News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Anything worthwhile near Pleasanton, CA?
« on: May 28, 2008, 12:41:56 PM »
I'm out to Pleasanton on business for a quick hit and run trip and wondered if there was anything nearby that would merit me lugging my clubs along on the trip.  From what I can gather looking around on Google maps I'm guessing the answer to my question might be no.

Cheers,
Brad

Kalen Braley

Re: Anything worthwhile near Pleasanton, CA?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:43:54 PM »
Callippe Preserve would be worth a look based on the threads I've seen of it on here.

If you include the entire east bay there are other options that can be thrown out there as well.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »
Brad -  Kalen's right in that if you include the whole east bay there are a lot of worthwhile courses.  Venture farther and the sky is the limit.  But you did say quick hit and run, so....

Right there in or near Pleasanton, well yes Callippe Preserve is well worth playing, as is Ruby Hills (private).  Wente Vineyards is not far away, and that's darn good too.  The new Stonebrae (TPC San Francisco - private) is also pretty much right there.

I'd say it's worth bringing the clubs.  Hell tell us where and when and perhaps some of us can join you!

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »
A couple of other courses to mention:

Lake Chabot has recently re-opened and thats a fun quirky course.  Not sure what kind of condition its in, but I've played it many a time.

At the Oakland airport is Metropolitian which is an interesting course with some really neat holes on the back 9...also worth a play.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:01:59 PM »
A couple of other courses to mention:

Lake Chabot has recently re-opened and thats a fun quirky course.  Not sure what kind of condition its in, but I've played it many a time.

At the Oakland airport is Metropolitian which is an interesting course with some really neat holes on the back 9...also worth a play.

Kalen - not sure those are close enough for quick hit and run starting in Pleasanton.  But yes, each would be worth playing.  Expand this out farther and the choices are huge.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
I guess I just assumed that he would be flying in and out of Oakland airport as its the closest, and both of those are certainly on the way. Well maybe not Lake Chabot, but certainly the Met!!!   ;)

Agreed on the expansion...hell if he has an extra free day in town, the option pool becomes rather massive.  But if it means knocking off at 4 in Pleasanton, then the choices are likely limited to the Pleasanton/Livermore/Dublin/San Ramon area.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:12:02 PM »
I'm keeping my hopes for increasing my radius of possibilities low, as I'll likely be traveling with co-workers (no golfers among them).  If I fly into Oakland, the Met looks like a decent possibility.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers,
Brad

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:14 PM »
Very cool.  Kalen's right - Metro is literally adjacent to Oakland airport and thus might work very well.  It's a pretty darn fun course too, frequented by many a local GCAer.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:18:39 PM »
Has anyone been out to Roddy Ranch (in Antioch) lately? As I recall, the housing development there went belly up. Does anyone know how the golf course is doing these days?

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:25:28 PM »
When are you coming? I'm in Livermore, which is directly adjacent to Pleasanton. Ed, another GCA stallwart lives in Pleasanton, though he's cmoving in the next few months.

Let me know if you want to get together.

Dublin Ranch is a fun alternative if you're up for cart golf. Par 63. Good variety of 1 shotters. Great conditioning.

David-

The conditions at Roddy have deteriorated, which is too bad. That's one of my favorite layouts. They're still trying to get houses built there at some point.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
Paging Ed Getka and Neal Meagher (both Pleasanton residents)!

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 01:28:46 AM »
Brad,
   My feelings are seriously hurt. :'( I LIVE in Pleasanton and you didn't call me first!! ;) We are deep into packing for our move east, but I will carve out time to get together to at least say hi, if not golf. It has been too long since our round together in Colorado. For which JakaB owes me money. :D
Give me a ring and we'll coordinate something 925 417-1944.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 01:58:33 AM »
Hey Ed - moving east?  What happened to moving south-west, to Melbourne and joining Kingston Heath?  Is Australian Immigration that tough?

Best wishes on the move - Bev and I just moved two days ago, just about a mile away to Norwood.  We are still in boxes.  More unpacking and disposing of past excesses to go.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back