News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Truth in broadcasting
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:27:58 PM »
I am still watching the current tournament on TV

I popped over to the computer logged into PGA Tour and see that Ruji Imada        beat Kenny Perry in a play-off. Not a mention that this was pre -recorded.

Have I missed something?  Dave Schmidt, I agree with everything you wrote earlier.

Bob

Bill_McBride

Re: Truth in broadcasting
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
Must be a time delay.  I'm watching the tournament now after playing earlier, but guess I can turn it off!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
4th round went off early due to the threat of rain.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 05:35:11 PM »
I was looking forward to the playoff... :'(
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
I am still watching the current tournament on TV

I popped over to the computer logged into PGA Tour and see that Ruji Imada        beat Kenny Perry in a play-off. Not a mention that this was pre -recorded.

Have I missed something?  Dave Schmidt, I agree with everything you wrote earlier.

Bob

Bob:
Must be a time delay of some type.  I watched the playoff but was not aware it was not live.
Best
Dave

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »
Time delay or not, the viewer should be aware of this and on a continuous basis throughout the broadcast.

To call this live coverage is a fraud upon the viewing public.

Bob

Joe Bausch

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:19:27 PM »
Time delay or not, the viewer should be aware of this and on a continuous basis throughout the broadcast.

To call this live coverage is a fraud upon the viewing public.

Bob

I agree that the viewer should be made aware that the coverage was tape-delayed.

However, in the hour or more of the coverage I watched today I don't remember anyone saying it was 'live'.  Nitpickin' if true, but at least they weren't lying.  :)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 08:57:08 PM »
they do it every week when they try to pass off a tape delayed amazing shot as live.

They were busted multiple times at The Masters when the amen corner internet broadcast would show you the live versions as much as 5 minutes before CBS would show you the delayed version (and never mention it was delayed)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:13:20 PM »
I realized this the other way around.  I was popping in to pgatour.com to see the early guys off and see if anyone was making a run and it said the leaders were on the 3rd hole.  I tried to find it on TV and it was nowhere to be found, so I figured they would show it at the regular time on delay.  It's odd that they don't advertise it isn't live.  I guess they figure if people go online and see who won that they won't bother to watch.

Instead of seeing the 5 minute lay-up on TV, I got to watch the seemingly indefinite pause from the time they posted his 17th hole score to the time they posted his 18th hole score on the web site.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 09:20:45 PM »
At one point during the broadcast they put up a visual saying the event had been previously recorded.  But I only saw it once, and I don't think any of the broadcasters mentioned it.

Steve Kline

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 09:47:54 PM »
The pre-recorded visual was flashed on the screen regularly throughout the broadcast.

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:43 PM »
Bob, another explanation could be that you saw a live broadcast of a rigged contest!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 11:19:32 PM »
The pre-recorded visual was flashed on the screen regularly throughout the broadcast.

Steve,

Are you on the West Coast, I never saw it all?

Bob

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 11:27:39 PM »

Steve,

Bob

Bob, I saw the "pre-recorded" at various intervals as well here in San Diego.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »

Steve,

Bob

Bob, I saw the "pre-recorded" at various intervals as well here in San Diego.

Just shows you how much I was really watching whilst reading the New York Times Review of Books.

Bob

Steve Kline

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:45 AM »
I'm in Cincinnati.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2008, 08:08:57 AM »
And of course it was recorded live, then shown later. So the play-by-play was live for the commentators.

Came home while it was playing, looked on the internet and saw it was about 5 holes ahead. Then watched but never referred to net for final results. Worked ok to keep some drama.

Imada has had a hell of a year.

Doug

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2008, 10:18:13 AM »
4th round went off early due to the threat of rain.

At the beginning of the broadcast, they said they were playing threesomes and starting half the field on the tenth, because of the threat of bad weather. That usually means the broadcast is prerecorded, but they did not say so! It is almost as if they wanted people to believe that it was live.

So anytime you see them playing threesomes on Sunday, you can turn off the TV and check the result online.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Its my understanding that this has been done on occasion for years on Tour.  East Coast will get it live and the West Coast will get the "live" re-broadcast an hour or so later.

Gary Daughters

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2008, 09:13:47 PM »
Bob,

I think you were reading either The New York Review of Books or the New York Times Book Review, but not the New York Times Review of Books.

:)
THE NEXT SEVEN:  Alfred E. Tupp Holmes Municipal Golf Course, Willi Plett's Sportspark and Driving Range, Peachtree, Par 56, Browns Mill, Cross Creek, Piedmont Driving Club

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back