News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Mike Young's Longshadow Honored!
« on: May 23, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
I was just browsing through the Golfweek's Best Courses You Can Play booklet that arrived yesterday, and was delighted to see Mike Young's Longshadow Golf Club listed as #4 in Georgia, trailing only Cuscowilla, Sea Island (Seaside) and the Club at Savannah Harbor.  Longshadow is placed ahead of such respected courses as the Great Waters, Oconee and National courses at Reynolds Plantation, the Legends Club at Chateau Elan, and Sea Island (Plantation), in the top 10 in Georgia.

Well done GolfWeek raters, and well done Mike Young!  8)

Those of us were lucky (and smart) enough to play in the Dixie Cup at Longshadow in October had an early opportunity to see what a really fun, interesting and challenging course Mike designed and built there.

By the way, the World Woods courses (Pine Barrens and Rolling Oaks) are listed #2 and #4 respectively in the Florida state listings.  Pine Barrens for sure, and Rolling Oaks most likely, are on the slate for this year's Dixie Cup in October, and I think John Cullum and Mike Whitaker need some more players to button up details. I'll track that down and bump it up.

Again, props to Mike Young for this recognition of his excellent work at Longshadow.

BCrosby

Re: Mike Young's Longshadow Honored!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 05:08:35 PM »
Congrats Mike. Great news.

And to think, I knew you when...

Bob

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 05:34:53 PM »
Mike, It's all in the name...  ;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 05:48:16 PM »
Congratulations, Mike!  I think I posted this somewhere a few months back but it got lost in another thread.  This is well-deserved, and anyone in the area needs to go see the course.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 06:25:53 PM »
Congrats to Mike and to Paul Donnelly, the course owner for having such great foresight.

The 2d green rocks (no bunkers) and the back nine is sick!

That's "sick" in the new sense of the word meaning awesome, not "sick" as in the old sense of the word meaning "Down With Disease."

Hehehehehe...I said "Down With Disease." ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 06:54:22 PM »
Congrats to Mike and to Paul Donnelly, the course owner for having such great foresight.

That's "sick" in the new sense of the word meaning awesome, not "sick" as in the old sense of the word meaning "Down With Disease."

Jay, is that in the same spirit as "Sometimes 'Bad' is Good" - Huey Lewis and the News?

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 08:20:27 PM »
Thanks guys for the comments.....
I hope it lives up to some of these expectations but it is frustrating here in GA for new projects because , as with LS, we still cannot water fairways and it needs water....it has been two years this season where we were not allowed to water fairways and that can have an impact on a grow-in....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 11:30:07 PM »
I hope it lives up to some of these expectations but it is frustrating here in GA for new projects because , as with LS, we still cannot water fairways and it needs water....it has been two years this season where we were not allowed to water fairways and that can have an impact on a grow-in....

The only upside is fast & firm, right?  ::)

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 11:32:28 PM »

The only upside is fast & firm, right?  ::)

I've never hit so many 240 yard 3-irons off the tee!  There's defeinitely a happy medium when it comes to water availability, but the course was running perfectly the weekend we saw it.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 11:34:02 PM »
Raters take a lot of flak here, but they get it right now and then; this is one of those times.  Great to see recognition for a wonderful piece of GCA.  Way to go, Mike Young.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »
It was a great thrill to play L.S. at the Dixie Cup.  It is a blast to play, with many very interesting design features.  I know that growth and development around the course, and with a properly suited club house will come some day.  But, to tell you the truth, I really liked it the way we had it, with modest clubhouse, and very homespun and unpretentious place to just enjoy the golf course.  It is a beautiful setting to match the high voltage hole designs.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 12:54:26 AM »
I believe it should be ranked higher.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 07:44:24 AM by MikeCirba »

Tim Bert

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 07:41:30 AM »
It was a great thrill to play L.S. at the Dixie Cup.  It is a blast to play, with many very interesting design features.  I know that growth and development around the course, and with a properly suited club house will come some day.  But, to tell you the truth, I really liked it the way we had it, with modest clubhouse, and very homespun and unpretentious place to just enjoy the golf course.  It is a beautiful setting to match the high voltage hole designs.

I agree.  I forget that it is planned to have houses in the future because it was so perfect as we played it.  Fortunately, most of the housing looked like it was going to be far from play.  Still a distraction to look at for sure, but it shouldn't impact the course from what I could tell.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2008, 08:07:16 AM »

Jay, is that in the same spirit as "Sometimes 'Bad' is Good" - Huey Lewis and the News?

Yes...the same MUSICAL spirit...

...Maybe soon at Long Shadow there'll be "1,000 barefoot children outside, dancin on Mike's lawn..."

By the way...big hello to you and to Brother William, and to Mike Mosely.  Bro W, we have to find a name for Mike from TNOTR...if you're gonna saddle me with Adso, the McB should be Ubertino of Casale.

wsmorrison

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2008, 08:25:17 AM »
Well done, Mike.  Very well done!  See you soon.
WSM

Kalen Braley

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 08:28:03 AM »
Congrats Mike,

Even though I'm a left coast guy, all the pics look fantastic, and its on my must play list if/when I make it to that part of the country.

Good job!!

RJ_Daley

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 01:48:11 PM »
Jay, when you are in GA, I will mercifully just call you "Brother Bubba".  You have to stop that TNOTR reference cause ya'll are making Mike Y and his peeps nervous...  ;) ;D ::)

Or, we could make a serious bid for his "Dixie Cup Dork" award next year!  It might be the only covetted thing I can ever win in golf...  ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
Oh live a little, gas pedals the vertical one on the right.

Mike Y, "down with disease" is a phish song...

RJ_Daley

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 03:06:32 PM »
Jay, sign up for Dixie Cup!  We need rematches with McBride and whoever his ringer is this year!  ::) ;D   We'll sort out the nick names, alter egos, and Dork contenders later!  ;D ;D ;D

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
Mike Young,

I did not see this when I sent you the IM. Now it would appear that a dinner at Brother Jimmy's is required!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 07:31:35 PM »
Jay, sign up for Dixie Cup!  We need rematches with McBride and whoever his ringer is this year!  ::) ;D   We'll sort out the nick names, alter egos, and Dork contenders later!  ;D ;D ;D

I'll try to make it Brother William.  The scriptorium is warm this time of year, so my fingers dont ache as I hold the stylus, but I have to ask the abbot's permission.  tell Ubertino I want another shot at him - and this time my shin splints will behave AND I'm hitting the ball much better...good enough to give Old Bernard Gui a run for his money and Cardinal Del pogetto as well.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back