News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Garrett

The American Golfer, Golf Illustrated, and Golf Books
« on: May 29, 2008, 04:29:15 PM »
Good afternoon folks,

First off, I'm ecstatic to be a new member of this wonderful on-line community.  For many years now, I've been a lurker who occasionally read the forums and often read through the course profiles.  I'm glad to now be on the "inside."  It is obvious from reading that many of you know each other quite well.  It goes without saying that I've always been a fan of golf and golf course architecture.  In my past, I graduated from the Penn State PGM program, having had the privilege to intern at the Inverness Club, Whistling Straits, and finally intern and work as an Assistant Pro at one of the TPC clubs in the northeast.  Despite leaving the industry a year and a half ago, golf still consumes my mind.

Now, on to my post.  I'll first apologize if these topics have been covered before.  I've searched and found bits and pieces, but thought that I would ask in one topic.  Since my high school days, I've been collecting books about golf and golf course architecture.  I'd like to now turn my attention to collecting issues of golf magazines from the early part of the last century, preferably those containing significant and relevant work by the great writers like Darwin, Rice, Keeler, etc., and of course, the great architects.  The American Golfer and Golf Illustrated immediately come to mind.  Does anyone know any websites that 1) sell such issues and 2) outline the content of the issues of these magazines?

As well, any suggestions for websites which sell classic golf and golf architecture books?

Thank you in advance.

Peter Wagner

Re: The American Golfer, Golf Illustrated, and Golf Books
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
Hi Chris,

You might start here:

http://www.golfcollectors.com/index.php

And check out their 'links' page for some more.

- Peter

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
Chris, for American Golfer and Golf Illustrated, the USGA's website has a very comprehensive archive of those magazines. I use it alot.

For books, try Classics of Golf.

Depending on what book you are looking for and what you are willing to pay, there are various other sources as well. Anything by Geoff Shackelford and Brad Klein is worth having. As far as classics, there are 9 or 10 that are cornerstones.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 08:50:01 PM »
http://search.la84foundation.org/search?site=default_collection&client=default_frontend&output=xml_no_dtd&proxystylesheet=default_frontend&proxycustom=<HOME/>

Chris,

The link above is a great link for old issues of the American Golfer. Everything in PDF.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back