News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

What do you think of this course?
« on: May 26, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
Fortunately for me, I am too ignorant of history to have input about Marion.   ;) So, for those of you, like me....what do you think of this golf course? 

Bart

Dan Herrmann

Re: What do you think of this course?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 07:43:58 PM »
I think the first picture presents a very challenging approach shot.  The bunkers seem a bit bland, but that may have been due to construction costs.  Nice movement in the fairways, but - BOY are there a lot of trees.

Gotta be in the Northern US or Southern Canada?

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:50:24 PM »
How are the mosquitoes?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mike Boehm

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
Is that the RTJ-MAsterpiece up at Treetops?  Looks like approach into 1, #7 and from behind the green at #8.  If so, Iplayed it once and enjoyed it a great deal, though I think that the course ends with a bit of a whimper from 16 and on.  Definitely a challenging course and a lot more to it than the drop shot par 3 6th that made it famous.  My favorite hole was probably #3.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:18:05 PM »
Yes, Mike it is Robert Trent Jones Masterpiece course at Treetops...My first time around I really thought the course was interesting but on repeat plays felt the design was more penal than strategic.  The piece of property (yes Dan in Northern MI) sure was beautiful...I have never had a significant problem with mosquitos.

I have come to like the course by Rick Smith the best of those at the resort.  What did you think of the others there?

Bart

John Foley

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »
Bart,

I have just started to look at Treetops for a fall golf trip and was thinking about asking for some opinions.

What did you like / dislike? How is it for the value?
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bart Bradley

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:02:40 PM »
Bart,

I have just started to look at Treetops for a fall golf trip and was thinking about asking for some opinions.

What did you like / dislike? How is it for the value?

John:

I like that there are 4 courses all at the resort.  I like that they are all fun to play.  I like that the cost is quite reasonable.  I like that the place is beautiful.  I like the golf condo that we rented there...it was excellent and perfect for 4 guys...2 bedrooms, 4 beds.  My group enjoyed the 9 hole par3 course as a diversion one time.  The courses have always been in pretty good shape.

The golf is good, not great.  There are some really nice holes and some less than well designed holes.  We are not into nightlife but there probably isn't much close by.  The food was decent but not great.

John, I would recommend it highly for the price...it is not in the same league as the great resorts (Bandon, Kohler, etc..)but well worth the trip. 

Here is a pic from the FAZIO COURSE:

and the first hole of the Smith Signature:

Enjoy.

Bart

Mike Boehm

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
Yes, Mike it is Robert Trent Jones Masterpiece course at Treetops...My first time around I really thought the course was interesting but on repeat plays felt the design was more penal than strategic.  The piece of property (yes Dan in Northern MI) sure was beautiful...I have never had a significant problem with mosquitos.

I have come to like the course by Rick Smith the best of those at the resort.  What did you think of the others there?

Bart

Actually have not played the others at the resort, but would like to get out to see the other two at some point.  It seems that the votes for favorite at Treetops seem to get split pretty evenly amongst the Premier, the Masterpiece, and the Smith Signature (I have not heard manygood things about the Smith Tradition, however).

Ed Oden

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 11:47:21 PM »
Bart:

If the pictures are indicative of the rest of the course, it looks to be very difficult.  Of course, you are used to tough courses. ;)  How long is the approach in the first pic and is it typically coming from the angle of the photo or further to the right?  Depending on length, the green looks very shallow to have water in front.  On the third pic, is the green sloping front to back towards the water?  In the photo of the Smith course, I think it would be a better looking hole if they removed the 2 bunkers short of the fairway, the 2nd and 3rd bunkers on the left side of the fairway and the second bunker on the right side of the fairway.

Ed

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:16 AM »

Ed:

The first picture is a par 5 and so the distance varies....as I recall, I layed up to the spot of the photo.  On other trips I have had a go at the green but it is just a very difficult shot.  Yes, the majority of the fairway is to the right of where I snapped the picture.  The whole RTJ Masterpiece course is hard...but there is nothing wrong with that.  The green in the third photo is very narrow and runs to the back...another par 5...I have never tried to go at that green..even more difficult than number 1.

I agree that the Smith hole in question is overbunkered.
 ;D

Bart

John Foley

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:02:25 AM »
Bart -Thanks - more pics please.

The group is very diverse - we go from a CEO to a special ed teacher- so value is important.

We've done Alabama the last two years and we've had a blast. Looking at treetops for a change. My big concern is we go in Oct and we could catch a nice fall day or ir could be miserable.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »
John:

You asked for it...more pics ...so here goes:

Fazio #1

Smith Signature:

Some holes from the Smith Tradition

another from the RTJ Masterpiece:

Another Fazio:

Several from Threetops (par 3 course):

Ok John...these are my best photos from the Treetops Resort...Hope you enjoy them...Not bad ;)

Bart

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 08:08:33 PM »
The par three look s to be the most interesting.

The first picture from the Jones course- the angled green over the water- how many times have I seen that same hole on other courses? I not trying to be critical just to be critical- I have not been there and it may be a fine course- I know the resort has a good reputation- just wondering if the rest of the course has that kind of familiar sameness...

The Smoth course started out as a walking only course. Has that changed, or is the players's knee brace the reason for the golf car?
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Bart Bradley

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 08:27:12 PM »
The par three look s to be the most interesting.

The first picture from the Jones course- the angled green over the water- how many times have I seen that same hole on other courses? I not trying to be critical just to be critical- I have not been there and it may be a fine course- I know the resort has a good reputation- just wondering if the rest of the course has that kind of familiar sameness...

The Smoth course started out as a walking only course. Has that changed, or is the players's knee brace the reason for the golf car?

The RTJ course is the most difficult but probably not the best...there are two Smith courses (signature and tradition)...The Tradition used to be walking only, but no longer.   Although I prefer to walk, this round is part of an annual golf till you drop trip (36 holes/day for several days) and walking becomes increasingly difficult...especially at mountain or hilly courses such as these.

Bart

John Foley

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 09:20:08 PM »
Bart - Thnaks - thats what I wanted to see.

How much fun was Threetops? I love that idea the end of the day jaunt around the par 3!

Bart Bradley

Re: What do you think of this course? New
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:33 PM »
Bart - Thnaks - thats what I wanted to see.

How much fun was Threetops? I love that idea the end of the day jaunt around the par 3!

John:

It is a good time...the sort of thing that makes these trips memorable....Can you "VALIDATE"?

Have you seen the made for TV Threetops Challenges?  they are a blast to watch before you go to whet your appetite. 

I really don't think you'll be disappointed in this trip unless the weather ruins it for you.

Bart
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:37:18 PM by Bart Bradley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back