News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

That's the description of a long, uphill par-5 at a well-regarded modern course in the Midwest.

Not *my* description. That's the *course's* description -- at its very own Web site! -- of a hole named "Big Hog." Named, not nicknamed.

I liked the hole, and would like to play it again. (Perhaps I'm a masochist?)

But I wonder, idly: Are there any holes you cannot wait to finish so that you don't have to play them again on courses that you are sorry to finish because you cannot wait to play them again?

I can't think of one, personally.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John Kavanaugh

I would say that Cuscowilla has that exact par 5 near the end of the round.

Stan Dodd

#15 at Cruden Bay.  Garbage on an otherwise great course.

John Moore II

16 and 17 at Tobacco Road. The course is great, but those two holes are simply weak, and IMHO, may be why the course is not ranked higher by the major publications.

Chris_Clouser

Dan,

I would say the 13th at Purgatory here in my home town.  It is just a long slog until you hit your approach to a really nice green.  I've only played 36 on the course once in a day and the second time around I did skip it.  Just didn't see the point in playing it again.  It also makes for a nice hole to get around slower groups in front of you.  

Jay Kirkpatrick

#9 at Caledonia comes to mind.

Patrick Glynn

14 at Bandon Trails & 8 at Royal Portrush for me.

Bill_McBride

#9 at Caledonia comes to mind.

What if it played the other way around so you didn't have to walk so far in the wrong direction?  ???  And get at that soup faster?

Bob_Huntley

The 18th at Southern Highlands.

Bob

Larry_Keltto

Dan, as I read your subject line, I immediately thought of the hole you're describing. "Slog" is what my friends and I call it.

The course's Web site fails to say that the hole plays into the prevailing wind.

Brent Hutto

I'd say any hole on which I've already taken six strokes and still don't have a putter in my hand falls into that category.

But then by the time I've had lunch and a cold beverage in the clubhouse I'll have decided I need another crack at the same hole tomorrow. Or maybe today, anybody up for 36?

Bill_McBride

Can't agree with you on this one, the approach shot is one of the most interesting shots on the golf course.  The tee shot is pretty mundane but the second shot is a true puckerer.

John Kavanaugh

Can't agree with you on this one, the approach shot is one of the most interesting shots on the golf course.  The tee shot is pretty mundane but the second shot is a true puckerer.

It is not so much a poor hole as an ass dragger.

BCrosby

Agreed Bill. I didn't like it at first. But I've played it about 25 times since. I now can't wait to play it. 

Bill_McBride

Funny but I have so much fun playing #14 that I find #15 to be a bit of a letdown.

Kalen Braley

Tilden Park #1

Long, straight up the hill, tree lined, just trying to avoid a big number out of the box...tough golf hole.

Bill_McBride

Kalen, in the old days when I played Tilden, #1 was a par 5.  Now it's a par 4, right?  I don't think they changed the hole, just the scorecard.

Don't you just hate it when they do that?

BCrosby

Bill - Point taken. The 14th might be the best bunkerless par 4 since that other bunkerless par 4 14th farther east on I-20.

Bob

Kalen Braley

Kalen, in the old days when I played Tilden, #1 was a par 5.  Now it's a par 4, right?  I don't think they changed the hole, just the scorecard.

Bill,

Yes it is a par 4.  Point made thought, its still a tough hole whether they call it a par 4 or 5.  Its always tough to de-program yourself because we all like to play for par.  Probably the toughest opening hole that I can think of.

Bill_McBride

Bill,

Yes it is a par 4.  Point made thought, its still a tough hole whether they call it a par 4 or 5.  Its always tough to de-program yourself because we all like to play for par.  Probably the toughest opening hole that I can think of.

Just like Pasatiempo, each opener is much tougher feeling when it's a par 4 about the same length as it used to be when it was a par 5!

David Kelly

Alpine #10 and Crystal Downs #17 come to mind.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Bill Gayne

The 11th at Tralee is a tough uphill fight. In evaluating these holes I think you need to consider where the architect is bringing you. I may be in the minority but I think holes 12 to 16 are pretty good and I'm not sure if there was a different way to get to that point.

Richard Choi

#13 at Reserve Vineyards and Golf Club (North Course) is an abomination.

A short par 4 where you have absolutely NO IDEA where the green is, even from the middle of the fairway less than 100 yards from the green.

I will never, ever play that hole (or the course) again.

Mike Nuzzo

Bill,
But 15 at Cuscowilla has that beautiful green....

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Mike_Cirba

Bob/Bill/Mike,

I love you guys and we agree 99.9% of the time, but even C&C can design a flea-scratching, midnight-yelping, fur-shedding DOG.

The 14th at Cuscowilla is indefensible as a golf hole, and the result of having to somehow get back somewhere near the clubhouse after taking the course out along the lake for some scenic photos on 10 & 11. 

No one here would let Tom Fazio off so easy, so let's not fall victim to the lessening of our own standards. 

The tee shot alone is horrendous, not to mention the misshapen pond, but it doesn't get any better after that for the next 600+, uphill, Bataan-death march yards of a hole...in fact, it's virtually unplayable for most every level of golfer.  Were he still alive, I'm sure Dr. Mackenzie would come up with a vaccine for anyone who played the hole in the hope of finding some degree of "pleasurable excitement". 

It's the "Butterbean" of golf holes...big, slow, ugly, ungainly, and tough, but laughable as a serious contender and ultimately one only a mother could possibly love.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 09:02:29 AM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back