News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Pinehurst No. 1 Post-Resto: Who's Got the Skinny?
« on: June 08, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
I lamented the closure of the course before getting a chance to play it, for the history and my understanding of its relatively-true preservation.

Richard Mandell's book also piqued my curiosity, for Mandell writes of the No. 1's central role in the development and success of Pinehurst -- perhaps I'm overstating this, but it seemed like without No. 1, No. 2 might not have made it through without major changes.  No. 2 was just too hard for the resort golfer!

Then there was Jaime Diaz writing of it as one of the 50 places to play before you die.

And they shut it down...

...but word on the street is the restoration was true, and post-surgery it's been brought back to life.  You know, like that "Gilligan's Island" episode where Gilligan's nose job produces a nose exactly like his old one.  Uh, only they really did operate on No. 1 -- but I digress.

Who's got the goods?  Who's got the pics?

Thanks!

hhuffines

Re: Pinehurst No. 1 Post-Resto: Who's Got the Skinny?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 09:58:12 AM »
Mark,

I believe there are some phots on the Pinehurst website.  I havent played it yet but have walked it and am impressed with the work.  I think it was done "in house" but they seem to have gotten it right! 

Many holes are still short but the Ross character remains.  I hope to play
it next week and will report back. 

Greg Krueger

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:03:10 AM »
I am playing it Wednesday! Really looking forward to it, will report on it Thursday or Friday.

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 09:42:27 PM »
Mark,
I played the course 3 times a couple weeks ago and was generally pleased with the work.  The conditioning is significantly better and if there was any re-working of the green slopes, I didn't notice. The 10th green seems larger and the front to back slope on the par 3 7th might have been increased slightly. If my memory is correct, a bunker was added on the right of the long par-3 11th. It wasn't so good - Ross's bunkers flow with the slope, this one fights it. With the r-l tilt of the fairway, why penalize a running, uphill shot to a green that's about 220 yards away?

A lot of brush and undergrowth was cleared and from some spots - the 8th tee e.g. - you can see several holes and get a real feel for the great topography. It must have been thrilling before all the housing was put in.

I fear it will get hammered as the year goes on. If you play, try to make it early. I had a 1PM tee time and enjoyed a 5.5 hour round.  Amazing on a 6000 yard course with tees and greens nearly on top of each other.

One other observation - on the 14th, my opponent and I hit drives of about the same carry. He played - unintentionally - down the right side over a bunker that has been nearly taken out of play by tree growth. I played the center. His ball was about 40-50 yards beyond mine, the result of a turbo-boost that's nearly lost due to the encroaching housing on that side. We were pretty excited by the find - was this Ross's intent? - but given the nearness of the o/b, it just isn't worth the risk.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:54:04 AM »
Greg

Yes please let us know.

Craig and hhuffines, so it's been lengthened?

Mark

Craig Disher

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 09:08:54 AM »
Mark,
No lengthening

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back