News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul Jones

Walton Heath
« on: May 28, 2008, 04:32:58 AM »
I played Walton Heath and loved it.  However, there was a little drizzle/rain all day so I was not able to take pictures.  Does anyone have pictures they can share.  I looked and Ran does not have a write up on Walton Heath.

Thanks,
Paul
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 07:18:29 AM by Paul Jones »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Walton Heath
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 04:48:52 AM »
I have some pictures buried somewhere which I will try to post...

I thought Walton Heath was fantastic. Did you play both courses?

The Old Course has been changed considerably since Fowler's day but the New Course remains much as it did...

What did you think about the tree clearing scheme they've undertaken to open up the views and promote the old heathland common feel? They've been much bolder than any of the other heathland courses...

Paul Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:52:48 AM »
Ally,

I loved it.  This was my first time playing the course so I cannot compare, but it was awesome - especially since I was the only person playing that day.

I did not have enough time to play the new course.

Looking forward to the pictures.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Dan Boerger

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:05:04 AM »
Paul - I recall some excellent photos being posted on this site not long ago. I suggest you bang around the search function. I really like WH, and enjoy the old and new pretty much equally. That's some practice putting green, too!
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

James Boon

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:58:58 AM »
I played the Old Course at Walton Heath about 6 years ago and loved it. Would be great to see any good photos anyone can post.

One thing that I've always wondered about Walton Heath, is it the Old Course that was used for the Ryder Cup in 81 and then the various European Opens in the late 80s or early 90s? Or did they use a composite course? It would seem difficult to have professionals and all the spectators that come with them playing or watching the first hole, only to then have to then cross the road to get to the second? Can anyone answer this one?

Cheers, James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:49:54 PM »
I played the Old Course at Walton Heath about 6 years ago and loved it. Would be great to see any good photos anyone can post.

One thing that I've always wondered about Walton Heath, is it the Old Course that was used for the Ryder Cup in 81 and then the various European Opens in the late 80s or early 90s? Or did they use a composite course? It would seem difficult to have professionals and all the spectators that come with them playing or watching the first hole, only to then have to then cross the road to get to the second? Can anyone answer this one?

Cheers, James

James.....1981 Ryder Cup played exclusively on the Old Course. I'm fairly certain that a composite course has never been used for tournament competition.

Ken McGlynn

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:13:20 PM »

Cheers, James

James.....1981 Ryder Cup played exclusively on the Old Course. I'm fairly certain that a composite course has never been used for tournament competition.

Ok, I just threw the red flag on myself and huddled under the on-field monitor. "Upon further review....15 holes of the Old and 3 from the New." Info off of the Walton Heath website.

rchesnut

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 03:09:28 PM »
I played Walton Heath Old and New on the same day a few years ago...rained the whole time, so no pictures.  I thought the Old course in particular was just fantastic, I really enjoyed it.   

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Thanks for the links Pete if you follow the 'New' thread Mark Rowlinson gives details of the Ryder Cup course.  Once a year the club play a competition on it.   It's far shorter than 'from the tips today', partly because the event followed some of the wettest September weather seen for many a year.   They moved the markers up on the holes as they were then and today there is a small marker where they were during the competition.

Next Monday the European Leg of the Regional Qualifiers for the US Open will be there.  Entrance and parking adjacent to the courses is free and its fun to watch players like Clarke, Dougherty, McDowell and Campbell struggle with the correct way to play out of heather - even when you’re as strong as those guys.  You can wander the fairways behind them as the crowd will be less than 3000 people over 36 holes.  Two years ago Campbell qualified from here and what happened next is...

IM me if you'd like ot meet up there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 04:07:16 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

jkinney

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
I'm lucky enough to get in a round at Walton Heath nearly every spring and find it a great pleasure indeed. When the heather is blooming and one can gaze over most of the 36 holes from anywhere on the ground, it's as good as heathland golf can get. Also the proper English carvery washed down with claret at Sunday lunch is a treat.

John Sheehan

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »
Paul,
This is very serendipitous.  I just started re-reading Bernard Darwin's "Golf Courses of the British Isles" last evening.  Along with Pete Lavallee's posting of the links to the photo essays, I now have a nice reference.  So thanks to your both for your thoughful timing.  ;)

A Question:  As far as I recall, Darwin does not mention a second course at Walton Heath.  From the descriptions though, it sounds like he is describing the "New Course."  Is that correct?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back