News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Sheehan

Morgan Creek - anyone played it?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:12:18 AM »
I am going to be playing Morgan Creek G&CC this week with the intent of reviewing the course.  Has anyone here played it?  If so, what were your impressions of it?

It is in Roseville, CA. The website: http://www.morgancreekclub.com/golf.html

I'll be taking some pictures and (if I can figure it out) will be be happy to post some.

Matt_Cohn

Re: Morgan Creek - anyone played it?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 02:32:32 AM »
here we go....

John Sheehan

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 02:37:44 AM »

Mike Benham

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jed Peters

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:12 AM »
When are you going to be out there?

It's "alright". LOL.

No, seriously, I'm a big fan (obviously) and the only member on the GCA board.

Let me know if you want to hook up.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 10:03:34 AM »
John:   You're new here.  Every course in the world has been discussed on this site, numerous times.

Morgan Creek is a really very good effort by Kyle Phillips.  A few holes don't work and the course is surrounded by some pretty cheesy housing but all in all its one of the better courses in Sacramento.  Bring your A game, because it can be hard if you're not hitting it well.

If the course was located on Long Island it would get a lot more attention.

Jed Peters

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:24:36 AM »
 A few holes don't work and the course is surrounded by some pretty cheesy housing but all in all its one of the better courses in Sacramento.

What holes don't work?

And what housing was "cheesy"? I realize you probably have a higher standard than most, but some of the houses on the course are actually quite nice. Definitely nicer (IMHO) compared to other tracks like Ruby Hill, etc.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 10:50:14 AM »

Any idea what might happen if it was located in Philly :-\ ?

How does this effort by Phillips compare with his work at Granite Bay?
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Mike Benham

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:38:02 AM »
And what housing was "cheesy"? I realize you probably have a higher standard than most, but some of the houses on the course are actually quite nice. Definitely nicer (IMHO) compared to other tracks like Ruby Hill, etc.

Running off on a tangent here but are you saying the houses at Morgan Creek are nicer then Ruby Hill?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Sheehan

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 01:07:33 PM »
Everyone,
Thanks for the responses and the links. 
I should have prefaced this by saying that I had done a site search and came up empty-handed on the quest for any previous threads about Morgan Creek.  Either I am not good at it, or the search function is somewhat limited. So my apologies for bring up what has been hashed out before.

Jed,
I'm playing either tomorrow or Friday.  Thanks for the offer and I'd love to do it, but the logistics have been problematic at best and it just won't work out this time.  I'd love to hook up with a fellow GCAer at another time though.  So thanks again for the offer.  Definitely in the future!
John

Jed Peters

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 08:44:36 PM »

Running off on a tangent here but are you saying the houses at Morgan Creek are nicer then Ruby Hill?

On the back 9, yep.

Definately those front 9 houses are worse....but Ruby hill was like all mcmansions last time I went, stacked on top of each other

Jed Peters

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:27 PM »

Any idea what might happen if it was located in Philly :-\ ?

How does this effort by Phillips compare with his work at Granite Bay?

Better. Even his original work, pre hacked up.

It's considered second only to his work at kingsbarns by many. Many think it is just that good.

John Sheehan

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 10:54:22 PM »
When are you going to be out there?

Let me know if you want to hook up.

Jed,
Finally have the itinerary all set.  We are looking to arrive sometime around 9:30 tomorrow (Thursday) morning.  The friend who set this up has a fourth already committed.  But if you are around, at least we could meet, talk about your course and I'd be happy to buy you a drink.  Let me know if that's a possibility.  Very much looking forward to playing the course.
John

Jed Peters

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 12:19:05 AM »
John:

I'll see you after your round.

Everyone will know me in there, I should be at the club by 1:30.

Just ask for Jed...I have plans to eat lunch at that time, so I'll see you in there!

John Sheehan

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »
John:

I'll see you after your round.

Everyone will know me in there, I should be at the club by 1:30.

Just ask for Jed...I have plans to eat lunch at that time, so I'll see you in there!

Jed,

Fantastic!  By the way, I am literally on the phone talking with my friend, Ted Burgess, and he tells me we can play as a five-ball if you are interested. 
John

Jed Peters

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »
Looks like Ted just joined. It'll be good to meet him.

Tell him he needs to get brad or joe to get him a GHIN number from morgan creek to play in the club championship next week.

He'll be playing friday/sat/sunday in the gross flight.

I'm out for tomorrow, as I've got a conference call in the morning, but I'll see you at 1:30ish when you come off the course.

John Sheehan

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 01:55:51 AM »
Looks like Ted just joined. It'll be good to meet him.

Tell him he needs to get brad or joe to get him a GHIN number from morgan creek to play in the club championship next week.

He'll be playing friday/sat/sunday in the gross flight.

I'm out for tomorrow, as I've got a conference call in the morning, but I'll see you at 1:30ish when you come off the course.

Jed,
It will be good to meet you.  You can tell Ted.  I stay out of club politics.  8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back