News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Why not throw this one out there at the same time as the most disappointing is still on page 1.
It could be exciting for several reasons:

1. It's just a great hole
2. Location to the clubhouse/range/spectators

and I'm sure there are probably more reasons.

I'm going to start with one of my favorites, #1 Castle Pines, Denver. First you get the whole clubhouse experience with Tommy in the lockerroom. Then it's up to the range and onto the 1st tee. The hole itself is a very good par 5, 600 yards, severely downhill. It is reachable in two long straight shots if you hit the fairway. OB is in play on both sides for a wild one which does make you think about about just whaling away. There is strategy involved in a lay up and a nicely contoured green to make the approach just tricky enough.
Add to all this one of the finest views in golf, Mount Evans 40 miles one way and Pikes Peak 60 miles the other and this has to be one of the most memorable opening tee shots in golf.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Tyler Kearns

Re: The most exciting opening tee shot on a good golf course?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:12:01 PM »
Based primarily on the views, but also on the elevation of the tee and intimate surroundings, I nominate Capilano.

TK

John Moore II

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 03:14:45 PM »
The best opening hole I can think of that I have played is the opener at Pine Needles. The way the hole works from the back side of the clubhouse and the driving range. The hole itself is also very good, reachable, risk/reward par 5. From the tee you have a very good look at the entire clubhouse facility and up the hill to the old clubhouse/lodge.
--I will say however, that I think the view on 2 is better, but #1 is still a very strong opener with great views and atmosphere.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 03:20:37 PM »
I would have two:

1. Shinnecock

2. Sand Hills

It is so exciting to be standing there with a view of much of the golf course and the anticipation that it brings.

John Sheehan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 03:22:15 PM »
Why not throw this one out there at the same time as the most disappointing is still on page 1.
It could be exciting for several reasons:

1. It's just a great hole
2. Location to the clubhouse/range/spectators

and I'm sure there are probably more reasons.

#1 Mid Ocean.  It has everything you have mentioned.  It's an exciting and challenging hole, the green cants dramatically from high right to low left, inviting a shot from the left side of the fairway.  But to pull that off you must clear the furthest of the bunkers in echelon that cross the fairway.  Plus, I've always loved the walk up the steps from the shop to the first tee.  As you pop on up, the views of the 1st, the 17th (Redan), the 18th and of course the Atlantic are stunning.  It's a great start to one of my favorite courses.

Eric Smith

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 03:27:44 PM »
The Kingsley Club
Traverse City, Michigan

An exciting opening tee shot.
Par 5. Tons of room off this tee, always a plus in my book.  The centerline bunkers loom in the distance.  A decision to be made early on, whether to go left or right of the bunkers.  I aimed dead at them and enjoyed a nice level lie up above and to the right of them.

A fantastic opening view of what you soon discover is a fantastic golf course.

Also, seeing my playing partner's ball bounding left of the bunkers and down the hill quickly confirmed what we had expected after reading about this course, the conditions are deliciously firm and fast.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:52:00 PM by Eric Smith »

TEPaul

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 03:28:46 PM »
I think the opening tee shot at NGLA is one of the most exciting in the world since the variety of strategy is so interesting and one sure would never mistake the look and feeling on that opening tee and hole for anywhere else in the world, that's for sure. For most first timers the odd proximity of the clubhouse on that tee with a driver is very unusual. Most people would definitely be thinking; "please don't snap hook it."

David Kelly

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 03:29:30 PM »
I'd put Crystal Downs on the list - you tee off in that closed off little area and you have a great view of much of the front nine from the elevated tee, there's the tall grass on the left and the bunker on the right, you get  a peek at the lake in the distance...

Plus you're already thinking - before you even hit your opening tee shot - about making sure that you leave your approach below the hole.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 03:33:40 PM »
I have always loved (and been intimidated by) the opening shot at Yale. Almost always a crowd behind you, and it takes a reasonable carry to get over the hill that descends down to the pond. At any other time, the shot would be straightforward, but facing it with your first swing (usually for me after just getting out of the car) in front of spectators is a challenge.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 03:46:45 PM »
DK beat me to the punch here....but the opener @ Crystal qualifies in my book. The front 9 splilling it's guts in front of you is amazing. I only wish I had a wide-angle lense.

2nd place was an opening tee shot at Stanford years ago, and the excitement/depression of how far short of Mr. Woods I was going to be.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:53:32 PM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Doug Wright

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
I like the Castle Pines GC opening tee shot, but I prefer Cherry Hills #1 for another simple reason--the history.
That tee shot by Arnold Palmer was one of those "shots heard round the world."

I've also heard that the opener at some course in Philly named M*&#*n [emoticons omitted]
is a very exciting one, as I understand the first tee is just under the watchful eyes of members
in the clubhouse. The opening tee shot at Royal Aberdeen is very similar,
and also has a gorgeous view out to sea.

PS TOC #1 is almost always brought up on these threads.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 03:54:05 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Machrihanish -- bite off as much of the Atlantic Ocean as you choose.

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »
Bethpage Red--it's not everyone's first choice; it's a straight hole, 471 yds; downhill tee shot, not necessarily 'pretty' then to an uphill green.  What I think is most exciting about it is, hitting the fairway--the ball seems to hang in the air forever, and a good drive will leave the player with a mid-iron in (I've hit 6i into that hole) and a good chance to make par or birdie. 
On a hole of this length, especially as the opening hole, you feel as if you can hit the fairway and the green, get a par, it's going to be a very good round. 

Conversely, if you don't hit the fairway, it's going to take some work to make a 5. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 04:36:30 PM »
The original first tee at Banff; the one they use now is a candidate for the other thread.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tim Pitner

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 04:41:03 PM »
Machrihanish -- bite off as much of the Atlantic Ocean as you choose.

In a similar vein . . . Ballyneal. 

Stan Dodd

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 04:54:19 PM »
Royal Aberdeen.  You can almost break a window with your backswing.  The analysis of my timed siezure by the guys inside must be hoot. Plus it is a really good hole.

Jim Colton

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
I nominate Bandon Trails of the courses that I've played.

I also considered The Old Course and Pacific Dunes, not necessarily because they are outstanding golf holes, but just the excitement (think schoolgirl giddiness) leading up to teeing off on two of the best courses in the world.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 05:47:41 PM »
1. Sand Hills

2. Tobacco Road. You just stand there and go what the f***, where do I hit this and then you get to the landing area and go, "Oh, guess I had somewhere to hit it after all." Just love it.

Wyatt Halliday

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 05:57:57 PM »
Jon S.

I have never heard the phrase "spilling its guts" used in such a positive tone. I love the description!.

I would have to say Pacific Dunes was where I found myself most excited on the first tee. Perhaps the anticipation??

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 06:05:55 PM »
Homer vote for Prairie Dunes.  The hole just fits my eye, and the lure of cutting off some to the left is tempting, but too far left isleaves a blind shot, or way too far left in gunsch.  My understanding is that a bunker plan is in the works somewhere in the present left rough....I wish they wouldn't.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 06:06:09 PM »
To Jon Spaulding:

You sir, oh legend of lesser Bronco days gone by than us oldsters, hit the ball longer than anyone with whom I have ever played this game.  

Thus I am curious... I am quite familiar with Stanford #1 - and that is a great opening tee shot, btw.

Where did you/would you get it out to?

And where would Tiger?

If he's THAT much by you, well... I just can't imagine it.  And please no modesty.  I can handle the truth even if Jack Nicholson says otherwise.

TH

ps to Tony - great call re Sand Hills - that is a doozy.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 06:08:23 PM »
I'd nominate the 1st at Southern Hills.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »
On the southern hills choice...only if the fire is burning at the refinery...that was cool.

I'll say tobacco road...also garden city...I'll try to think of some more later...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
On the southern hills choice...only if the fire is burning at the refinery...that was cool.

I'll say tobacco road...also garden city...I'll try to think of some more later...

I think the look towards the Tulsa Skyline is pretty, I get a lot of strange looks but I think Tulsa is a nice city and I love standing on the hill overlooking the course

Chris Kane

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »
I agree with Phil.  Machrihanish, by miles.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back