into Traverse City for dinner, a designated driver might be a good idea!

Mike_Young

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
It's really not a bad trip to go up the road to Charlevoix and play Belvedere......but as stated there are many choices....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

George Freeman

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:22 PM »
I second the idea of playing Arcadia in the afternoon, and Kingsley the next morning.  As far as "accessible" courses around TC, it would be hard to beat that combo...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Jim Thompson

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »
Played Lochenheath over the holiday and it was a treat!  As for dinner or pubbing, the Trattoria Stella in TC is a must for finer dining, if pubbing swing by the U&I for a gyro and a frosty, and for a little adventure head up to Pearl's in Elk Rapids (10 minutes) for some fine Cajun eats!

Cheers!

JT
Jim Thompson

Jim Nugent

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 01:47:33 AM »

Black Forest is a very difficult course, per the client's request, but I think I overdid it ... it was a beautiful, wooded property, and if we'd just backed off a bit on the greens (small and severe), I think it would still be considered one of my half-dozen best courses. 

Pacific Dunes, Ballyneal, Barnbougle, Cape Kidnappers, Renaissance Club, Rock Creek, Sebonack: BF would have to take the place of at least two of these, and maybe some others as well.  I'm wondering which ones? 

Will E

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 07:54:56 AM »
Jim-
I'm a big fan of Black Forest, the fact that it doesn't get more attention is strange.
It's not even close to being as difficult as many top rated courses, and IMHO is one of the most enjoyable places I've ever played.
Next week is the State Open at the Bear, after my tee time on Tuesday I'll probably head over for an afternoon round.
It's that good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back