News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Patric Dickinson
« on: January 11, 2004, 09:46:28 PM »
I know we have discussed Dickenson previously...what I'm hoping for here are posts about some favorite poems or writings of this talemted gentleman.

His book, "A Round of Golf Courses" is in my collection. If I am not mistaken, he wrote other books, but perhaps none except this one about golf.

Here is how he described The Old Course:

But never was a course so like the motions of the sea:
the slow, steady start of the first four holes,
the sudden stride of the long ‘Hole o’ Cross’,
this is just like the movement of the ebb —
running quickly now through ‘Heathery’ to its farthest out,
the 7th, the ‘High Hole’.

Now comes slack water in truth,
for here is the loop and 8, 9 and 10 at flat,
slack-water holes, to be exploited with all possible power.

It is as if here at low water the old wreck shows its ribs,
and one has just time to dig for the treasure in its hold
before the tide turns again . . .

and now as, just before it turns,
the tide seems suddenly to recede a little farther
and then begins to ripple inwards,
now comes the short 11th.

Its green pairs with the 7th but is a little farther out
on the very edge of the links,
so that a shot over the green seems as if it will drop
splash! into the estuary of the Eden . . .

From the twelfth tee to the eighteenth green,
in floods the tide,
and perhaps you are being lucky enough
and playing well enough to come in with it
until you reach the ‘Road Hole’,
where the last sandcastle of your golfing pride and hope
must stand against the waves until you are safely
on the eighteenth tee.

— Patric Dickinson, A Round of Golf Courses
« Last Edit: January 11, 2004, 09:47:58 PM by Forrest Richardson »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:Patric Dickinson
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 10:33:41 AM »
Forrest,

I'm sending you some information which may help you by e-mail.

Mark.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Patric Dickinson
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 03:10:18 PM »
Mark I've never been more curious...
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »
Is this THE Patric Dickinson, cousin of Bruce, who puts his pants on just like us - one leg at a time - but when is pants are on, makes gold records?

Forgive me Forrest but I couldn't resist.
And God help us all if no one gets that.

TH

Noel Freeman

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:18:59 PM »
I actually have Dickinson's notes he took while writing A round of golf courses.  They are photocopies, basically it is the prose he wrote in the book but his doodles and his little notes are priceless.  I sent a copy I believe to Geoff Shackelford but not sure if I have the original photocopies..  Is funny because I mentioned PD to Mark Rowlinson the other day in an email..

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 03:24:01 PM »
Noel were they done for as individual pieces or always intended as a book?  I always hoped there might be one or two more.

By some way my favourite guidebook to courses.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 03:47:36 PM »

Tony

Agreed, a timeless gem which can be read over & over again.  I usually find some piece of prose or comment that I somehow missed on previous readings.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Forrest,
 You forgot to mention the very interesting drawings depicting some of the great holes featured in the book. I consider Dickenson's writing to be superb and its excellent to compare his notes to Darwin's interns of how the courses evolved.

Sean_A

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 03:43:39 AM »
Dickinson's A Round is second to none as a guide book.  A particularly fine passage:

No, once on this Hoylake links, there is no means of avoiding prosecuting counsel's questions.  It is a golfing cross-examination which will reveal and work upon every flaw in your golfing technique.  It is at Hoylake that all golfing dentists should be forced to take their holidays.  Hoylake probes relentlessly, finds the soft spot and reached for the drill.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Noel Freeman

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 07:22:48 AM »
Noel were they done for as individual pieces or always intended as a book?  I always hoped there might be one or two more.

Tony from what I have it was always intended as a book.. When I got the notes I was hoping there would be other courses in there that didnt make the cut but alas that was not to be..

One of the most interesting things in it which did not make the book was his drawing of Royal Worlington's routing as a right triangle.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 12:26:44 PM »
Noel, How did you get hold of his notes?

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:25:39 PM »
I like best his description of Ganton:

"I have lingered over the arrival at Ganton, for there is a particular flavour to it: a welcoming and yet an aristocratic greeting: an air of traditional good manners, even, is communicated from the bunkers: "Good morning", they seem to say, "we hope to be introduced"."

Who could write like that today?

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
I know I've said it before, but I knew Patric. His daughter, Ginny, married my best-man. When I worked for the BBC I engaged Patric on a number of occasions to compile suitable poetry programmes to sit as intervals for live concert relays. I think his best was a brilliant compilation of poems connected with heroes to go before a performance of Ein Heldenleben by Richard Strauss.

In later life Patric, although he lived in Rye, didn't talk about golf. He had given it up. He had played for Cambridge and when he found that he could no longer putt he got rid of his clubs and that part of his life. I once sent him my card from Royal Worlington. I was rather pleased with it - 84 gross, I think - he replied courteously that I must have been pleased with the round, but that he had never failed to break 80 as an undergraduate. He did it all with the greatest charm.

We were honoured to be on his Christmas card list. Every year he wrote a suitable poem, had it printed and distributed it to, I suspect, a long list of recipients - at his memorial gathering an extraordinary collection of literate people congregated in Chelsea.

Through Ginny I kept in touch with his widow, Sheila, and, when I was writing some golf guide or other soon after being chucked out of the BBC, I stayed with her in Rye while visiting everything from North Foreland to Stoneham. She told me about the 'Putter Parties' they used to hold. When the Presidents Putter was held in January at Rye, Patric forgot that he'd given up golf and invited all the participants to drinks at his gorgeous house in Church Square. I don't know what he served them, but I can vouch for the potency of his Gin and French.

Sheila, too, is no longer, but I remember them both with the utmost affection.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 02:16:55 PM »

I know I've said it before, but I knew Patric. His daughter, Ginny, married my best-man. When I worked for the BBC I engaged Patric on a number of occasions to compile suitable poetry programmes to sit as intervals for live concert relays. I think his best was a brilliant compilation of poems connected with heroes to go before a performance of Ein Heldenleben by Richard Strauss.

In later life Patric, although he lived in Rye, didn't talk about golf. He had given it up. He had played for Cambridge and when he found that he could no longer putt he got rid of his clubs and that part of his life. I once sent him my card from Royal Worlington. I was rather pleased with it - 84 gross, I think - he replied courteously that I must have been pleased with the round, but that he had never failed to break 80 as an undergraduate. He did it all with the greatest charm.

We were honoured to be on his Christmas card list. Every year he wrote a suitable poem, had it printed and distributed it to, I suspect, a long list of recipients - at his memorial gathering an extraordinary collection of literate people congregated in Chelsea.

Through Ginny I kept in touch with his widow, Sheila, and, when I was writing some golf guide or other soon after being chucked out of the BBC, I stayed with her in Rye while visiting everything from North Foreland to Stoneham. She told me about the 'Putter Parties' they used to hold. When the Presidents Putter was held in January at Rye, Patric forgot that he'd given up golf and invited all the participants to drinks at his gorgeous house in Church Square. I don't know what he served them, but I can vouch for the potency of his Gin and French.

Sheila, too, is no longer, but I remember them both with the utmost affection.

I didn't know all that, thank you Mark.  Tell me did he talk so colourfully or was his imagination best with pen and paper at hand? He would appear to have had a most ready wit.

I had a paperback reprint but when I saw a first edition I didn't hesitate.

He describes a Sunday in St Andrews as follows “Perhaps it is a day for a little quiet putting on the drawing-room carpet...or even for reading books about golf.”  His introduction finishes “One final Word. This book may also lead to the pleasant pastime of list-making. But don’t send your lsts-of-other-18’s and your why-have you-left-out’s to me. I've done them all already!” Perhaps Ran and Ben could make him Golf Club Atlas Poet Laureate in absentia!

BTW I’ve only just realise how clever Forrest’s original post is.  He has edited out lines from just one of themes in that chapter, so that it reads like a stand alone poem.

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 02:33:32 PM »
Thank you Mark. Yes, you had written before about your your friendship, but not in such detail.

"A Round.." is the single best book ever written on golf. No other book has so much to say about that place where golfers and golf courses intersect.

On playing the first three holes at N. Berwick:

"If you are a modest or retiring golfer the first three holes, in the season, will profit the psychiatrists no end."

I could go on mining Dickinson quotes for the rest of the day.

Again, thanks for posting your recollections. I would like to hear more about his decision to give up golf. Surely it wasn't just a matter of losing his putting touch? Am I correct in taking your hint to mean that he was quite proud of his game d'antan?

Bob  

Tom Naccarato

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 05:52:54 PM »
One of my favorite is on one of the holes I would most like to see before my days end, and that's Aberdovey's "Cader."

Call me sentimental but, I have an affinity for the blind shot par 3 over a huge sand dune.  I think its a hole that still has a place and rightfully so. It's one of the main taproots of the sport: The fear of what lies over the other side and the ability to confidently put the ball into play. (where to hit it)

With that, in Patric's words:

And then at the 3rd...the third hole is called 'Cader' because you hit it over a curvature of a mountainous dune into air, thin air: so subterranean is the tee in relation to the green that you have a periscope to put you on to the target. A Coleridgean opium-dream of a hole such as Kubla Khan might easily have decreed; over the brow of 'Cader' is a 'romantic chasm' of appalling size through which, if once in, the doomed golfer will proceed with fast, thick pants, and from which I am sure that ancestral voices have prophesied far worse then war. Beyond this waste, which has its hell-gate perpendicularly guarded with railway sleepers, lies the green in a nice, friendly hollow. If you hit your tee shot straight and far enough, the hole is an easy 3. If not, well, 33 has gone on to a medal card. For the bottom is not mere sand, but shale and stones as well. When you have finished 'Cader' you ring a bell, and I found myself involuntarily muttering,

Hear it not, Duncan; for it is a knell
That summons thee to Heaven or to Hell...

No doubt to the modern golf-architect this hideous Calibran of a creature, like its more gentle dam the 14th at Harlech, should be done away with. I do not agree. To the end of golf--till the whole game is played mechanically and golfers sit like telephone operators before switchboards in underground clubhouses radio-controlling their robots--let the 'Cader' lose no stone. This shocking vision came to me after 'Cader' perhaps because, off all the links, Aberdovey is perhaps the most 'natural' golf. Old-fashioned, even antique--and so becoming immeasurably valuable. Dynamic shafts, supersonic balls, cannot avoid this basic fact: GOLF IS A GAME OF SKILL, A GAME PLAYED WITH THE HEAD AND HANDS, AND NOTHING BUT SKILL WILL DO AT ABERDOVEY.

(upper-cased boldness by me, to get the point across)

'The Cader' sadly has been, for the most part, dumbed down because men of distinction--all of us--have lost sight of the Sportsmanship of the SPORT of Golf. We don't like being challenged anymore. Holes like the blind one-shotter have fallen like soldiers in a bare field, never to more be heard, and in some cases barely remembered.

Thanks Patric. You surely are a man that got it....

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
I had a paperback reprint edition but whilst in a second hand book shop in Northumberland over the weekend I spotted a first edition which I bought without hesitation.

The current thread regarding "Calamity" at Portrush made me look up Dickinson's comments on that hole:

“This next hole is called, with tactful understatement, “Calamity Corner”.  It is two hundred yards long and there is no room on the left, which is the wild rushy crest of the ridge.  A yard to the right and over you go, sheer down this grass cliff whose gradient must be 1 in 1.  It is a romantic chasm, an opening of hell, and to escape from it it is necessary to defy gravity, taking your stance almost like a fly on a wall, and striking a rocket shot up to the zenith of heaven.  You can do this any number of times, for I almost dare not say that the lies on this cold hill’s side are not, well, exactly favourable to pyrotechnics.”

Why is it that, to the best of my knowledge, Dickinson only wrote one book on golf?
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 02:13:28 PM »
Patric's spoken English was just as colourful. He had a complete command of the English language. I don't know why he didn't write another golf book. He gave up golf completely at quite a young age.

I don't think you can play the same Cader any more. The periscope is still there, but the hill over which you play had the top taken off it, and the intervening ground is nowhere near as nasty. http://www.aberdoveygolf.co.uk/ There is a hole-by-hole guide.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 03:27:38 PM »
What a wonderful book!  My first edition arrived, courtesy of Amazon and its associates, this morning for the princely sum of £7 (plus postage).  I've only dipped in so far but it looks every bit as good as this thread suggests.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back