News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

Re: Who was the best player-architect of his day?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 06:25:02 PM »
Best Player-Architect in my opinion would probably have to be Tiger Woods just edging out Jack Nicklaus, with Arnold Palmer in the next tier.

Best Architect-Player - definately a wider field to consider!

Gerry B

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 09:35:05 PM »
if you had a points system of great player vs number of great courses that he designed - Fownes should win - terrific amateur and designed one course which is still considered in the top 10  - 15 in the world

SPDB

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »
Jay:
I love Travis, probably one of my top 3 archies.  Go play Ekwanok, you will love it.  It is obviously more pure Travis then GCGC. In many ways, it is like GCGC with better ground movement and natural features. I would also encourage you to try to play Round Hill in Greenwich, which I have always felt is a terrific study in how to use natural ground features as hazards.

Also, I have to take exception with the following:

Now we have OTM, BC, and The Grand Old Man.  Who else?

As Melvyn Morrow will no doubt tell you, there is a redundancy in that you've referred to Old Tom Morris by initials and by sobriquet. OTM was the original Grand Old Man; Travis was only the Old Man!   

RichMacafee

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Willie Park, Jr should get a nod!

I agree. Park Jr should definitely be a big part of this discussion
"The uglier a man's legs are, the better he plays golf. It's almost law" H.G.Wells.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 11:52:56 PM »
Willie Park, Jr should get a nod!

I agree. Park Jr should definitely be a big part of this discussion
IMO he trails both OTM and Braid in both playing ability (only 2 Open Championships vs. 4&5 for the other guys) and quality of architecture.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:45 AM »
And what about Mr. Weiskopf?

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2008, 12:47:04 AM »
Kalen,

The key to this is the phrase "of his day."  So that means using whatever would be the measuring criteria for success of their day.  For Braid and OTM, that would be the Open Championship of which each won the title multiple times.  I guess for Braid you could argue the US Open, but he never competed in it.  Both of these gentlemen were among the best of their generation, if not the best, player.  They also were among the best, if not the best, architect of their day.  I would say OTM was the best in both areas during his day.  Braid was a top 3 player of his era and probably a top 5 designer from his era.

I can see your point on Nicklaus, except that I think his architectural standing is far below his player standing for his era. 

Chris,

Fair enough.  Using that criteria, that sounds correct as there will be multiple best player-architects of thier individual day/era.

I still have a hard time seeing how OTM or Young Tom can even be compared to a JN or Arnie.  I did a little bit of looking around and the first open was 8 professionals.  In year 2 it expanded to 8 amateurs and 10 professionals.  The following years were probably similar for when the Toms won the lions share of thier tourneys.  It was likely more equivilant to a club championship in todays terms.  And if thats so I can think of another Tom who won one of those....   ;D

Kalen, Kalen, Kalen. It's time for a trip to the wood shed. You are looking at this from the stand point of what goes on now in major championship golf. When OTM and YTM won, that's all there was. No U.S., no PGA and no Masters. However, since Jay asked "For his day", I'll select a few. For today, Crenshaw with JN in second. OTM, Willie Park jr, James Braid and Walter Travis are all the best of their eras.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:17 AM »
Hi Guys

Wondering when I would join in?

“Of His Day”

Then my vote will be for the Grand Old Man of Golf, Old Tom Morris.
Consistent Golfer through the 1850-60’s. Competition player – 2, 4 ball matches, Open Winner & Runner Up.

8 ,10 ,12 or 100 players, its still a competition of the best golfers of the day – i.e. like putting Tiger with the best 10 other golfers of today – still
a very hard competition to win.

Sometimes we forget how good these Guys in the 19th Century were. Classic example is Young Tom at Prestwick 1870, First Hole 572 yards using Gutta & Hickory, down in 3. How many today can do that in 3 using the modern ball    & clubs let alone using Hickory/Gutta ball.

As for Architecture, again Old Tom, for what he achieved on inland and links courses, for how he kept his designs in contact with the surrounding land. But compared with the later Architects, for doing the designs predominately himself and not left to offices around the country (or world if comparing it with today) How many modern Players turned Architect are responsible for every part of every design?

So “Of his Day” then it can only be one  Old Tom Morris   

Jay Flemma

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2008, 05:22:44 PM »
Weiskopf builds great 12 hole wonders.

SB - I dunno...I think travis's name has pretty well been branded with "The Grand Old Man" for quite some time and I never heard morris referred top as The Grand old man...at least not in the same way.

So the question still remains...Travis or Crenshaw?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back