News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Where is this?
« on: June 01, 2008, 02:08:26 PM »
Wanted to see if anyone could guess this hole.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ian Larson

Re: Where is this?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 02:48:01 PM »
Is it an old photo of 12 or 16 at Torrey?

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »
Good guess, but no.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Ian Larson

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 04:34:45 PM »
hmmmm....its wreaking of a course in the San Diego area with that coastline in the background. Is it Torrey at all?  And if not my only other guess would possibly be LaJolla Country Club.

Jordan Caron

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:35:37 PM »
#3 at Torrey Pines south

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:15:05 PM »
#16 White Witch
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

David Stamm

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 06:31:10 PM »
Ian, Jordan and Cary, no. You guys are on the right track for the most part. It is not Torrey.

R_Paulis

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 06:37:33 PM »
I thought of Sandpiper immediately but no hole matches the picture in my memory and I don't think the Channel Islands are that close.

Maybe one of the courses in Orange County?

And I think there's one other course in Northern San Diego County that runs out to the water...

David Stamm

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 06:44:15 PM »
I thought of Sandpiper immediately but no hole matches the picture in my memory and I don't think the Channel Islands are that close.

Maybe one of the courses in Orange County?

And I think there's one other course in Northern San Diego County that runs out to the water...

RP, it is not Sandpiper, although that is a good guess.

Allan Long

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2008, 06:50:07 PM »
Is the picture deceiving in how close the water is? Nothing from Los Verdes is that close to the ocean, and I don't remember anything at Monarch Beach looking like that. If it is in So. Cal., I am having a hard time picturing it.

Edit:
I am going with Los Verdes. It looks like a par 4 on the front (#4?--it's been 15 years).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 07:00:27 PM by Allan Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 06:53:52 PM »
Is it the nine hole course out on Catalina Island?  I've never been out there but it should have some water views.

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 07:22:14 PM »
Is the picture deceiving in how close the water is? Nothing from Los Verdes is that close to the ocean, and I don't remember anything at Monarch Beach looking like that. If it is in So. Cal., I am having a hard time picturing it.

Edit:
I am going with Los Verdes. It looks like a par 4 on the front (#4?--it's been 15 years).

It is Los Verdes, Allan, but the hole is the 445 yd par 4 15th. The green looks very similiar to the old 3rd green on Torrey Pines South.

Allan Long

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 07:33:56 PM »
David,

If this is the hole I am thinking about, down to the left is where Marineland used to be. Also, I believe Tommy N. told me you could see the spot where Royal Palms used to be from this point.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 11:07:23 PM »
Looks a little like Couer D'Alene.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

CJ Carder

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 12:36:11 PM »
It is Los Verdes, Allan, but the hole is the 445 yd par 4 15th. The green looks very similiar to the old 3rd green on Torrey Pines South.

I also thought it reminded me of the 5th at Torrey North.  Of course, when I went back and looked at my picture of that hole, the bunker was on the other side of the green (right instead of left), but the overall setting is reminiscent.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2008, 01:37:31 PM »

I also thought it reminded me of the 5th at Torrey North.  Of course, when I went back and looked at my picture of that hole, the bunker was on the other side of the green (right instead of left), but the overall setting is reminiscent.

Bingo

David Stamm

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »

Bingo

The 5th on the North

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back