News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re: "Frank Commentary" versus Diplomacy
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:40 PM »
Kalen,

I have been hosted by many, many people on this site and probably paid less than 1% of the time.  I believe I have been 100% honest with any question I have ever been asked.  Funny thing about me is that almost everytime I go anywhere the conditions are so perfect and the courses so well regarded that I can not imagine not having a great time.  I rarely associate with people with poor tastes which lends itself to only great experiences.  I can smell a douche a million bytes away and avoid those guys at all costs....it is a simple formula.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2008, 01:40:12 PM »
Kalen,

I have been hosted by many, many people on this site and probably paid less than 1% of the time.  I believe I have been 100% honest with any question I have ever been asked.  Funny thing about me is that almost everytime I go anywhere the conditions are so perfect and the courses so well regarded that I can not imagine not having a great time.  I rarely associate with people with poor tastes which lends itself to only great experiences.  I can smell a douche a million bytes away and avoid those guys at all costs....it is a simple formula.

J/K

I believe you have been a good guest and I believe that you beleive you have been honest 100% of the time.

Not be a ball buster though, I was just trying to get an answer to the question.  I'm sure most of the time you've been asked "how'd you like the place?"  And at least a few of those it was a lukewarm experience or something much much less.  What was the response?

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
In one way, this seems like a complicated question/issue to me. In another, it seems very simple, i.e. since no one is duty-bound (or being paid, at least on this site) to share their critiques, they need not risk insulting their host with a negative review. That's better for the host and better for the course, and I can't see how it hurts the player himself. Plus, there are other sources I can go to for 'unbiased' reviews.

Peter

Adam Clayman

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2008, 05:45:17 PM »
" Lawsonia is a perfect example in that I think it is the most overrated course on any Golfweek list yet I will still return because of the ease of access and price.  "

John, Are you forgetting all the preconceived notions you went into the round with?

Have you been back to Lawsonia since your virgin trek?

As someone who never realized he was a critic, before it was too late, it takes time to consider any criticisms. Unless some aspect of the design (usually routing) jumps off the turf at me, (remember Dismal River?) I find it hard to be critical because, even the worst golf course has some merit. (I'm thinking sand greens and cow pasture turf)
 On the other hand, something that I know is good/great, and someone says contrary, it's much easier to speak up. What usually happens when asked for their justification, the back peddling begins. One thing is for sure, when someone knows their shit, they make a good case. Sophisticated understanding is not often found amongst the masses. Is it?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
Adam,

There will always have to be one most overrated course and I have not played Firestone.  I love Lawsonia and plan to return. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
This is a tough question.  If we can't talk frankly about private clubs then it hurts the purpose of this discussion group.  At the same time, I also agree it would be rude to play somewhere as a guest and then criticize the place.

Fortunately, anytime I've been a guest at a private club the overall experience has been a good one and there's no reason to discuss negatives.  I don't care where you play, there's going to be something imperfect.  I find it easier when I just try to talk about what I liked.  If the list of good things is short, well that should tell you something....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back