News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dieter Jones

My home course is built on flat land. There are undulations here and there but nothing more significant than 2 to 3 metres across the entire course.

I am looking for examples from courses around the world that easily demonstrate (via pictures and descriptions) that it is possible to construct holes of great interest on this type of land. I need to use them to convince my fellow members and committee that this is possible on land like ours.

They don't have to be "the" signature hole on a course but I'd prefer holes that stand out without the need to play them several times to appreciate their greatness.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Bob Jenkins

Re: Examples of signature holes (no water or elevation changes)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:41:50 PM »

Dieter,

Just thinking of a course I have played recently, the 14th at Pasatiempo comes to mind. I doubt there is any significant elevation change from tee to green but the undulations in the fairway, which are probably no more than 6' or two meters, really make the hole interesting. Not sure if I would call it a signature hole because the undulations would not show up that much on a photo as would water, a deep drop, etc. but it is a very interesting and respected hole, especially from what I have seen from those on this website.

Regards

Dieter Jones

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 03:18:59 AM »
Thanks Bob, I'll check it out.

They don;t have to be signature holes just as long as there are some key features that make it clear that they are interesting and strategic. I need to be able to show this fact easliy to people who aare never going to get the opportunity to actually play the holes once (yet alone several times) to appreciate what it has to offer.
Never argue with an idiot. They will simply bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

John Sheehan

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:20:56 PM »
Dieter,
I would think Talking Stick North's 12th hole would be a good example.  Per Ran's write up: 

12th hole, 360 yards: An excellent match play hole, with a dry wash splitting the fairway. By going down the narrow left side, between the wash and the boundary, the player can knock it within 20 yards of the green. However, such a play would be unlikely in stroke play, as the slightest draw can land in the fairway and roll effortlessly out of bounds. Finding the wash is not death as being in it is usually no worse than having a marginal lie in a bunker.

If I knew how to insert his picture, I'd do so.  You can see the entire profile here, with picture:  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/talkingstick000182.html

It's a fun hole to play.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 08:24:51 PM »
How about the entire 18 at TOC or Carnoustie...

Bart

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:30:53 PM »
Dieter, Harbor Town has very little elevation changes and some of the finer holes that hve no water are #9, 13,16. Fun but challenging!

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
How about the entire 18 at TOC or Carnoustie...

Bart

Disqualified!!!!!!!

Carnoustie has lots of water and TOC has major elevation change on the green ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back