News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick Glynn

County Louth aka Baltray
« on: May 31, 2008, 07:11:24 PM »
I find it quite funny that I, an Irishman, have to come onto an American message board to find out more about this course. Have many in the treehouse played there? It seems to get passed over because of its location. Its not on the South-West tour (Ballybunion, Lahinch, Waterville) and the North (Portrush, Royal County Down, etc) yet the little I know of it suggests its a really good course. The East of Ireland Championship is on their at the moment & my friends are playing in it.

Can not find many good pictures on the internet, & the club's website only gives you a small taste of just what the course entails. The present course was laid out in 1938 by Tom Simpson and "freshed up" in 2003 by Steel & Tom MacKenzie apparently.

Edit - found the fly-over section of their website!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 07:19:40 PM by Patrick Glynn »

Bill Gayne

Stan Dodd

Re: County Louth aka Baltray
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:10 PM »
Patrick,
I walked it once in the early morning and played it in the afternoon and I thought it was very good. .  I stayed in the Dormie Rooms and wouls do that again.  I think it underrated.  A really good test particularly off the tee.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »
When I played it I enjoyed it, but it went to the back of the mind quickly as the next two rounds were at Portrush and County Down.  It was definitely a great stop on the way north though.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
Very good course-I played it with Kyle 3-4yrs ago on the way to RCD. Played on a perfect day and it was a strong test. For my money I would rather play the courses in the NW such as Rosses Point or Ballyliffin-better value. I played Portmarnock on a different trip and it was a better course if one is looking to play prior to going up to RCD and Portrush.

James Boon

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 05:20:04 AM »
Patrick,

It may be an American message board but thanks to the interweb we can all join in...

I have only made one trip to Ireland so far (though I'm hopefully playing RCD in September!) and as I was with my wife couldn't go all out to play golf, but as she likes ancient history I managed to play Portrush as its near the Giants Causeway. We then headed for the Newgrange sites and so I wondered where I could play near there, heard about Baltray and gave it a go. And I'm glad I did!

3, 5 and 14 were my favourite holes, with some of the holes on flatter land being not so great, but overall a good challenge. The rough was very long when I played so you also had to be straight off the tee!

The locals were also very friendly and welcoming... I was waved through by a couple of ladies. As I thanked them as I walked past, they asked where I was from and I just said I was from England, to which one replied that her brother was a club pro at Erewash Valley GC over in England - a course just down the road from where I live, and my brother used to be the assistant pro there, so her brother was my brothers ex boss! Small World!!!

Thanks to Bill for the link to the previous discussion thread and its photos. Also, just checked Google Maps and the satellite images of the course are now pretty good.
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 05:24:10 AM »
As the other thread indicates my back prevented me from actually playing.  But all is well now and Im in the Dublin area for three weeks this August.  I would to play with Ally, Jack or anyone else who will be in the area.

IM me

Tony
Let's make GCA grate again!

Jack_Marr

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 07:28:41 AM »
Hi Tony

I should be around. I can't remember if you said whether you've played the European Club, but it's worthwhile.

Anyway, back on subject. I thought Baltray was very enjoyable. The green complexes are one of its notable features.

John
John Marr(inan)

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
There are many highlights to Baltray, turf is always beautiful, great collection of par threes. The best part about the threes is the variety in the recovery options when missing the greens as well as the contours of the greens themselves, no guarantee of a three even if the green is hit.

The right to left tilt of the fifth green with the prevailing wind against and from the right is always a challenge.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back